Scariest gaming moments of all time

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

slacey1070

Re: Scariest gaming moments of all time

Post by slacey1070 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:33 am

I physically jumped from my seat when I first came across a rockpile in Dungeon Master - "Oh look, some rocks, I'll hit those... holy s**t!"
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

fahrenheit1987

Post by fahrenheit1987 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:47 am

I'd been trying to get some sleep in a run down hotel in Innsmouth. A bunch of insane fish men started trying to get into my room to kill me! As I ran through the rooms, slamming doors behind me, pushing wardrobes across the doors, my heart was absolutely pounding and in the end I had to give up on the whole bloody thing because I thought I was going to have a heart attack and I have crazily high blood pressure anyway. Oh my god! Perhaps what made it more scary was that I seemed to have lost the ability to open and close doors. I would close the door and then try to throw the latch but my stupid hands kept opening the door instead. Those bloody fish men really didn't like me! And I have no idea why. Though I did call one of them, 'Goggle Eyes' and tell another that his mum smelled of tuna.

Call of Cthulhu:Dark Corners of the Earth, obviously. Also, for sheer heart pounding scares, the first time I met the T. rex in Tomb Raider.

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:25 am

The bathroom bit in Eternal Darkness. Nothing beats it in my book. Think I may have screamed slightly it was that bad.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:18 pm

Black Ridge wrote:The bathroom bit in Eternal Darkness. Nothing beats it in my book. Think I may have screamed slightly it was that bad.
Oh yes, how did I forget that! Didn't really like the rest of the game but that bit stands out as a scary moment.

Also need to mention the 'oven man' on RE4. Even after multiple playthroughs, it still gets me since I'm just waiting for it to happen :oops:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:43 pm

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the first introduction to The Licker in Resident Evil 2. It wasn't a physical interaction but a manipulation of the camera, which caught The Licker run past the outside of the window, as your turn the corner. I remember jumping out of my chair as a child , as it was the first exposition to something other than a slow zombie, in the game.

alistair_thomas

Post by alistair_thomas » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:44 pm

Silent Hill Origins, specifically the theatre. Playing it in the dark, with headphones... *shudders*

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:14 pm

I like a good scary film, but I can't say I've ever been that scared by a game. The dogs jumping through the window in Resident Evil just seemed to me a reaction test, though they scared my brother so much he wouldn't touch the game again. Alien Trilogy, again on the PS1, had some nervy bits, like when you think you might have spotted an alien before it's noticed you. But when you're being chased by a facehugger it just becomes an annoyance that you can't look down to target it as it gets closer to your feet.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:24 pm

1.FEAR
Early on you descend a ladder. As the view turns around there's that malevolent little girl in the red dress. She was behind you! When you go back up the ladder, of course she's gone.

2.Silent Hill
In the original game when you first hear that siren. Always creeped me out.

3.Call of Cthuhlu Dark Corners of the Earth
The intro, creeping into that dark cellar, a gruesome discovery awaiting you...
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:25 pm

joefish wrote:I like a good scary film, but I can't say I've ever been that scared by a game. The dogs jumping through the window in Resident Evil just seemed to me a reaction test, though they scared my brother so much he wouldn't touch the game again. Alien Trilogy, again on the PS1, had some nervy bits, like when you think you might have spotted an alien before it's noticed you. But when you're being chased by a facehugger it just becomes an annoyance that you can't look down to target it as it gets closer to your feet.
So whats your scariest moment?
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:41 pm

The arms in the corridor of the police station in REsident Evil 2 almost gave the 11 year old me a heart attack.

Nemesis arriving when you least expected him/ had just stored all weapons apart from a pistol.

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:05 pm

Regenerating bad guy in Dead Space 1, definitely felt helpless until I worked out what to do.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:44 pm

The Bath from Eternal Darkness, if we're talking flat out fright jump moments.

For good creepy play on your mind, psychological scares, Slenderman isn't too bad! :) Silent Hill, the early games, excelled in the creepy dept for it's sound genius alone.

Do those emails with the maze and the face that jump out count? :lol:

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:45 pm

retrojc wrote:The arms in the corridor of the police station in REsident Evil 2 almost gave the 11 year old me a heart attack.

Nemesis arriving when you least expected him/ had just stored all weapons apart from a pistol.

Nemesis is a good shout - but hey, as with ever other RE you could simply run through the door to safety. Until he came crashing through said door and kept chasing you :shock:

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:55 am

The clowns on 3dos Killing Time - nothing like turning a corner to some long armed clown sqweeling "whose a good boy".

Also on the ps3 when you install a game and hover on it the tile changes to music or demo tile - Id downloaded Siren Blood curse, putting the controller down to go for a pee. Unbeknownst to me the demo tile is basically a crying then screaming female,im upstairs as this comes on and during a pee caused my flow to misdirect.

http://youtu.be/zo-T9TnupNE

Guitar_Geek

Post by Guitar_Geek » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:11 am

Doom's demons and satanic imagery scared the crap out of me when I was seven, but it was the ending that made me the disturbed kid I am today.