have you ever bought a game without knowing

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

stayAwhile

have you ever bought a game without knowing

Post by stayAwhile » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:07 am

... for example I once bought wwe svr 2007 but got the newly released 2008 in the case for more then half price or recently when I went to buy payday 2 then relised I didnt have enough ms credits thought I pressed cancel but ended up charging it to my card, but it did turn out to be a good game
This guy are sick

ArchaicKoala

Re: have you ever bought a game without knowing

Post by ArchaicKoala » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:03 pm

I quite recently repurchased Ridge Racer Type4 and instead of the bundled Ridge Racer hires(?) Disc I got a copy of Rage Racer included :)

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:04 pm

A few years ago I bought the doom ultimate collection for PC and was accidentally given Doom 3. Bit of a bugger really as my computer was too crap to run it. Took it back and got the right game cos I'm nice like that.

I also picked up a copy of Abe's Exodus at a jumble sale recently and was very happy to find a copy of Abe's Odyssey in the case as well.
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:20 pm

I once bought what I believed to be Delta Force 2 out of a Gamestation in Glasgow a few years back (en-route to visit some family) - I didn't open the case until I got home and found that the disc inside was actually the first Delta Force. I wasn't able to get back to that Gamestation in time to get the right game (a couple of months later...)
Where logic won't work, I will

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:48 pm

ArchaicKoala wrote:I quite recently repurchased Ridge Racer Type4 and instead of the bundled Ridge Racer hires(?) Disc I got a copy of Rage Racer included :)

rage racer is the best in the series rave racer was good as well
This guy are sick

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:58 pm

Only when I drunk & on ebay at the time but it was a long time ago & can't remember what I bought? :?

themightymartin

Post by themightymartin » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:16 pm

Every time I have bought a disc-based console from a car boot there's always a game in there. The first time I got a secondhand DC there was a copy of zombie's Revenge in there, which was a major bonus for me.

Once I bought one of those "1000 games" type discs for PC. Hidden away on the disc (ie. not in any of the menus), as if it were there by accident, was the full version of Rise of the Triad: Dark War.
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:39 am

GigaPepsiMan wrote:Basically the story of my steam account.
Same here.

I've currently got 158 unplayed games on Steam. I think most of them came from Humble Bundles but I genuinely know nothing about most of them.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:39 am

I have certainly bought a few games without knowing I already own them!!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:04 am

When I got my PS2 (second hand), it had FIFA 98 inside it. Smashing, favourite football game etc.

When I got PaRappa the Rapper, it had Um Jammer Lammy in the box as well, and when I got a second-hand, boxed PSOne, it had Team Buddies, Mr Driller and Micro Machines V3 in the box as well.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:25 am

Brought Quake 3 for the Dreamcast and it also had a Japanese copy of Marvel Vs Capcom 2 inside. Score. X3
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Roo

Post by Roo » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:45 am

Bought a copy of Tiger Woods 2011 for the Wii in Cash Generator for a quid, but it wasn't until I got home that I had seen there were discs for Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, Tiger Woods 2007 and Tiger Woods 2009 slipped behind the instruction manual.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:11 am

I just remembered there - I bought a boxed Game Boy out of a Charity shop a couple of years ago (The post may well be in the "charity shops" thread) - the box said that Super Mario Land & Tetris were included. Inside was Super Mario Land inside the cartridge slot, while in the 2 plastic cases were Tetris (expected) and Dr Mario (unexpected) - the manuals for all 3 were inside too.

EDIT : Found the old post here.
Last edited by gunbladelad on Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Where logic won't work, I will

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:13 pm

Bought a bunch of Saturn games from a charity shop a few months back - inside the case of Hi-Octane (I know it has a bad rep but for 75p I thought it was worth a punt at least) on the second spindle (why did the EA/Bullfrog Saturn cases have those BTW?) was Space Jam.
As AVGN would say, it's like puking on a pile of sh*t!

A much nicer surprise came when I bought my Mega CD supposedly without any games - got it home, opened the disc tray and inside was Sonic CD! :mrgreen:

Picked up a GameCube just for the controllers - inside was Mario Kart: Double Dash!