have you ever bought a game without knowing

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Megamixer

Re: have you ever bought a game without knowing

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:35 pm

Found the disc for Casper inside a pre-owned Saturn. As surprise finds go, it could have been better but it was free.

Also bought the Platinum version of Kingdom Hearts from WHSmith and got the KH2 disc instead. This was when KH2 was a £35-£40 new release and the Platium copy of the first game only £12 and yet I went back to get the disc swapped! I must have thought that playing the games in order was more important than getting a more 'valuable' disc...

Had numerous incidents of buying PS1 games with extra discs shoved in the cases or wrong ones completely. Seems pretty standard if you ever buy quite a lot of them.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:23 am

When I bought my second hand boxed megacd 2 a few years back it was just meant to be the console. When I opened it up when I got it home it only had stuffed at the back boxed copies of final fight and sonic cd :D major score as they were the two main games I wanted at the time.

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:32 am

Only got two examples of this...

1) Bought NFL Quarterback Club '98 for the Nintendo 64. In the box was NFL Quarterback Club '99. And it was a GREAT game. I only chose the '98 version over the '99 version because it was a couple of quid cheaper.

2) Got one of those "Join AOL" discs free with a PC Magazine. Stuck the disc in, and instead of the AOL software, there was the FULL RETAIL VERSION of Sensible World Of Soccer. What an absolute travesty, Sensible Soccer games were always crap, and I actually wanted to join AOL back then. Luckily I had plenty of spare AOL discs to go at. I offloaded the crap game to one of my friends.
ImageImage

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:06 am

Fishsta wrote:Only got two examples of this...

1) Bought NFL Quarterback Club '98 for the Nintendo 64. In the box was NFL Quarterback Club '99. And it was a GREAT game. I only chose the '98 version over the '99 version because it was a couple of quid cheaper.

2) Got one of those "Join AOL" discs free with a PC Magazine. Stuck the disc in, and instead of the AOL software, there was the FULL RETAIL VERSION of Sensible World Of Soccer. What an absolute travesty, Sensible Soccer games were always crap, and I actually wanted to join AOL back then. Luckily I had plenty of spare AOL discs to go at. I offloaded the crap game to one of my friends.
was it swos france 98 by anychance that was a great game
This guy are sick