Games you could never complete

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

TheVision

Re: Games you could never complete

Post by TheVision » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:36 pm

Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks on the original Xbox for me.

I'm a big fan of the series and I thought this game was ace. I played it loads at the time but the final boss fight with Shao Khan got me every time. I must have attempted it hundreds of times with no luck.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:57 pm

TheVision wrote:Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks on the original Xbox for me.

I'm a big fan of the series and I thought this game was ace. I played it loads at the time but the final boss fight with Shao Khan got me every time. I must have attempted it hundreds of times with no luck.

Nearly forgot about that one. Started out really well but I rage quit on the Baraka fight and never tried again (although there was the brilliant moment where you see him spear someone through the head and throw him into the wall, only for your character to go over to them and ask if they're alright)

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:21 am

Ive never reached the finish line on Outrun, the checkpoints just get more spiteful and Ill always run out on the stretch towards said checkpoint, dont think ive ever half completed the final checkpoint.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:31 am

Ghosts 'n' Goblins (any format) never made it through the first time, let alone the second run.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:22 am

So many on the Amiga... Nine Lives looked awesome, but was just too hard. everything killed you and the jump mechanic where you had to hold down to select how far you wanted before you jumped was just buggered. Badlands Pete was another, where characters that were usually friendly on later levels inexplicably started shooting you, draining your energy and you couldn't walk and shoot, and not enough health pick-ups, and you had to press the sodding space bar to holster your guns. Aquatic Games was just Daley Thompsons Decathlon level of knackering. Project X was ridiculously tough too.

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:19 pm

Future wars point and click adventure, some on screen objects were one pixel... ONE PIXEL!!! Oh my giddy aunt.
Scott me up beamie!

djslope

Post by djslope » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:28 pm

One day I will finish Revenge of Shinobi

I have never completed it but its still easily in my top 10

nickherc

Post by nickherc » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:11 am

Another World and it was so frustrating. I came to the... huh, have to think... Waterfall... darn, I can't remember. One of a few games I never finished, but I tried, oh how I tried. :D
I never knew till recently there was a sequel, Heart of the Alien, where you play as that Alien Buddy from the original. Main hero is also there as a sidekick.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:57 am

Rainbow Islands for me too. Dante's inferno, cannot and will never beat the Devil last boss, insanely hard.
Robocop on the ST, never trapped and defeated the last Dungeon Master boss also. :(

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:18 am

I'm still working on Manic Miner....31 years after i first got it :lol:
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

llj

Post by llj » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:01 pm

This weekend, Valkyria Chronicles. PS3 YLOD on me on chapter 17, can't get the save file out. Last backup save was about 11 chapters ago. :(

It may be a while before I attempt to replay those 11 chapters again. That's like 2 dozen hours ago.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:16 pm

Also Conkers Bad Fur Day

Elaine

Post by Elaine » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:55 am

Lol I can think of quite a few

I'll just pick one old and one "new".
The old one has to be Rainbow Islands...
Recently I'd say Thor on DS... I just gave up. I will never be able to complete it! The difficulty is so unfair :lol:

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:23 am

As I'm super rarely about I'd add the following

Rogue Leader- That escape from the Death Star at the end may go down as one of the legitimately hardest levels of all time. I have done it though, once

XIII- The last boss can do one

GT4- Mainly because even on B-Spec or whatever I'm never doing the 24 or should that be 8 Hour Races
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:38 am

I feel quite proud to say that I completed Rogue Leader now! The escape from the Death Star is a censored though!

A game I loved but didn't complete was Hidden and Dangerous. That was a great game but bloody hard!

I've also never completed an RPG. I really like them but I'm rubbish and tend to give up halfway through.