"Off the beaten track" PS2 classics

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

slacey1070

"Off the beaten track" PS2 classics

Post by slacey1070 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:28 am

For some reason, I keep picking up random PS2 games, despite not having turned the PS2 on for months. Anyway, I got to thinking, what "off the beaten track" gems are there for the PS2? I'm looking for the things you can find cheap, but which are great fun and aren't usually mentioned in "best games" lists.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: "Off the beaten track" PS2 classics

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:01 am

Kuri Kuri Mix (Amazon price: one penny!) - Great little co-operative two-player puzzle-platformer thing, spent many an evening on this one.

X-Treme Express (Amazon price, again - one penny) - A racing game using trains, surprisingly addictive. Hopping lines, breaking at the stations on time, all good.

Splatter Master (slightly more expensive, as in £3.72) - A scrolling beat-em-up where you play as a pumpkin-headed, chainsaw-wielding midget.

Steel Dragon EX (£4.97) - Fairly run-of-the-mill vertical shoot-em-up, but still fun. Two games on one disc really, the other one being Gekioh Shooting King (previously available on PS1).

Fantavision (one penny!) - Launch game which has you trying to do an impressive fireworks display, I love this game.

Flipnic (one penny) - Weird sort-of pinball game, with your ball frequently going against gravity and the table morphing all over the place.

Sega Classics Collection (£2.20) - Cheap compilation of Sega remakes, worth it for Fantasy Zone alone, which has a new fancy 3D bonus level.

Assault Suits Valken (£2.96) - It's that good SNES game, Cybernator, only on PS2. Smashing.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:07 am

SOS: The Final Escape (Disaster Report, for the non-European set) is a rather cool adventure game about surviving a natural disaster. eBay puts it around £10 but you can probably acquire it cheaper in the wild. The sequel, Raw Danger, is even better. However, it's much harder to acquire in PAL form as 505 Games gave it a very limited release and doesn't seem to have put out a UK version at all (my copy is Italian). That one would run you £25-35.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:24 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:X-Treme Express (Amazon price, again - one penny) - A racing game using trains, surprisingly addictive. Hopping lines, breaking at the stations on time, all good.
Well done!! - game purchased for 1p.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:30 am

Bub&Bob wrote:
TwoHeadedBoy wrote:X-Treme Express (Amazon price, again - one penny) - A racing game using trains, surprisingly addictive. Hopping lines, breaking at the stations on time, all good.
Ha ha, enjoy :D
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Roo

Post by Roo » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:37 am

Rumble Racing (£3-£4): SSX with sports cars and a country western soundtrack.

Sky Odyssey (1p!): Underappreciated halfway-house between serious flight sim and fun arcade-like experience.

Freak-Out! (1p): Wholly original with a totally novel control scheme. Such a memorable experience, censored-grabbing and all.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:18 pm

Detonator (can be usually found in CeX for less than a quid) - compulsive bomb-laying building-demolishing puzzler.

And I don't know how off the beaten track they are but the trio of Midway Arcade Treasures can be picked up ridiculously cheap - I've seen them all marked up at 10p each!

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:32 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:Detonator (can be usually found in CeX for less than a quid) - compulsive bomb-laying building-demolishing puzzler.
Hells yes! I liked this one so much that I uploaded some footage of it to YouTube - at the time, there was basically none.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:30 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
Bub&Bob wrote:
Ha ha, enjoy :D
I thought this was the funniest thing ever for the first 5 minutes or so then I kinda lost interest. Still, the hilarity and madness must be sampled for a single British penny and I can certainly see why the game gets a bit of love.

I'll nominate Mr Moskeeto. You play as a mosquito in a Japanese household, sucking blood from the family. You have to try and remain undetected and not get killed by the humans and you can also mess about with light switches, TV remotes etc. to distract the people and get them to move about thus exposing spots where they can be bitten. It got a bit frustrating for me just past the mid-way point but it's a weird little game that's worth experiencing and shouldn't cost a lot. It's not the most common game to find used in physical shops but I think I paid 50p when I finally spotted a copy.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:31 pm

Everblue 2 is well worth a look, if you fancy something a bit different.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

davyK

Post by davyK » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:57 pm

The PS2 got some nice PAL shmups. These have 60Hz, TATE and high score saves. (Hard to believe some don't have all that but there you go).

Raiden III (really expensive in PAL - if you see this going cheap snap it up)
Homura
Samurai Aces
Dragon Blaze (probably pick of the bunch - gorgeous game)
XII Stag
Psyvariar

And shouts for Sky Odyssey , Detonator and Flipnic.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:50 pm

davyK wrote:The PS2 got some nice PAL shmups. These have 60Hz, TATE and high score saves. (Hard to believe some don't have all that but there you go).

Raiden III (really expensive in PAL - if you see this going cheap snap it up)
Homura
Samurai Aces
Dragon Blaze (probably pick of the bunch - gorgeous game)
XII Stag
Psyvariar
Never heard of Samurai Aces, and Raiden III - ALMOST had that off Amazon recently, but then got refunded because the seller decided it wasn't in good enough condition (right, of course). Got all the rest of those though, and like them all, EXCEPT for XII Stage - just can't get on with that one at all!

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:47 am

What's that really cool cartoonish racing game, kinda RPGish.....I think it's Japanese....Churi-Churi something? Aaargghhh!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:08 am

Choro-Q? Cel Damage?

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:32 am

Both Phantasy Star Universe games are pretty enjoyable as is "Legend of Legaia 2 : Duel Saga", but you won't find them on any top 10 lists - unless one of those lists is of Phantasy Star games... :lol:

The original Monster Hunter is deemed to be a classic game by those who love the series, but personally I've struggled with the controls from day one - I can see what Capcom were thinking by assigning attacks to the right stick, but it's so counter-intuitive that you'll be lucky to get the hang of it within a month.

Of course, a big nomination goes out to the Sega Mega Drive collection for the sheer amount of games on there. The Midway Classics & Capcom Classics collections are also worth a look for the amount of games shoved on there - less so the third Midway classics as it's essentially just a tiny selection of racing games...
Where logic won't work, I will