Shinobi or Strider?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Combo-Breaker

Shinobi or Strider?

Post by Combo-Breaker » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:28 pm

Which did you prefer and why?

GigaPepsiMan

Re: Shinobi or Strider?

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:34 pm

Strider > Shinobi III > Super Shinobi > Shinobi PS2 > Alex Kidd in Shinobi World > Shinobi > Shadow Dancer

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:38 pm

I really like the gravitation "gimmick" in Strider and the futuristic Soviet theme, but I think Shinobi III for the MD is one of the finer action side-scrollers out there. But if we are talking the whole series, then it must be Shinobi. The character of "Shinobi" is also way cooler. :wink:

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:59 pm

Original arcade Shinobi because of the phenomenal level design (every non-boss stage is doable without firing a shuriken to get secret bonus) incredible music and that super cool bonus stage. Plus the scoreboard records how many credits you used so no cheaters!

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:26 pm

Strider because it is brilliant in every way, I think Strider sets itself apart from any other videogame in that it accomplished perfectly what the author set out to do; to make it into a kind of film-like thing rather than a straight videogame and the absolute passion shines through.

One of my all-time favourites anyway, a work of art. Shinobi is good but cant touch Strider in any department.

llj

Post by llj » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:55 pm

Strider's visual design still is very attractive today. And the level designs are innovative. But as a game, I think it's a little cheap in spots like all arcade games were.

The beauty of Shinobi is that it is about the most fairly designed arcade game ever made. If you learn it, you can beat it with one quarter. You don't need to be some gaming god. There's never a situation that you cannot solve or prepare for, and it never feels like you have no choice but to keep feeding quarters in order to win. But on Strider, you can still die some cheap deaths even if you're an absolute expert at it.

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:02 am

Strider.

But I do want to play Alex Kid in Shinobi world...
Scott me up beamie!

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:08 pm

I'm not really a fan of Shinobi but anythings better than Strider.
Splink!

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:36 pm

I suppose i like Shinobi more because I've played it more. The newsagents I worked in as a lad had shinobi arcade, and it became quite a challenge to stay on the scoreboard as it was very popular.
The animation and smooth scrolling appealed to me, as well as the challenge of taking out the end of level bosses with accurate shuriken,

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:20 pm

I've never liked Strider. It looks good, but I just don't enjoy playing it. On the other hand, some of the Shinobi games I've liked. Shadow Dancer in particular filled one enjoyable week at Butlins in my teens. My local arcade had Shinobi, I played it a bit but not too often since I sucked at it. There were other games where I'd get more value for my credit.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:42 am

Are we talking as a series or as the original Arcade titles?

If Arcade then i'll choose Strider, the visuals and sheer pace of the game really make the game shine plus the fairer difficulty meaning you won't see the dreaded game over screen in the first minute is a big plus :lol:
Shinobi is still a great game but Strider just edges it for me, mostly down to the difficulty curve. The first time I played the arcade Shinobi I got Game Over in less than a minute... Yeah I suck at it :lol:

If we take things to the consoles though then I would have to pick the Shinobi series with Shadow Dancer (Mega Drive version) being my personal favourite. I will add that although Strider 2 on the Mega Drive is awful when compared to the original, the Master System version is not that bad at all and I think it is far superior than the original version. I truly can't stand Strider on the Master System :evil:

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:59 pm

Shadow Dancer. It had a dog.

djslope

Post by djslope » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:20 pm

The revenge of shinobi is by far the best out of all shinobi and strider games

what other ninja can take on Godzilla, The Terminator, Spiderman, Batman & The hulk amazing game

im currently playing through the latest strider thanks to the playstation + subscription and i gotta say...

ITS AMAZING!!!!

llj

Post by llj » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:59 pm

djslope wrote:The revenge of shinobi is by far the best out of all shinobi and strider games

what other ninja can take on Godzilla, The Terminator, Spiderman, Batman & The hulk amazing game

im currently playing through the latest strider thanks to the playstation + subscription and i gotta say...

ITS AMAZING!!!!
The one on PSN is the "censored" version, though, no? So that means no Batman and Spider-Man. I think there was one version out there with a Bone Dinosaur instead of Godzilla as well.

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:21 pm

Shinobi for me. I do like Strider though, but no matter how hard I try I'm just pants at it.