Scariest gaming moments of all time

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ArchaicKoala

Re: Scariest gaming moments of all time

Post by ArchaicKoala » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:40 am

Guitar_Geek wrote:Doom's demons and satanic imagery scared the crap out of me when I was seven, but it was the ending that made me the disturbed kid I am today.
The ceiling crushers in Doom 2 scared me to death, I just wasn't expecting the ceiling to come down and crush me! :shock:

ootini

Post by ootini » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:12 am

Doom was the first game that gave me that little adrenaline kick you'd normally get on a rollercoaster just before you go over the top into a dip. It still happens to me in FPS games the odd time when I fall from a height.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:17 am

Aliens (UK) on the Speccy - the motion tracker, then panic, then the Alien moving along, then more panic, then the Alien moving towards you, then more panic. Then death.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:30 am

The scariest gaming moment I had was when my PC crashed while playing UFO and I found the hard drive had died. Luckily, I managed to get almost all the data from it, and most of the really vital stuff was backed up anyway, but that was a close run thing.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:06 pm

A couple that spring to mind...

The "invisible water creature" in Amnesia takes the top spot. You can't see him, and you can't fight him. If you touch the ground (which is all wet as the corridor has flooded) he'll dash straight toward you and kill you. So you have to masterfully jump from box to table, and make a mad dash for doors where you can to avoid him, all the while hearing the water splashing as he runs right toward you...

Chapter 2 in Project Zero. Hard to nail down exactly one scary point of the game, but chapter 2 (or whichever chapter had the ghost samurai) did it for me. I had to stop playing that game at night after that...

Forbidden Siren. The first two games as a whole are really scary, but if I had to pick just one moment/level from the games it'd have to be the "escape from the house" level. You play as a young primary school student (so you have no weapons) and have to escape the house which is inhabited by a messed up family of Shibitos (kind of like Japanese zombies, but more intelligent). Its really nerve racking as one wrong move means your probably screwed. The scariest part though is the beginning, just watching the "family" go about their day to day routines, its just really un nerving.

Outlast. No particular part, just any time your getting chased and have to think on your feet.

Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth. For the first third to half of the game you have no ammo, so you have to run and hide. The part where the villagers decide to go up to your room and kill you is really scary/awesome. You have to frantically bolt doors to slow the intruders as well as run like your life depends on it (well, it does).
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Guitar_Geek

Post by Guitar_Geek » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:42 pm

ShadowMan wrote:A couple that spring to mind...

The "invisible water creature" in Amnesia takes the top spot. You can't see him, and you can't fight him. If you touch the ground (which is all wet as the corridor has flooded) he'll dash straight toward you and kill you. So you have to masterfully jump from box to table, and make a mad dash for doors where you can to avoid him, all the while hearing the water splashing as he runs right toward you...
Oh yeah, how could I forget about Amnesia?

As a game, it's pretty damn good. But as a constipation aid, it's second to none.

thebear

Post by thebear » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:39 am

Scariest gaming moment?

Jimmy Saville helping a young lad release..................a game

http://retro-gamereviews.blogspot.com/2 ... sle-4.html
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

crusto

Post by crusto » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:09 pm

I jumped out of my skin (as did my sister) when I encountered an alien for the first time when playing Rescue on Fractalus. It took me completely by surprise.

Condemned was another 'horrible' game to play. A sense of oppression all through it and some really jumpy moments, especially when an enemy bursts out of a locker at you!

Also, Half life 2’s prison level. All those blood splattered cells and glimpses of the ant lion tearing people apart on CCTV. You just knew it was only a matter of time until it was your turn. The tension was unbearable!

Eat your nans pants

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:42 pm

When first time loading 'The Way of the Exploding Fist!' tape version of the C64 game when the loading screen came up a almighty scream blasted me! (I had the volume right up at the time) I needed a new pair of underwear! :oops:

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:07 pm

Hearing the Chrysalid noise halfway through a mission on the original X-Com before you've developed decent weapons, knowing you had to leg it back to the bus and at least one of your freshly named squad was going to get their insides eaten and then brought back as a zombie, unless you had him blow himself up with a grenade first. I hate you, Julian Gollop. Also kinda love you too.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:59 pm

Treguard wrote:Hearing the Chrysalid noise halfway through a mission on the original X-Com before you've developed decent weapons, knowing you had to leg it back to the bus and at least one of your freshly named squad was going to get their insides eaten and then brought back as a zombie, unless you had him blow himself up with a grenade first. I hate you, Julian Gollop. Also kinda love you too.
There is one good weapon against the Chrysalid early on and that's the autocannon with incendiary ammo.

In other words, kill it! Kill it with fire!

BEARD!

Post by BEARD! » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:01 am

Thief Deadly Shadows - Shalebridge Cradle. The moment you get into the inhabited part of the asylum and one of the patients runs past a window at the bottom of the corridor

djslope

Post by djslope » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:20 pm

Not really a scary game but...

I was playing tomb raider 1 on the ps1 when I shoulda been in bed at like 2amish ON A SCHOOL NIGHT!!! so I was on edge anyway with all the lights off and my headphones in!!!

and when the t-rex showed up I shat my pants hahahaha

anyone that had that game surly knows what I'm talking about, Its so funny looking back now

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:25 pm

Another one that's not really scary, but will be terrifying for anyone scared of bugs - Most of the "Earth Defence Force" series.

I've only played the 2nd (Global Defence Force) on the PS2, but there's something rather satisfying in swatting legions of building-sized insects across a variety of cities. Alternatively you could just level London (I was swatting that fly, officer - the Houses of Parliament were just collateral damage...)
Where logic won't work, I will

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:23 am

The first time you get chased in Clock Tower. No weapons, just the ability to run. Sends the heart rate rocketing.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb