The Best Game You've Bought For a Pound or Less

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SpockIOM

Re: The Best Game You've Bought For a Pound or Less

Post by SpockIOM » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:32 am

Recently picked up a few N64 and PS1 games 50p each from a charity shop. Some of the best in the haul were Pilotwings 64, Spacestation Silicon Valley, Final Doom, Tomb Raider and (jackpot, by the way) Bubble Bobble/Rainbow Islands. I kinda felt bad about only paying 50p for BB/RI, but I did point out to them that the copy of SOTN they had should be put on Ebay instead and showed them why... I'm not cruel enough to screw a charity out of that sort of money!

Otherwise, I think Mega Man 2 cost about 69p on the Apple App Store.
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

Dave300

Post by Dave300 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:44 pm

I think Aiken's Artifact for the PC from HMV for 99p!

SWSt

Post by SWSt » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:22 am

I picked up a big box PC version of Mortal Kombat 1 &2 for PC for 50p. About 12 months later, I'd got bored with it and sold it on ebay. It went for just over £200! To this day, I have no idea why it was worth so much.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:08 pm

SWSt wrote:I picked up a big box PC version of Mortal Kombat 1 &2 for PC for 50p. About 12 months later, I'd got bored with it and sold it on ebay. It went for just over £200! To this day, I have no idea why it was worth so much.

most people bought it on mega drive snes or amiga I assume I seem to remember there where alot of issues running them on some pcs too as I had ok specs for mk 2 and 3 but 3 never worked the amiga ones I got mk1 for 99p and mk 2 I bought a huge box of loose amiga disks for 3 quid with over 1000 disks at carboot and amongst the master copies and save disks and copiedgames and hombrew gamewas a copy sof the amiga game and as my pc disk broke so I now have copied amiga disks in a pc big box.

as for 1 pound or less the ninja collection football glory and all the classic amiga sports management games 99p each
This guy are sick

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:08 pm

I did once get a copy of Probotector on the NES for a quid. But... er... it didn't work.

I eventually got a working copy but it was rather more expensive. 20 times more expensive, to be specific.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:33 am

Max Payne 1 and 2 for Xbox for 75p each was decent value.

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:47 am

Back in 2000 I picked up a copy of Street Gangs for the NES (boxed no instructions) for £1 from a car boot sale. I'd never heard of the game at the time but I'm definitely glad I picked it up as I still find it to be a great game :D

The week prior to that though I picked up a NES from the same guy with 3 games, 2 controllers and a zapper for £3 :D

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:55 am

I managed to pick up a copy of Final Fantasy IX in excellent condition for 50p earlier this year. A complete copy of Power Strike on the Master System also ran me a similar price a few years ago.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:47 pm

oddworld abe's exodus £1 from a charity shop. funny story actually, i went to a nearby town and was having a mooch in charity shops, one guy was really doing my head in, deliberatly blocking all the area the games were in and then lifting them all out to show his kid, wouldnt mind but the guy stunk as well, anyway he shows the kid exodus and asks if that is one he used to have, it looks like it, kid says it wasnt, he had one like it but not the same, i work out this is odyssey and smelly man puts game on shelf. they buy some shovelware, I buy exodus. hopefully he keeps enough money to buy soap.

oh and onimusha 3, mint condition with the bonus disc £1

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:33 am

Heart of Darkness for a measly 1p at Gamestation. I've picked up other bargains for under a pound, but I doubt I'll ever pick up that level of bargain again.

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:44 am

Picked up Hercs Adventure on PS1 for 50p from a cash converters. Seems pretty hard to find for a reasonable price.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:16 am

It ain't special in terms of resale value as it's pretty much rrp for a 2nd hand copy, but Midway Arcade Treasures on the PS2 is such good value for 99p,

Worth it for Smash TV alone

Worth it for Robotron alone

Worth it for Gauntlet alone

Worth it for defender alone....

Etc etc etc.....
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:22 am

I can't think of many games that cost me less than £1.

I can remember GameStation having a retro clearance and selling n64 games for 15p each, managed to get Resident Evil 2 cart in that bundle which I thought was a real bargain.

In bunddles, I have gotten large amounts of games with consoles for a decent price which worked out would have been about 90p per a game; games such as GodHand, Sotc, FF7 etc.

supermario

Post by supermario » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:10 am

I got a brand new Bulletstorm for the 360 last year for £1 from Morrisons as some careless person had marked 3 of them down to £1 by accident, they others were snapped up at the same time so the punters were all well chuffed.

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:24 am

I got Breath of Fire for me old GBA for £1 sterling on ebay, yay! and had to pay a quid postage. Doh! almost...
Scott me up beamie!