Are the PS1, Saturn classic's or have they aged Badly?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Shinobi

Are the PS1, Saturn classic's or have they aged Badly?

Post by Shinobi » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:55 pm

I still play Pharaoh's Tomb on the Commodore 16 and complete it, but can't play 3D PS1 games for more then 5 minutes as it's aged terribly dated graphics, fogging and bad camera angles etc Parasite Eve 1 being the exception.. Got all my PS1 games down from the attic and the 3D games look terrible these days even Final Fantasy 7.

Nightmare Creatures, Ninja, Fantastic 4, Parasite Eve 2, Lunar Sliver Star a few games that are ruined by bad camera angles and screen tearing, glitching etc..
Resident Evil, Dino Crisis Capcom released superior N64, Gamecube and Dreamcast ports and the cube Resi 1 remake.. Ridge Racer played the arcade version recently the PS1 version looks nowhere near as good but it looked brilliant back in 1995.. Add in most pal games where 50 hz and bordered they look even worse today.. Stuff like Rapid Reload, X Com, Little Ralph and Harmful Park have aged very well but are 2D.. Tomb Raider after the remake could you go back the originals? PS1 Dark Stalkers 3 loads of frames of animation missing etc

PS2 Taito Memories, Sonys HD remakes on PS3 and Treasure releasing there Saturn games for a fraction of the price available legally on 360 make them largely redundant!! Add in Arcade perfect conversions on the Jap PS2 Sega Ages Dynamite Deka is arcade better with Tyris Flare and Axe Battler playable..

Most older consoles have games you can't play anywhere else but the PS1 and to a lesser extent the Saturn are almost redundant as newer Sony consoles offer backwards compatible and superior HD remakes..

excuse the grammar its late and I'm tired and not in the mood for proof reading
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Provvidenza

Re: Are the PS1, Saturn classic's or have they aged Badly?

Post by Provvidenza » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:26 pm

I play a lot of PS1 and Saturn games, mostly 2D VS-Fighting or SHMUPS (mostly SHMUPS), classics still to this day. Donpachi and DoDonpachi on the PS1 for example will always be fun to play, regardless of how many further episodes of the series are made. I play very little 3D stuff on either system as imo most of it has dated, a few 3D games are still fun to play though, DecAthlete on the Saturn for example. But tbh I have very little interest in 3D games on any system, my Xbox 360 collection is mostly 2D VS Fighting or SHMUPS too, so make of thet what you will.
GB COLOR, GBA SP, MD PAL, SF NTSC-J, SNES PAL, PS1 MOD, PSone PAL, SATURN NTSC-J, SATURN PAL, N64 NTSC-J, N64 PAL, DREAMCAST PAL, PS2 MOD, GAMECUBE NTSC-J, GAMECUBE PAL, Wii PAL, XBOX 360E PAL.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:32 pm

I think that some of the 3D games have aged whilst others still look lovely. There are plenty of great looking games overall in my opinion across both systems. Without these early forrays into mainstream 3D gaming we would not have the slick, crisp 3D worlds some of us enjoy today.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

killbot

Post by killbot » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:55 pm

I think the early 3D games look worse than many 2D games that came out around the same time. Of course at the time it was the shock of the new and we were all open-mouthed at seeing such amazing things but in retrospect I think Yoshi's Island is a million times better looking than Tomb Raider, for example.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

normikun

Post by normikun » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:06 am

Using a xrgb framemeister makes all the difference. It is the only way to play on Hd tv

Combo-Breaker

Post by Combo-Breaker » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:16 am

killbot wrote:I think the early 3D games look worse than many 2D games that came out around the same time. Of course at the time it was the shock of the new and we were all open-mouthed at seeing such amazing things but in retrospect I think Yoshi's Island is a million times better looking than Tomb Raider, for example.
Agreed.

Battle Arena Toshinden, Fighting Vipers etc look beyond terrible.

2D will always be my favourite preference.

Joey

Post by Joey » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:44 am

Whilst some games look worse than others I have no problem with 3D PS1 games. The Wipeout and Ridge Racer series i still play a lot and quickly forget about the graphics when lost in concentration. Crash Bandicoot is still great to play as are the RPG's. The wonky cutscenes in Front Mission 3 add to its charm I reckon! :wink:

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:51 am

The PS1 and Saturn 3D games largely look dated, although there are exceptions of course, with Crash Bandicoot games and a handful of others still look decent enough today. Sega Rally still stands up quite well on the Saturn as well, as does Virtua Fighter 2. The N64 with its more powerful 3D hardware, and cutesy-colourful games have perhaps visually stood the test of time better, thanks to the N64s ability with trilinear filtering and other graphical tricks that the other two couldn't. Textures look better N64 blurry, than the pixelated mess we are used to with the Saturn and PS1.

The 2D games look absolutely fine though (on all three systems).

I tend to only play PS1 games now on my PSP, they look a lot better on this system thanks to the small screen. If i do play them on a TV, I mainly run them on PS2 or PS3 which of course has the texture smoothing function which helps a bit as well.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:52 am

Many of the best Saturn games are 2D so I would say they have aged pretty well. Obviously it depends on the genre, RPG's, shmups, pre-rendered background type games have aged well, full polygon racing and adventure games not so much.

noobish hat

Post by noobish hat » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:07 am

I'll not hear a bad word said against crappy early 3D. That's what gives the era its charm!

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:20 am

They may not look pretty by today's standards but give them some credit - they were just working the technology out, it takes time to get it right and there's still a lot to figure out. I was always amazed with any new system I played and even at the advances made within a generation (SMB1 vs SMB3 for example), and as far as gameplay goes a lot of ugly looking games are still fun and addictive as hell. Besides, if it wasn't for the games with what we now call crap graphics, dodgy sounds, irritating camera angles and lousy controls games wouldn't be what they are today. It's evolution!
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:32 am

noobish hat wrote:I'll not hear a bad word said against crappy early 3D. That's what gives the era its charm!
Well made point. Its only graphics - the games still play extremely well. So they are less shiny and realistic, but some of the best games of all time are from the 5th generation of consoles:

Final Fantasy VII, Mario 64, Zelda Ocarina of Time, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil 2, Sega Rally, Gran Turismo, Virtua Fighter 2, Tekken 3, Tomb Raider 2, Ridge Racer R4, Goldeneye 007 to name just a few.

All these games have aged, but only in superficial appearance. They still play incredibly well today.

Analog

Post by Analog » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:03 am

I love that whole era, definitely one of my favourite periods for retro gaming, even when 3d wasn't properly integrated into the games or utilised to the consoles best it still had the odd game here and there which I appreciate both now, and back then. I would say that time hasn't been kind to the graphics and they haven't aged as gracefully as others. but I am a big proponent of gameplay over graphics. of course, I can appreciate graphics and artistic choices as their own merit and I agree with others that sometimes even bad looking stuff has it's charm. I also really like the pioneering spirit in some games, whereby graphically, people were moving into uncharted territory and how its sown the seeds of what we have now.

so all in all, despite some games not being too easy on the eye now, I still love that era and those games from that period, and probably always will. :D

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:47 am

Well that's cost-compromised 1994 hardware for you. If you ask me, it wasn't untill the Dreamcast came along that console 3-D graphics actually got "living". The N64 has shown some advanced effects but it still had the a bit blocky and blurry look to it. It's a matter of opinion but I personally think if you're not able to bear PS and Saturn 3-D games, you better completely forget the 3-D games from earlier systems. I myself am able to enjoy even very simplistic 3-D games. I do agree 2-D games tend to "age" better, though.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:33 pm

gman72 wrote:I think that some of the 3D games have aged whilst others still look lovely.
This. Though in fairness, I don't tend to play PS1 and Saturn stuff and ever think "Ugh, that's horrible", no matter how dated it looks. As others have said, I love the era and the graphics (however dated they are) are part of the charm.

Then you have games like Crash Bandicoot and Spyro that are obviously old-looking but still extremely easy on the eyes with crisply-defined objects and nice textures. Tekken 2 also is blocky as hell but the animation of the characters is superb and the 60fps frame rate is excellent.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.