Your fave 5th gen console

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Is

Sony PlayStation
48%
Sega Saturn
16%
Nintendo 64
21%
Atari Jaguar
5%
3DO
3%
Amiga CD32
3%
Other
5%

Total votes: 63

paranoid marvin

Re: Your fave 5th gen console

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:05 am

The Hardest of All Freds wrote:PS1 was the best...

But CD32 was the one I reaaaallllly wanted. The reality when I bought one much later showed that I was mistaken in this, but back in 93/94, they looked the business
The problem with the CD32 is that it fell between to two stools. If they were trying to appeal to Amiga owners forget it. Why pay more money for a machine that didn't let you play your other games, and whose main benefits was slightly faster loading , better sound and maybe a bit of FMV - plus the controllers were crap. The main reason for owning a 'miggy above a console was the more in-depth games, which needed keyboard/mouse, which couldn't be played on the CD32. Plus there was no killer app that CD32 owners could play that A1200 owners couldn't. For console owners forget it; why play platformers/shooters/beat-em-ups that were inferior to SNES/MD titles? There wasn't a single one of the games from these genres that were better on Commodore's machine than on consoles.

No , Commodore's main mistake was making different variants on the A1200 (of which the CD32 was one). What they would have been better doing was either releasing the CD32 as an add-on for the Amiga so it could rival the PC, or better still concentrate on making the next gen of Amiga with CD-Rom integrated with a hard-drive ; effectively a PC but with the 'miggy logo. All those thinking of jumping ship for Windows based PC would have stayed, and all the great PC companies of the time (such as Lucasarts and Westwood) who were already fully supportive of Amiga, would have brought their games to the machine.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Gordon Bennett

Post by Gordon Bennett » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:14 am

3DO for me. I was fortunate to find one used for a relative pittance right at the end of its life and, as it was near the end, found a good selection of games on the cheap as well. The technology was still recent enough, and certainly new enough for me, to be absolutely breathtaking. I bought and played many unusual and somewhat experimental games that I still remember fondly. I credit the 3DO and having been exposed the likes Twisted, Station Invasion, Plumbers Don't Wear Ties, Digital Dreamware, Virtual House and CPU Bach for my own personal journey as a gamer away from the mainstream titles and towards the more obscure and bizarre.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:16 am

That was the golden age of PC gaming for me, I was sinking hours into GP2 and Championship Manager, neither of which would be possible on consoles of that generation. Add the likes of midtown madness, toca, roller coaster tycoon, doom, quake, half life, I had no need for a console.

However if its just console, then I really like the n64, quirks and all. I never really liked the ps1, I didn't like the graphic style, although there we're some great games for it. The Saturn I've never played.

So n64 for me.....
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:54 pm

N64 with Saturn second. I've never owned a PS so maybe i'd like it if I gave it more of a go... The 3D games always looked awful to me, but maybe you get used to that... I'm more into JRPG than I was back then too so theirs probly alot of stuff i've missed out on. Doubt it would ever knock N64 off the top spot though.

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:03 pm

PS1 by far. It has by far the most diverse games library and it arguably has the best line-up of exclusives out of any console ever.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:52 pm

PostieDoc wrote:
markopoloman wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:Not a console, but I'd have to say this iteration of the PC; just about the time the CDROM was being used. With Lucasarts games now being talkies , and with the possibility for much better/deeper gaming (I'm thinking stuff like C&C/Red Alert) the PC was making itself worth purchasing above the miggy
This.
This.
Not to be a "party pooper" but we're talking about consoles here. :wink:

Although I agree the early to mid 90s and then the late 90s were PC's "rise to power" and, arguably, the "golden age" for PC gaming.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:55 pm

gman72 wrote:that list is highly flawed.
What do you mean? I put all the "big" consoles of the era that were released overseas on that list.

thompson9980

Post by thompson9980 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:04 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:The problem with the CD32 is that it fell between to two stools...
The CD32 was just a stool full stop!

Talking of stools, I'm going to vote for the Jaguar purely for nostalgia reasons, cos I had one.
Probably the most expensive thing I ever had for Christmas when I was a kid. God bless my mum for effort. Misguided but very much appreciated :-)

Also, the Neo Geo CD was released around the same time as the Jag and CD32 if I'm not mistaken. I really wanted one of those...
STUFF WANTED:
Sega 32X
Sega Megadrive, Japanese, mark 1
Sega Megadrive II

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:08 pm

PS1 for me. I've tried many times to love the N64 and failed miserably. I've had a few Saturn's but just never really clicked with it, although i'm NOT saying its rubbish, rather the games i like seem to be clustered on Sony's machine. The others on the list are rather more niche consoles, imo.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:11 pm

I blame Bad Influence for making me want all of these consoles.

And making them all look awesome, even the Jaguar.
Going Solo...................

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:48 pm

the jag has a vote, good grief!

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:54 pm

thompson9980 wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:The problem with the CD32 is that it fell between to two stools...
The CD32 was just a stool full stop!

Talking of stools, I'm going to vote for the Jaguar purely for nostalgia reasons, cos I had one.
Probably the most expensive thing I ever had for Christmas when I was a kid. God bless my mum for effort. Misguided but very much appreciated :-)

Also, the Neo Geo CD was released around the same time as the Jag and CD32 if I'm not mistaken. I really wanted one of those...
I hope you finally got over that want , I had one and the load times were nearly as bad as trying to actually get to play a game on PS3 for the first time.

Misery

Post by Misery » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:19 pm

Definitely the Saturn.

Had an N64 growing up, but.... the thing had such a small selection, it seemed, and unlike every one before it, I had few games, due to there just being not much interesting stuff on there. It ended up being the very first console I ever sold off, as there was just so little reason to hold onto it. The thing just took up space.

The PS1 looked like a nest of swarming RPGs, as did the PS2, and seemed really obsessed with pre-rendered scenes and extremely jagged polygons. Had trouble even looking at the damn thing.

Didnt care about the Jaguar or the Amiga, still dont.

Saturn though, I never had one back then, bought one a couple years ago, and.... yeah, screw the others, that's the only one I need. Particularly since I'm a shmup fan, and it's got some great ones on there, combined with what is possibly the best controller for those I"ve yet seen.

Annoyingly though mine is a Japanese unit, so it can be a pain to deal with.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:49 am

outdated_gamer wrote:Not to be a "party pooper" but we're talking about consoles here. :wink:

Although I agree the early to mid 90s and then the late 90s were PC's "rise to power" and, arguably, the "golden age" for PC gaming.
I'd think that the PC "golden age" started around 1989, and we're still in it.

Anyway, if I can't have a PC, how about handhelds? My most used console of the 5th generation would have to be the Gameboy Color, after all.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:26 am

Matt_B wrote:
outdated_gamer wrote:Not to be a "party pooper" but we're talking about consoles here. :wink:

I'd think that the PC "golden age" started around 1989, and we're still in it.

Anyway, if I can't have a PC, how about handhelds? My most used console of the 5th generation would have to be the Gameboy Color, after all.
I would say we have entered into a new golden age over the last few years. There was a real barren period around 2001 - 2008 (roughly) although I never believed the doom-sayers with their "PC is dying" rubbish.

We are trying to muscle our way into your console thread as PC is always left out of these things for the simple reason that we don't have generations.