Post a classic game box cover

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: Post a classic game box cover

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:54 pm

My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:01 pm

good to see the team recognising how popular this topic is and finally getting it in the mag.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:31 am

Yeah, did it really need a separate thread though? Why not just carry on with this one?
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:55 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Yeah, did it really need a separate thread though? Why not just carry on with this one?
would have been easier, they probably wanted to make it official, so now you have everybody reposting the covers they posted here....

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:57 am

after reading the latest issue:

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:29 pm

A few more works of art:

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:30 pm

Been playing some Golden Axe again recently so here are my 2 favourite cover variants from the series:

I do like the Euro/Japanese cover for the original but once you've seen the dodgy anatomy then you can't unsee it...
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:13 pm

Megamixer wrote:I do like the Euro/Japanese cover for the original but once you've seen the dodgy anatomy then you can't unsee it...
But the Genesis one is just as bad, if not worse!

Golden Axe 2 is good though.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:32 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Megamixer wrote:I do like the Euro/Japanese cover for the original but once you've seen the dodgy anatomy then you can't unsee it...
Granted, granted...I still don't think it's quite as bad as the PAL version though which seems to have body parts from different reference photos stitched together unconvincingly (once you've really looked and noticed - ignorance is bliss!). One thing I just spotted with the Genesis version is that the bottom of the woman's sword is completely missing :lol:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:30 pm

that golden axe 2 one is by boris Vallejo - if you like that sort of thing image search his name on google and get ready to be assaulted by a veritable ocular orgy of dragons and scantily clad women.

he did a few megadrive covers if I remember rightly.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:12 am

Megamixer wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Granted, granted...I still don't think it's quite as bad as the PAL version though which seems to have body parts from different reference photos stitched together unconvincingly (once you've really looked and noticed - ignorance is bliss!). One thing I just spotted with the Genesis version is that the bottom of the woman's sword is completely missing :lol:
The sword looks like its been pasted in just to fit on the cover, its not at an angle she'd be holding. I doubt she's noticed, since her broken back and dislocated shoulder will have distracted her.

I have.a few of Vallejo's books from my time in a book club, back when those leaflets (and the home computer club) were routinely stuffed into game mags.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:31 pm

HEAVYface wrote:that golden axe 2 one is by boris Vallejo - if you like that sort of thing image search his name on google and get ready to be assaulted by a veritable ocular orgy of dragons and scantily clad women.

he did a few megadrive covers if I remember rightly.
I knew one of them was by Boris but I couldn't remember which and yeah, I do like that sort of thing (Frank Frazetta as well). If only there was a modern Golden Axe game with the same look and feel (not the awful disaster that was Beast Rider).

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:50 am

Haven't looked through all 11 pages, but I'm assuming someone pasted this. ;)