Games you could never complete

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

LAIS

Games you could never complete

Post by LAIS » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:26 am

This topic is inspired by someone who in the "Games You Completed This Week" thread posted that they'd just finished the original Sonic for the first time. That made me realise that I too hadn't finished Sonic 1 (without cheating) - so what games were you never able to finish? If you finished them by using cheats - that doesn't count for the purposes of this thread.

Here are some of mine...

Benefactor (Amiga) - A puzzle/platformer that I absolutely loved, but I couldn't get past the horror levels. The difficulty ramped up that little bit extra, and I was never able to get any further.

James Pond 2: Robocod (Amiga) - I DID finish this, but only by cheating. The lives system always beat me on this one, so I cheated to make sure that was no longer an issue...

Rainbow Islands (Amiga) - I'd do fine on this right up till the Vampire boss, who always ate away my lives...I beat him once, and I was shaking so much I died straight away in the next level, getting me a game over (I was pretty young at the time...)

Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii) - Loved this game, but there's a boss late on - a female that you can't use the Monado against (I won't say any more for spoiler reasons, but you'll hopefully know who I mean if you've played this - that is unfairly tough. In the end I thought "sod it" and watched the rest of the story on Youtube.

Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (Mega Drive) - It wasn't the platforming that got me on this, I could do that easily enough - it was the Special Stages. I hated them, they weren't any fun and it was far too easy to go round a corner and get hit by something you couldn't see, losing all your rings. So while I could finish the levels, I couldn't get all the emeralds and therefore the Death Egg without cheating.

ShadowMan

Re: Games you could never complete

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:36 am

Totally agree with Rainbow Islands and Robocod. I reckon I could clear Robocod now though but Rainbow Islands still kicks my ass without cheating. I can clear everything up to the third boss fine but Dracula still beats me to this day, I can beat him but not without losing so many lives first!

Sonic 2 I can't remember how, but I've cleared that with both Sonic (alone) and Knuckles with all the emeralds on a MD. I hate the last couple of stages but I've managed it somehow in the past!

For me, the game I've never beaten is one of my oldest games on my shelf. Thunderbirds for the Amiga. Firstly because I could never figure out some of the puzzles. Secondly because its hard to work out what you can interact with, and lastly because you move so damn slow the game puts me to sleep! I have to play it emulated and run it at 150% speed at least to make it playable!

Fire and Ice is another that kicks my ass without cheats. Doesn't help that you have a strict time limit on each level as well.

Lastly, Transformers for the Famicom. Anyone that's seen the game will understand. Its a stupidly almost impossible game where you can only take 1 hit before you die, you can never see enemies coming and the hit detection on your gun is rubbish. I gave up on level 2.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

tux

Post by tux » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:28 am

Its modern, but Bio Shock infinite. My xbox wouldnt save the levels in the right order, also unless you sat and played a whole chapter it wouldnt save it at-all and i ended up repeating the same sections 3/4/5 times. I abandoned after about chapter 30 i think. :(

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:46 am

Only game that comes to mind is Dragon Age, got right to the end and didn't have enough health potions, and basically levelled my character up all wrong, just kept getting annihilated.

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:55 am

Double Dragon 1, Castlevania 3 and Ghosts & Goblins (I'm buggered if I'm playing through that one twice for the happy ending anyway!) all on NES spring to mind as games that I enjoyed but could never get through legitimately. Bubble Bobble is a bit of a grey area as (on NES at least) it had a password system which was incredibly helpful.

There are plenty of other games I never finished, but so many of them are games that I didn't enjoy and lost interest in - more and more modern games are falling into this category, the Call of Duty games being the biggest culprits.

Oddly though, the absolute worst game I played all the way through was Terminator 2 on SNES. It really wasn't worth the effort though. I just wanted to see whether or not it was possible because my mates gave up after level 3, And that's if they could get past level 2 (the first driving stage).
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:54 am

Batman (Gameboy) - I got about four fiths of the way through but always got stuck at roughly the same point every time. I haven't played it in a long time though, maybe 20 years, so maybe I'd crack it now.

Viewtiful Joe - got stuck on the boss rush level, it's the final boss that I can't beat. And i'm playing on the easier setting, i dread to think what hard is like.

Rouge Leader - That multiple Star Destroyer stage is pure laser hell. I know i've done it before back inthe day but i'm fairly sure I've never finished the game.

Super Monkey Ball 1 & 2 - I'll never do the hard levels, they just seem down to luck more than anything. I think the made the games quite lop-sided, with only 10 easy, 30 medium and 50 hard levels in the first game, I'll probably never see half the bloody game. :lol:
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:20 am

ShadowMan wrote: Lastly, Transformers for the Famicom. Anyone that's seen the game will understand. Its a stupidly almost impossible game where you can only take 1 hit before you die, you can never see enemies coming and the hit detection on your gun is rubbish. I gave up on level 2.
Played this on friends Famicom disc system last week.. Friend died on the first enemy I died on about the seventh as I was jumping them rather then shooting them.. That gun appears useless as the enemies turning into robots when you shot they flying forms
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:23 am

For me Double Dragon 2 on the Nes and PC Engine those jump across the water quite far into the game

Double Dragon 3 nes I got to the Ninja level just spamming the one move(would have been impossible without that move)

Cauldron 2 if I was in a room with Hitler, Stalin and the Palace Programmer who decided to make the Pumpkin bounce I would shoot the Palace programmer twice! That's how much I hate the Cauldron :lol: 2 mechanic;s :lol:
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:42 pm

First one off the top of my head is the original Castlevania; I must have attempted the Grim Reaper stage a million times and even with the GBA version's save feature, I just could not do it. If the Medusa Head/Axe Knight combos in the preceeding hall didn't end me then the reaper certainly would.
pratty wrote:Viewtiful Joe - got stuck on the boss rush level, it's the final boss that I can't beat. And i'm playing on the easier setting, i dread to think what hard is like.
I got as far as the clone of Joe and just could not beat him/it. That's where my game ended with VJ.
pratty wrote: Rogue Leader - That multiple Star Destroyer stage is pure laser hell. I know i've done it before back inthe day but i'm fairly sure I've never finished the game.
I got hardly anywhere with this game apart from the first Death Star stage and the Hoth level. Anything to do with protecting ships, bombing with Y-Wings or defeating Star Destroyers was just beyond my ability. I used cheats to see the rest of the levels and that Star Destroyer stage you mention is a nightmare; I remember playing it countless times and not understanding how completing it was even possible! Great game though.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:01 pm

It's not really a question of "I could not" but more a question of "I was not motivated to" for me. There are several games I did not manage to complete for various reasons. Mostly that reason was lack of motivation. The type of games I trully enjoy I tend to complete.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:23 am

Shinobi wrote:
ShadowMan wrote: Lastly, Transformers for the Famicom. Anyone that's seen the game will understand. Its a stupidly almost impossible game where you can only take 1 hit before you die, you can never see enemies coming and the hit detection on your gun is rubbish. I gave up on level 2.
Played this on friends Famicom disc system last week.. Friend died on the first enemy I died on about the seventh as I was jumping them rather then shooting them.. That gun appears useless as the enemies turning into robots when you shot they flying forms
Yep. The gun is practically useless and it really is much better to just run and jump over enemies. Still that only gets you as far as the second level before the game becomes almost impossible.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:52 am

Megamixer wrote:
pratty wrote: Rogue Leader - That multiple Star Destroyer stage is pure laser hell. I know i've done it before back inthe day but i'm fairly sure I've never finished the game.
I got hardly anywhere with this game apart from the first Death Star stage and the Hoth level. Anything to do with protecting ships, bombing with Y-Wings or defeating Star Destroyers was just beyond my ability. I used cheats to see the rest of the levels and that Star Destroyer stage you mention is a nightmare; I remember playing it countless times and not understanding how completing it was even possible! Great game though.

You could actually knock out a Star Destroyer by making a kamikaze run right into the middle of the bridge, but it was a very small target so incredibly risky. Anyway:

Super Mario Kart - could never complete the Special Cup on 150cc

Halo - because it always crashed on the last level

Grandia - got stuck on the final boss then lost my save file

Starwing - could never do the hard route

Super Mario Sunshine - got really frustrated by one part and gave up

PlodMadLoon

Post by PlodMadLoon » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:10 pm

^ Oh Rogue Leader was hell. :D I loved it, I could see it was a good game and I played it a lot... but I'm embarrassed to admit that I never aced the first Death Star stage. :oops: I just kept frigging up the trench run, the collision detection was completely unforgiving.

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:19 pm

I refused to complete Rainbow Six Vegas 2 on the PC because you had to fight a stoopid boss helicopter. It felt like I walked into a different game. Same with Assasins Creed Xbox 360, the game had been about stealth and gymnastics then you had a dull as dishwater boss fight. Nah, disc went in the case and I walked away. They were Games you could never 'bring yourself to' complete
Scott me up beamie!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:11 pm

The first True Crime game on the Cube is like that. Right through the game up until the final boss, you're fairly handy in a fist fight. Then that final boss has the longest health bar by miles, ridiculously higher than anything to that point. So I ended up accepting the bad ending to the game because of that one fight. Shame as it was decent up until then. The memory of that has meant I've never even started its sequel.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.