Top 25 Amiga Games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Darran@Retro Gamer

Top 25 Amiga Games

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:45 am

Huzzah, it's another top 25.
Tell us your top 5 and the best quotes will end up in the mag.

HalcyonDaze00

Re: Top 25 Amiga Games

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:00 am

awesome news, but picking just a top 5, good grief!

1: Monkey Island 2 - along with the original, still the best of the genre, a classic cast of characters that has never been bettered. A genuine gaming masterpiece.

2: Championship Manager - the start of a 20 year addiction!

3: Kick Off 2 - you can stick SWOS up your ar5e, Kick Off 2 was the better game with Sensi being the choice for gamers without the skill to play Kick Off.

4: Dungeon Master - the game that made you buy the extra memory, and worth every penny.

5: Frontier - epic in scope and ambition, a brilliant game.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:29 am

1. TV Sports Basketball : This game had everything : stunning presentation, humour, great gameplay.. I spent my whole final high school year almost entirely on this here game.
2. Speedball 2 : This game was so remarkably well made that it felt like a real sport, the one game out of all of them in my opinion that hasn't aged a single bit.
3. Monkey Island 2 : The best adventure game of all time! The script.. the humour... still to this day the series is used as a benchmark, stolen from or parodied but nobody, really, has even come close to touching it.
4. Personal Nightmare : atmosphere, amazing atmosphere.
5. IK+ : They simply couldn't have made this game better if they tried. Just about the perfect beat 'em up.

What a system. *snifs*
Last edited by ncf1 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:48 am

Top 5!? :shock:

I've just done a short list (missing off a lot of classics) of 40 :? I'm not sure I'll be able to get it to 25, never mind 5.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:59 am

You'll just have to try, otherwise you've missed your chance to vote and US Gold's Strider port might end up at number 1

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:05 am

Okay. I've just had a go at removing some, and ended up adding four more. This isn't going well.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:25 am

Player Manager
Just like kickoff but you can also play the games, sign players etc. A classic game

Stunt Car Racer
Back then they were amazing graphics, it was a great moment the second you flew off a massive high jump

TV Sports Football
This arrived just before Madden, it was a pain changing discs just to kick the Extra Point but back then this was a great NFL game

New Zealand Story
One of the first Amiga games i played, looked just like the arcade. After years of playing on the Speccy it was amazing seeing the colour and great graphics of this game.

Speedball II

Icecream, icecream ! So playable, just the right difficulty setting. A classic.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:00 pm

Five games!! Erm, Ok

1. Formula One Grand Prix - where F1 really started for me. I liked F1 back then, but this was the closest I could get to driving an F1 car! I'd do a full Grand Prix (2 hours worth) and still want to go back and do another race!
2. Frontier: Elite 2 - I liked Elite on my C64 (but it was too slow). When this arrived it blew me away. The wife hated it though! Apparently I spent too much time on it and ignored her... got 6 kids now :lol:
3. Alien Breed 2 - Aliens. I love Aliens the movie and this to me was one of the best Aliens style games ever made. Alien Breed was damn fine too...
4. Mega lo Mania - my favourite Sensible Software game on the Amiga.
5. Moonstone: A Hard Days Knight - not enough love given to this masterpiece. Great fun and sucked me in for a very long time.

ALSO....
Millennium 2.2 - a game I lost months to. I'm playing this currently on my Amiga. Atmosphere is amazing.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:09 pm

.. I actually thought Strider on the Amiga wasn't too bad! "You dare fight MEEEEEE?!?!?!" : for that alone it gets 99.9%! Just take 10% away for lack of backgrounds and slightly jerky gameplay, and you still have a decent conversion in my opinion. I give it 89.9%.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:39 pm

Wow... I have no idea where to begin...

Grand prix an amazing game, technically impressive and amazingly playable. I used to use the player swap with a friend, playing full races on.the hardest settings. Looking back, I got very very good at that, thanks to the hours I put in. Seeing Alain Prost and Aryton Senna spinning at Silverstone, as I nipped between them is one of my best gaming memories of all time.

Player Manager, nudging kick off out. I played top level until my late 40s, scoring 40+ goals a season.

Dungeon Master. I picked up a memory expansion just for this and spent a,whole weekend playing despite the fantastic weather outside. The first time the rock monster came to life, I jumped out of my skin.

Marble Madness. Brilliant. Ive no idea whether it was arcade perfect or not, but it made my c64 look like a relic.

Populous. I used to get trade tickets to the PCW show and my mate used to visit from Norwich to come with me. We sat up all night playing this, I was knackered, especially when it came to carrying my Star LC10 printer home from Earle court, via the usual Sunday rail replacement service!
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:53 pm

I haven't played most of these on the Amiga, but I have played ports of them.

1. Frontier : Elite 2 - 65 billion fully newtonian solar systems to explore? I don't think any game has ever managed to get bigger in scale. (I recall seeing it estimated that if you were to jump into every single system for just 1 second each, it would still take you over 200 years in real-time to visit every single one)

2. Cannon Fodder - War has never been so much fun? They got that right and I've not seen any other game that was as enjoyable or made you care so much about every single one of your troops - I can't have been the only one that mourned when Jools & Jops finally bought the farm...

3. Theme Park - Very little I can say that's not been said countless times before, but it is very much a timeless classic.

4. Rescue on Fractulus - Not entirely 100% sure if this was on the Amiga, but it's been on virtually everything else. I seem to recall playing it on the Amiga CD32, however.

5. 10th Frame - I'm not sure of the name of this one, but I spent countless hours playing this bowling game with my sister and (then future) brother in law on their amiga.
Where logic won't work, I will

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:28 pm

1. Lemmings, the original and best version.
2. Pinball Fantasies, raised the levels of pinball games.
3. Hunter, superb 3D adventure game thats dying for a sequel.
4. Supercars II, really fun 2 player overhead racing game.
5. The Settlers, where the series started, still prefer the first two in the series!

Mancman

Post by Mancman » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:21 pm

1. Frontier Elite 2 - Despite its flaws, David Braben done an amazing job of updating the original and delivered an absolutely amazing universe to explore and be a part of.

2. Hunter - The first open world game I can truly remember. Spent many hours lost in its amazing world, piloting all manor of amazing vehicles!

3. Speedball 2 - Like everyone else, an obvious choice.

4. Geoff Crammonds Grand Prix - The first race game I really got into. I played so much I could even race with manual gears!

5. Player Manager - I was terrible at Kick Off 2 and terrible at Player Manager, however I loved this game for its depth and player devolpment.

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:43 pm

1. The New Zealand Story
2. Batman: The Movie
3. Xenon II
4. Super Cars II
5. Sensible Soccer

Games I actually played on the system back in the day.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:46 pm

psj3809 wrote:Player Manager
Just like kickoff but you can also play the games, sign players etc. A classic game

Stunt Car Racer
Back then they were amazing graphics, it was a great moment the second you flew off a massive high jump

TV Sports Football
This arrived just before Madden, it was a pain changing discs just to kick the Extra Point but back then this was a great NFL game

New Zealand Story
One of the first Amiga games i played, looked just like the arcade. After years of playing on the Speccy it was amazing seeing the colour and great graphics of this game.

Speedball II

Icecream, icecream ! So playable, just the right difficulty setting. A classic.
Loved Player Manager. The only footie management game where you could actually see first hand how good your players were.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"