The Best Game You've Bought For a Pound or Less

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

slacey1070

The Best Game You've Bought For a Pound or Less

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:36 am

I was thinking about how cheap quality games have become for the PS2, so I thought I'd pose the question above, whats your best game you've picked up for a pound of less...

Don't have to be valuable, just great games you got cheap.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Roo

Re: The Best Game You've Bought For a Pound or Less

Post by Roo » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:44 am

This gives me fond memories of the 'King of the Quid' vote threads that were on here a few years back, with the same sort of idea. I remember getting Mario Kart: Double Dash!! in Shelter for a pound during then.

The time I asked Cash Convertors if they had any N64 games in stock, then told 'no' was good: I was then stopped by the sales assistant on my way out and told 'hauld on, we just got these in!' before watching him bring out near-immaculates copies of Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time, Perfect Dark, Super Mario 64 and Diddy Kong Racing on N64 for 99p each. Pikmin 2 for 69p in the same shop later that summer (2010?) was even cheaper, and perhaps even as good!

noobish hat

Post by noobish hat » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:47 pm

I went through a phase a while back where, inspired by a few blog posts, I was trying to see how many times I could get five games for only five pounds (and this was inclusive of postage on ebay too). Best buys were Kururin and GTA on GBA, Ghost Hunter on PS2, Chu Chu Rocket on DC, and Tomb Raider 2 on PS1. Not mind-blowing deals (no rarities), but all great games, and finding ANYTHING for a pound these days is an achievement.

noobish hat

Post by noobish hat » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:48 pm

Oh, and worst buy was without a shadow of a doubt, Hidden and Dangerous on PS1. Absolute unadulterated pap.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:53 pm

King of the Quids was a feature on Weekend Gamer, a joint effort by Opa-Opa and SirClive. A little ahead of the curve there before videogame shows became common on YouTube.

I can't remember what I entered :oops:

It was good fun doing it, but I think we'd need to bump the price up a little to do it now.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:18 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:King of the Quids was a feature on Weekend Gamer, a joint effort by Opa-Opa and SirClive. A little ahead of the curve there before videogame shows became common on YouTube.

It was good fun doing it, but I think we'd need to bump the price up a little to do it now.
I was always crap at that. During one of the comps I got a Sega saturn for £1 - but that was hardware so don't think counted.

I would go for a fiver these days myself.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:37 pm

Can't remember what I paid for most of my pre-owned stuff :oops: I'd probably opt for Sensible Soccer 2006 on the PS2 which a lot of people seem to dislike for some reason but I've had it a few years and it's still the most frequently spun disc in my PS2 at the moment when I'm not in the mood for ploughing through an in-progress JRPG on another console.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:25 pm

Shenmue 2 on DC springs to mind

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:56 pm

Many moons ago, I recall buying loads of old Big Boxed PC Games from Gamestation for about 50p a game, picked up all sorts like Syndicate Wars, Dreamweb and a few compilations.

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:09 pm

I use to either speccy or C64 or Amstrad tapes 4 for a £1 from carboot among the audio tapes & the seller has not bothered if it is computer games tapes!

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:23 pm

King of the Quids was a feature on Weekend Gamer, a joint effort by Opa-Opa and SirClive. A little ahead of the curve there before videogame shows became common on YouTube.

I really miss weekend gamer. I came second in the 'king of the quids' over on weekend gamer. Then I was 1st here in 2011 :)

I was thinking the other day we really should try and start it all up again
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:36 pm

Paradroid for the C64. Brilliant value at any price, tbh.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:50 pm

rocky1980 wrote:

I really miss weekend gamer. I came second in the 'king of the quids' over on weekend gamer. Then I was 1st here in 2011 :)

I was thinking the other day we really should try and start it all up again
Ha yeah I remember that, was it the complete guitar hero stuff for 99p you won it here rocky?
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:28 pm

I was really pleased to get SWIV on Gameboy Color in Poundland, and a couple of years later getting the dual pack of Mercury Games on PSP, bargains.

ulala

Post by ulala » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:28 am

I remember getting a black gamecube, power supply and orig pad for £1 from a bargain bin at Gamestation.