Official Dreamcast Magazine Dummy Issue Zero

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mallo

Official Dreamcast Magazine Dummy Issue Zero

Post by Mallo » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:51 pm

I was just rummaging through some boxes when I found this... It's a perfectly-preserved copy of the Official Dreamcast Magazine dummy issue zero, produced by Dennis Publishing in 1999 to win the Sega license (which they achieved).

Only 100 copies of this were ever printed, and it must rate as THE most sumptuous magazine dummy ever produced, with extremely high quality paper and a tri-fold-out cover, plus spot UV finishing on a UV matt cover, and silver, fifth-colour inks used liberally throughout.

Anyone ever seen one of these before?

I'm thinking about putting it on eBay, but thought I'd drop a mention on here first.

sludgefeast.co.uk - the slimy underbelly of human existence Image Image Image

Mallo

Re: Official Dreamcast Magazine Dummy Issue Zero

Post by Mallo » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:59 pm

Some more photos of inside the mag...

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:05 pm

Wow that is beautiful by magazine standards. Not something I'll probably be able to afford but I still think it is really cool (I collect Gamecube and GamesTM magazines anyway).

Mallo

Post by Mallo » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:30 pm

Just been speaking to the original editor of the Official Dreamcast Magazine, Mark Higham. He said this about it:

"I think we only printed about 50 copies. It was only a dummy to show the folks at the pitch so we went with a minimum order. There were two versions though - I think there were 50 of each."

I then asked how to differentiate the two versions, to which he replied:

"The mags had different covers. One was a photo of girl with a controller, the other was a mock-up of Virua Fighter (I think)."

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:08 pm

I remember getting the preview version of it from Woolworth's (maybe about 16 pages long?). I just remember the ratio of screenshots to pictures of those "models" was WAY out of proportion.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

SonicTheHedgehog

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:01 am

Wow a great collectors item. I have every issue of the Official Dreamcast mag including the special issue that has that girl on the front with turn me on but no other writing.

Other rare UK games mags are Edge Magazine Issue 0 and CVG magazine issue 1. I remember seeing Edge issue 0 in a newsagents near where i lived way back in 1993. I came so close to buying it but decided to save my money for i think the newest issue of the Official Sega Magazine. I didnt realise at the time how lucky i was just to see it in that newsagents. Most people don't even know it exists but it does and there are copies floating out there somewhere.
The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.

Mallo

Post by Mallo » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:15 am

GigaPepsiMan wrote:Here is an example of the other, non-limited version of issue zero. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301249839167? ... EBIDX%3AIT
Interesting. I've never seen that before, and I worked on the mag! :-)

quantum

Post by quantum » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:35 am

SonicTheHedgehog wrote:Other rare UK games mags are Edge Magazine Issue 0 and CVG magazine issue 1.
Rare? Try finding any copy of PC Leisure... :(

How about a game screenshot quiz? Amiga, DOS, Megadrive and Commodore 64.

SonicTheHedgehog

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:49 am

GigaPepsiMan wrote:Here is an example of the other, non-limited version of issue zero. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301249839167? ... EBIDX%3AIT
Yes that's the one i have.
The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:15 pm

quantum wrote:
SonicTheHedgehog wrote:Other rare UK games mags are Edge Magazine Issue 0 and CVG magazine issue 1.
Rare? Try finding any copy of PC Leisure... :(
I have (or had) issues of that. Probably still in the loft, though I recycled a load of PC mags a few years ago.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:34 pm

SonicTheHedgehog wrote:
Did that one come in a foil bag?

SonicTheHedgehog

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:26 pm

Morkin wrote:
SonicTheHedgehog wrote:
Did that one come in a foil bag?
Yeah thats right with a video inside showcasing the early DC games.

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:23 am

About a year and a half back, one of the designers of the original Nintendo Official Magazine (NOM) sold off quite a few issue zero / test copy mags from the era, they each sold around the £30 mark on ebay, one of them was the mock up to try and obtain the contract for Official PlayStation Magazine (which they did not get). He also sold the office folder bound copies of Mean Machines and other mags (which had all been put in a skip) they went incredibly low between £20-£30 for the whole lot. It was only when I saw those issues, I realised the some gaming mags I'd just sold for something silly like 50p were test issues. doh! I had thought they were copies with errors or something.
Never seen that DC mag though, imagine you'd get a fair bit for it.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:19 am

SonicTheHedgehog wrote:
Yeah thats right with a video inside showcasing the early DC games.
I remember getting very excited when I bought that & then out came DC-UK which I also loved. Wish I'd kept all those issues.