Your fave 5th gen console

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Is

Sony PlayStation
48%
Sega Saturn
16%
Nintendo 64
21%
Atari Jaguar
5%
3DO
3%
Amiga CD32
3%
Other
5%

Total votes: 63

outdated_gamer

Your fave 5th gen console

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:05 pm

While often retrospectively seen as the "poorly ageing" gen, the 5th console gen was also one of the most visionary and progressive ones, as we have seen the transition from 2-D to full 3-D gaming, many controller innovations (e.g. analogue sticks, rumble feature, multiple holders, ect.), the dawn of optical media, ect. As well as some very forward-thinking gameplay concepts and designs which paved the way for video gaming in today's shape.

This was the console generation that paved the way for 3-D gaming on console systems and broader and as such gave birth to many new concepts, but it was also pretty strong for 2-D games, which went a bit to the backside but for those who liked them they were appreciated.

Anyway, for me, my fave system of the era is the N64, mainly due to stellar Nintendo and Rare exclusive games. I'm aware that the system left quite a lot to desire in the 3rd party department, but I personally always played consoles more for the exclusives than anything else and had a PC for the other games. So to me, the 3rd party "holes" and shortage of software was a non-issue.

What about you, which did you like best and why?

Vote/discuss. :wink:

Antiriad2097

Re: Your fave 5th gen console

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:11 pm

Who decided those systems are of the same generation? I'd put the Jag a distinct generation ahead of PS1, there's no comparison. And CD32? A souped up Amiga, really not in the same generation at all.

But of those, I have to pick Playstation. Partly because they came in and kicked butt when the other big names thought they had it all sewn up, and partly because it's just loaded with awesome games.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:17 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Who decided those systems are of the same generation? I'd put the Jag a distinct generation ahead of PS1, there's no comparison. And CD32? A souped up Amiga, really not in the same generation at all.
The Wikipedia video gaming classification concilium... ? :wink:

The Jag and CD32 are the "early 32-bit/64-bit" generation if you ask me. Not quite competition for the later systems like PS, Saturn and N64, but paving the way in this particular era/class.

HisNHer_LP

Post by HisNHer_LP » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:17 pm

Had to go for play station as its the one I had from the beginning, the only system I really played, n64 would of been second for the wrestling games

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:21 pm

Nintendo 64 for me. with the Ps2 a close 2nd.

I only really got into the saturn many years later. I got a cheap 3DO a year or 2 after release and TBH at that time it was already well taken over. The jaguar was just awful from day 1.

JoeNTMY

Post by JoeNTMY » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:18 pm

PS1

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:32 pm

PS1 for sure. Had the biggest impression on me as a teen and holds most of my favourite RPGs.

Currently though my Saturn discovery last year has opened me up to loads of brilliant shmups, fighting and arcade games. Fantastic machine that I missed out on at the time.

N64 was an amazing jump from the SNES although in recent years I've had no desire to go back to it.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:48 pm

Not a console, but I'd have to say this iteration of the PC; just about the time the CDROM was being used. With Lucasarts games now being talkies , and with the possibility for much better/deeper gaming (I'm thinking stuff like C&C/Red Alert) the PC was making itself worth purchasing above the miggy
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:17 pm

PS1 by a country mile, honourable mention for the N64

Eat your nans pants

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:59 pm

I always lose track of what's '5th gen' etc :lol:

I loved many of the systems from this era, and especially took to the PS1 and N64 at various times. All had some classic titles of course.

For me it has to be PS1. That just simply reignited my passion for gaming at the time.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:54 am

paranoid marvin wrote:Not a console, but I'd have to say this iteration of the PC; just about the time the CDROM was being used. With Lucasarts games now being talkies , and with the possibility for much better/deeper gaming (I'm thinking stuff like C&C/Red Alert) the PC was making itself worth purchasing above the miggy
This.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:23 am

PS1 hands down. :D
Although that list is highly flawed.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:27 am

PS1 is the easy winner, miles better than the rest of the list (and the PC)

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:39 am

markopoloman wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:Not a console, but I'd have to say this iteration of the PC; just about the time the CDROM was being used. With Lucasarts games now being talkies , and with the possibility for much better/deeper gaming (I'm thinking stuff like C&C/Red Alert) the PC was making itself worth purchasing above the miggy
This.
This.

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:47 am

PS1 was the best...

But CD32 was the one I reaaaallllly wanted. The reality when I bought one much later showed that I was mistaken in this, but back in 93/94, they looked the business
Going Solo...................