Top 25 Amiga Games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

paranoid marvin

Re: Top 25 Amiga Games

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:54 pm

Kick Off 2

The Secret of Monkey Island - the second best pirate game I've ever seen!

Pirates! - the best pirate game I've ever seen

Wings of Fury - stupidly addictive shooter

Wizkid - bizarre and utterly brilliant. Everyone should experience this game.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:57 pm

Kick Off 2 - Superb footie game that slightly edges SWOS for needing more skill to play.

Rainbow Islands - Great conversion of a great arcade game, love it.

Midwinter - An exciting, explorable world before exciting, explorable worlds were possible!

Speedball 2 - Superb in both single and two player modes, difficult without being impossible to master.

Space Crusade - Exciting, tense, turn-based action where you are very much the under-dog.

That was tough, I could have easily compiled a top 100 Amiga games and still struggled to leave games out.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:36 pm

Lotus Turbo Esprit Challenge 2 - A brilliant arcade racer that remains eye searingly fast as it was back in the day. Excellent track designs, which undulated at pace putting many racing games to shame with their dull shiny courses.

Kick Off 2 - I never mastered this game fully but one of my friends did. Total control was everything but I still had great fun playing mates.

Wings - Definitive Cinemaware game for me which backed up the excellent presentation with different styles of gameplay.

Gods - A sonic tour de force and very atmospheric with it. The Bitmap Brothers finest hour.

Uridium 2 - Wasn't a fan of the original but really enjoyed the sequel with its terrific soundtracks and sonic effects accompanying the shooting action.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:52 pm

Loved Player Manager. The only footie management game where you could actually see first hand how good your players were.
yeah, was a great game, thought about including it but had to leave it out, the best feature was that you could import your teams into Kick Off 2! Used to have all the stats of my imported teams wrote out as Kick Off 2 wouldn't display the player stats. Was funny using a really high level imported team against a mate who was using the standard teams :lol:

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:52 pm

Datastorm - The even better Dropzone: Defender done righter.
Pinball Dreams - Heaven on floppy. Or perhaps Hell as it had that lovely graveyard level with that music!
Pinball Fantasies - Bigger Better Fabulouser. And another Hellish level.
Pinball Illusions - Now in glorious AGA. Never has pinball looked so ...American! Bright, Brash, Colorful (as they would spell it)!
Slamtilt - Because. Proof positive that ..you actually had to have roots in Digital Illusions to do it Right(TM).

EDIT: Now with quotable reasons too!
Last edited by NorthWay on Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:55 pm

Do you like Pinball by any chance?

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:48 pm

Ahhh now we are talking! I have not looked at any other post above, as I don't want to be influenced!

1. Speedball 2 - Easy choice, as I still play it to this day with a mate and it hasn't aged one bit, unlike us two.
2. Nitro - I love top down racers, and this for me is one of the greatest ever. Just so addictive, great controls and even 3 player options!
3. Super Cars 2 - Another top down racer and another gem. Great playability, 2 players, great humourous moments as well as weapons and lots of cool shortcuts. Love it.
4. IK+ - A superb beat em up, that gets absurdly manic when you reach black belt. Has barely aged, and I love it. Perfection.
5. Secret of Monkey Island - toss up between this one, its sequel and Maniac Mansion, but this is the one I adored the most and felt the most attached to.

William S

Post by William S » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:03 am

1. Monkey Island 2
2. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
3. Secret of Monkey Island
4. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (The Graphic Adventure)
5. Pinball Fantasies
ImageImageImage

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:16 am

1 - Sensible Soccer
2 - Lemmings
3 - Pinball Fantasies
4 - Arabian Nights
5 - Desert Strike

I know the LucasArts adventure games are awesome, but I originally played them on DOS and I'm just counting games i played on Amiga first.
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:30 am

1. Carrier Command
2. Captive
3. Sensible Soccer
4. Lemmings
5. Damocles

TMR

Post by TMR » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:43 am

i'm a bit surprised a couple of these haven't come up before...

Battle Squadron
Slam Tilt - possibly not quite as good as Pinball Illusions but the fun we had in multi-player mode...!
Super Obliteration - Asteroids meets Pang and it's free!
Turrican 2
Uridium 2 - particularly with the drone and manic selected from the menu on an A1200...

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:50 am

Having never owned an Amiga but played on a friends system, my list my seem a bit generic or odd.

1) Base jumpers - Who doesn't want to jump off a building wearing a parachute?!? :lol: Great little platformer which is only made better by the actual Base jumping sections and multiplayer action
2) Cannon Fodder
3) Worms
4) Sensible Soccer
5) Lemmings

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:00 am

So many games... used to love my Amiga. need to get it up and running again!

1) Settlers - still probably my all time favourite, most played game. i still prefer it to the later versions of it, too.
2) Sensible Soccer(s) - i was perfectly capable of playing the kick off games, i just preferred the sensi lot :D
3) Monkey Island - tbh, this could easily be the second one, or one of a number of other adventure games
4) Pinball Fantasies - or dreams, pretty interchangeable again, because i played both a lot.
5) Beneath a Steel Sky or Dune - can't decide which i preferred - it was quite rare that i actually completed any games back then, but i had to with these two.

and that's leaving out the championship manager variants, cannon fodders, alien breeds, indy adventure games, moonstone, pang! and a whole host of others that i sunk a lot of hours into. along with some awesome little pd/cover disc games - Drip! and Gravity Force 2 being high amongst them.

yup, definitely need to get myself an amiga set up again. think my internal drive had broken last time i tried though, and i couldn't get much to boot off the external drive :( emulating just wasn't the same.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:45 am

Amiga internal drives are a big problem these days, I had 4 die on me in the space of a couple of months.
You are better off getting a modified machine with all the games on the memory.
The only problem then is with some games that have copyright protection, damn you code-wheels!

ootini

Post by ootini » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:27 am

My tuppence.

The Chaos Engine.
Personally this is the pinnacle of the Bitmap Bros output. Fast paced shootyness, great soundtrack, fantastically drawn graphics and possibility for co-operative play. Contained that trademark Bitmap Bros difficulty curve.

Lemmings
Equally entertaining as it was utterly frustrating at times. Still one of my favorite puzzle games from the Amiga era.

Wizkid
Still one of the craziest, most original and utterly daft games I've ever played. Would love to know what substances Sensible Software were taking when they drew up the plans for this one. Its prequel Wizball was also a classic but I associate it more with the C64 than Amiga.

The Secret of Monkey Island
Still one of the most entertaining point and click games I've ever experienced. Gets a play though once a year to this day.

Hunter
A blueprint for 3D open world sandbox games to come many years later. I don't think I ever completed a single mission, I'd just wander around jumping in vehicles and blowing things up.