Games you could never complete

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Rayne

Re: Games you could never complete

Post by Rayne » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:40 pm

llj wrote:This weekend, Valkyria Chronicles. PS3 YLOD on me on chapter 17, can't get the save file out. Last backup save was about 11 chapters ago. :(

It may be a while before I attempt to replay those 11 chapters again. That's like 2 dozen hours ago.
I could never get past the mission with the giant tank, just when I beat it without losing my dear squad members the evil villain appears and destroys me :(

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:24 am

Rayne wrote:
llj wrote:This weekend, Valkyria Chronicles. PS3 YLOD on me on chapter 17, can't get the save file out. Last backup save was about 11 chapters ago. :(

It may be a while before I attempt to replay those 11 chapters again. That's like 2 dozen hours ago.
I could never get past the mission with the giant tank, just when I beat it without losing my dear squad members the evil villain appears and destroys me :(
That's a mission that you really have to lose at least once. Once you work out a fast way of destroying the tank's radiators then it's a matter of pre-empting Selvaria's appearance and placing your units and tank behind cover. She doesn't circle around the enemy tank or the furthest ruin walls for example. After that I just used up all of my CP on boosting my Lancers' anti-armour power and spammed them over and over to destroy the Batomys tank, also using an engineer to refill Lancer ammo. A sniper also helped for picking off enemy infantry reinforcements.

It is a bit of a nasty mission though and I remember getting wiped out completely by Selvaria the first time and thinking "how was I supposed to see THAT coming?"
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

scunny

Post by scunny » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:47 am

seem to recall that is when I also stopped playing it, shame as I was enjoying it. I don't like games that do that, very unfair. Give me my units, show me what I am up against and let battle commence, don't move the goalposts after half the battle is done!
XBL: RainMan 999
(Add me for some overwatch!)

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:04 am

[quote="look at it sideways"]Rainbow Islands (Amiga) - I'd do fine on this right up till the Vampire boss, who always ate away my lives...I beat him once, and I was shaking so much I died straight away in the next level, getting me a game over (I was pretty young at the time...)/quote]

The point where an amazing game became a rubbish unfair one.

There are plenty of games I never finished over the years. R-Type, Kung Fu Master, Ghosts and Goblins, Shinobi, Rolling Thunder.

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:38 am

Bluce_Ree wrote:
There are plenty of games I never finished over the years. R-Type, Kung Fu Master, Ghosts and Goblins, Shinobi, Rolling Thunder.
Those aren't games you play to complete the story arc, you just run out of 10p's. Anyone ever complete gauntlet?
Scott me up beamie!

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:48 am

Scratch_Porkings wrote:
Bluce_Ree wrote:
Those aren't games you play to complete the story arc, you just run out of 10p's.
Nope. They are all games where death takes you back to the start of the level or a checkpoint. All the 10Ps in the world aren't getting me past these ones.

Shinobi does let you continue up until stage 5 at which point it removes that facility.

n1nty

Post by n1nty » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:37 pm

Currently Judgement Silversword on the wonderswan , I can never ever get off level 20 and there's ten more levels after that ! Arrrrr !

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:16 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Rayne wrote:

That's a mission that you really have to lose at least once. Once you work out a fast way of destroying the tank's radiators then it's a matter of pre-empting Selvaria's appearance and placing your units and tank behind cover. She doesn't circle around the enemy tank or the furthest ruin walls for example. After that I just used up all of my CP on boosting my Lancers' anti-armour power and spammed them over and over to destroy the Batomys tank, also using an engineer to refill Lancer ammo. A sniper also helped for picking off enemy infantry reinforcements.

It is a bit of a nasty mission though and I remember getting wiped out completely by Selvaria the first time and thinking "how was I supposed to see THAT coming?"
Right?! I really adored everything about that game but the difficulty hike was so sudden and unexpected I stopped ever playing again. Maybe one day I'll find it in a store and give it another shot.

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:39 am

I have never been able to finish Perfect Dark. Not on N64 and not the rerelease on XBLA either. I forget where I get stuck but it's always the same bit. I think my patience runs out and I refuse to reduce the difficulty! :lol:

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:08 am

There's been loads over the years, but mainly because I lost interest as opposed to being unable to finish the task. One which I just couldn't do though was the original Phantasy Star for the SMS. I kept failing when trying to find my way to the top of the tower at Baya Malay. After numerous attempts I gave up. Years later my brother in law phoned me, out of the blue, gloating that he had finished it. The bastard!

Eat your nans pants

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:46 pm

Rayne wrote:Right?! I really adored everything about that game but the difficulty hike was so sudden and unexpected I stopped ever playing again. Maybe one day I'll find it in a store and give it another shot.
I would have just used a guide if I was really that stuck. I did for a few of the later missions after a failing a few times, purely because I was enjoying the game so much that I wanted to get past the sticking points.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

tachi

Post by tachi » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:43 am

Conan on the Xbox 360.
That last bloody boss made me scream like a petulant child!
No matter what I did I simply could not best him and never have :(
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:05 am

tachi wrote:Conan on the Xbox 360.

Did you pray to Crom? And if he didn't listen, then to hell with him!
Scott me up beamie!

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:47 am

Mire Mare wrote:I have never been able to finish Perfect Dark. Not on N64 and not the rerelease on XBLA either. I forget where I get stuck but it's always the same bit. I think my patience runs out and I refuse to reduce the difficulty! :lol:
Really? That's a game I regularly play through on Perfect agent difficulty. I reckon I could do it in my sleep now.

I could nevr complete a lot of the 'super' and 'simulator' games from Codemasters. Super Stuntman, SAS Combat Simulator, you name it, they got to about level 3 and the difficulty went to ninja level.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:54 am

tachi wrote:Conan on the Xbox 360.
OH THAT GAME!

I really liked Conan at first. It has enough variety in your moves to make it a bit different to the 500 or so other hack and slashers on the 360. But it gets so tough and is full of horrible bosses. I got to the final level. I didn't get stuck as such but it was such a struggle that I just couldn't be faffed with it anymore.