Top 25 Amiga Games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sephiroth81

Re: Top 25 Amiga Games

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:32 am

So many different selections of games (a few duplicates as well which is understandable).....WHAT A MACHINE THE AMIGA WAS/IS!!

With the N64 list, you got the usual suspects of Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time (and rightly so), but the Amiga has so much depth.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:49 am

I'd argue that the Amiga had far, far, far more games. but you're right there's a lot of good stuff on it.

quantum

Post by quantum » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:39 am

• Hired Guns
  • Populous 2
  • Sensible Soccer
  • Speedball 2
  • Super Cars 2
Tough getting it down to just 5 games. Honourable mention to Kick off 2, Wings of Fury, Pinball Fantasies and Jimmy White's Whirlwind Snooker :mrgreen:

How about a game screenshot quiz? Amiga, DOS, Megadrive and Commodore 64.

Boulder

Post by Boulder » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:59 am

Games that I played most on my Amiga back then..

1) Dungeon Master

Had to wait a long time to get a memory upgrade kit to get to play the game. Worth every penny and is still a great game. The infamous "purple worm challenge" has struck me many, many times: try to play the game until the first purple worm level and then quit. I bet you can't stop there :D

2) Test Drive II

I used to have a blast with this game with a friend of mine. The first game that I ever recorded (on VHS). Once I even finished the game without getting a speeding ticket and got a friendly smile from the cop at the end of the game instead of ending up in handcuffs.

3) Ultima IV

The only Ultima I have ever played a lot. Great atmosphere and a vast world to explore. I never finished it though, too much English for a small Finnish kid back then :D

4) The Manager (Bundesliga Manager in Germany, I think)

I spent one Christmas holiday hex editing the teams according to the Rothmans Football Yearbook.

5) Formula One Grand Prix

I played this game a lot with that forementioned friend of mine. Very much fun in multiplayer mode, especially when choosing to drive for a minor team (your car is slower than other during the parts when your car is driven by the CPU).

Boulder

Post by Boulder » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:04 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:Pirates! - the best pirate game I've ever seen
Pirates! was a great game. It is a crying shame that the reboot just doesn't catch the atmosphere.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:35 pm

Here's mine :-

1. Populous II - A sequel with a very unique spin and not just a rehash of the original formula. The advanced different types of knights and also the elemental powers really took the gave to another level. Plus, I liked the serial link-up in it - but then so did the original.

2. First Samurai - "Oh no - my sword!". A superb arcade platformer. Good puzzles and great level design mark this out. There is also quite a technical achievement, with having the three-speed parallax scrolling on level 9.

3. Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge - Probably the best arcade racer on the Amiga. Racing for positions rather than for timed stages made it a lot more fun than its sequels. Some of the tracks were very challenging. Go get that "Lotus License".

4. The Secret of Monkey Island - The greatest adventure game ever made! No - that is a fact. Great characters, superb use of humour, imaginative storyline, nice graphics and sound. Perhaps the "insult sword fighting" is maybe taking the joke too far - but hey, it still makes me chuckle. I think that the puzzles were better in the first game - and also because it was a slightly shorter game(that is not having the massive disk swapping of the sequel) the storyline seemed a lot better as well.

5. Rainbow Islands - A great conversion. Just a game that was very accessible - but perhaps difficult to master in the later stages. The graphics and sound were both from the top drawer as well.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:40 pm

ootini wrote:My tuppence.

The Chaos Engine.
Personally this is the pinnacle of the Bitmap Bros output. Fast paced shootyness, great soundtrack, fantastically drawn graphics and possibility for co-operative play. Contained that trademark Bitmap Bros difficulty curve.

Lemmings
Equally entertaining as it was utterly frustrating at times. Still one of my favorite puzzle games from the Amiga era.

Wizkid
Still one of the craziest, most original and utterly daft games I've ever played. Would love to know what substances Sensible Software were taking when they drew up the plans for this one. Its prequel Wizball was also a classic but I associate it more with the C64 than Amiga.

The Secret of Monkey Island
Still one of the most entertaining point and click games I've ever experienced. Gets a play though once a year to this day.

Hunter
A blueprint for 3D open world sandbox games to come many years later. I don't think I ever completed a single mission, I'd just wander around jumping in vehicles and blowing things up.

And don't forget shooting seagulls! :D
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:47 pm

Interesting the number of votes for Monkey Island 2. In my opinion is what a little too big, spread over too many locations with too many objects, and made it a little less fun than the first game which was much more compact. The graphics were beautifully designed, but the iMuse music system didn't work as well as on PC.

One major issue on the 'miggy is that it came on about 11 or 12 disks, and the loading points and disk swapping were very intrusive. When Largo spits in the bar , I'm pretty sure that from the beginning of the scene to the end there were 2 or 3 disk swaps - the game absolutely was not designed to play without installation to hard drive.

Which makes me curious as to whether so many people had a hard drive, or they actually managed to play from floppy. Certainly back then hard drives were dead expensive for quite small amounts and many people I knew didn't have one. Not just because of the cost, but because with the majority of games there was no need (or no support from the game to install to a hard drive). I actually bought a hard drive several days after attempting to play MI2 from floppy.

If I recall the only game that could only be played from hard drive was Star Trek 25th Anniversary. Now I would have possibly put that and/or Fate of Atlantis on my list, but the PC talkie versions were far superior.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:47 pm

Sephiroth81 wrote:So many different selections of games (a few duplicates as well which is understandable).....WHAT A MACHINE THE AMIGA WAS/IS!!

With the N64 list, you got the usual suspects of Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time (and rightly so), but the Amiga has so much depth.
yeah, the top 25 for the Amiga will be missing more great games than any other machine covered.

And with that in mind, somebody vote for Laser Squad and Breach 2!! and Eye Of The Beholder and..........

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:50 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:
Sephiroth81 wrote:So many different selections of games (a few duplicates as well which is understandable).....WHAT A MACHINE THE AMIGA WAS/IS!!

yeah, the top 25 for the Amiga will be missing more great games than any other machine covered.

And with that in mind, somebody vote for Laser Squad and Breach 2!! and Eye Of The Beholder and..........
Yeah, and Dune II, Syndicate and UFO. You should probably make this one a top 100. :wink:

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:20 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:And with that in mind, somebody vote for Laser Squad and Breach 2!!
Both those are on my extremely cut down shortlist of about 45 games. I just can't do 5. It's impossible.
Matt_B wrote:Syndicate and UFO.
And those two.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:24 pm

necronom wrote:
HalcyonDaze00 wrote:And with that in mind, somebody vote for Laser Squad and Breach 2!!
Both those are on my extremely cut down shortlist of about 45 games. I just can't do 5. It's impossible.
get voting! I don't think any of us wanted to choose just 5.

if you really can't decide then its probably best for you to vote tactically, then you are not really choosing, just using your 5 votes to push other games, have a look at the other choices and see what games you think need a boost to ensure being covered. Several are already a shoe-in to feature, but others look touch and go......

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:13 am

paranoid marvin wrote:Interesting the number of votes for Monkey Island 2. In my opinion is what a little too big, spread over too many locations with too many objects, and made it a little less fun than the first game which was much more compact. The graphics were beautifully designed, but the iMuse music system didn't work as well as on PC.

One major issue on the 'miggy is that it came on about 11 or 12 disks, and the loading points and disk swapping were very intrusive. When Largo spits in the bar , I'm pretty sure that from the beginning of the scene to the end there were 2 or 3 disk swaps - the game absolutely was not designed to play without installation to hard drive.

Which makes me curious as to whether so many people had a hard drive, or they actually managed to play from floppy. Certainly back then hard drives were dead expensive for quite small amounts and many people I knew didn't have one. Not just because of the cost, but because with the majority of games there was no need (or no support from the game to install to a hard drive). I actually bought a hard drive several days after attempting to play MI2 from floppy.

I agree about Monkey Island 2. The 11 disks were absurd, and although I had an additional disk drive, i was still swapping an awful lot. I can't imagine how painful it would be if one didn't have the extra disk drive. On emulation via WinUAE, its nice that you can run it via 4 disk drives (or probably more).

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:20 am

Secret of Monkey Island
Loom
Putty
Silkworm
Syndicate

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:11 am

What's the last date we can submit?

This is driving me crazy.

Oh, and Darran, Strider on the Amiga is great! I played it quite a bit. It's not on my massively long list of five games, though.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V