Chrono Cross worth playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

rolan

Chrono Cross worth playing?

Post by rolan » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:59 pm

I'm at the start of the game and am just unbelievably bored and letdown with the game at present as it's nothing like chrono trigger and I find the battles dull and uninteresting. Does it get better? Everything just seems drawn out and dull.

gman72

Re: Chrono Cross worth playing?

Post by gman72 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:15 pm

I remember quite liking it back in the day but then i never completed it and can no longer remember why... it may have been boredom or I may have got stuck on a boss... great graphics and music though and highly collectable today. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Misery

Post by Misery » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:40 am

The battles in particular never really get any better.

As is the usual with Square's games, it remains easy and can generally be done in a pretty mindless way (basic attacks over and over) while ignoring half of the mechanics.

There's the occaisional vaguely annoying boss, but that's about it.

As for the story stuff, that bit is very subjective.

SonicTheHedgehog

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:15 am

Ironically i much preferred Cross to it's prequel. It was actually Chrono Trigger i could never take to or get into and found boring but in fairness i was alot younger and didn't appreciate RPG'S as much.

Overall i found Chrono Cross to be a brilliant game with some of the best graphics on the PS1 and some of the best music of all time. It's only negative is it can be a bit too vague at times in terms of where to go.
The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:07 pm

One of the best rpgs of all time, graphics that push the PS1 to its limits, wonderful music, a wide cast of excellent characters, an original battle system and an epic story. So, yes.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark