Are You An Easy Mode Warrior?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

GigaPepsiMan

Are You An Easy Mode Warrior?

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:22 am

I've seen this talked about on other sites so I thought it would be worth asking here.

Now normally I'll try and play games on the default difficulty but there are certain games where I'll turn the aids on or the difficulty down. I can't help but do this with horror games. Resident Evil on Gamecube I always choose hiking over mountain climbing at the start of the game, it already makes me uncomfortable enough I can't be doing with being even more helpless and useless than you already are.

Racing games like Forza I don't even bother anymore. I can't play them without the guideline on, I'm too stuck in my ways. I like F-Zero and Ridge Racer and Daytona USA and the like so when I play a racing game where I can't just press break to drift around the corner it messes me up because I'm not use to it and adapting to it is difficult for me and I end up having to rely on the guideline like an absolute scrub.

Also I don't think I've ever beaten a point and click adventure game without resorting to relying on an FAQ.

I don't think I'm an easy mode person but there are some games where I resort to getting extra help because I know I'm crap.

llj

Re: Are You An Easy Mode Warrior?

Post by llj » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:22 am

Mostly on fighting games, because usually they have unlockables that can only be unlocked by beating the game multiple times. I'm sorry, but I really don't want to lose to guys like Gill or Geese Howard or Magaki 50000 times on the hardest difficulty when trying to unlock everything.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:44 pm

llj wrote:Mostly on fighting games, because usually they have unlockables that can only be unlocked by beating the game multiple times. I'm sorry, but I really don't want to lose to guys like Gill or Geese Howard or Magaki 50000 times on the hardest difficulty when trying to unlock everything.
Worst thing about broken bosses is how toning the difficulty down ruins the rest of the game. Magaki in KOF XI for example is annoying enough on the easiest setting but dropping the difficulty down that low makes the regular battles an unsatisfying pushover. At least SNK have the continue service which at least balances it out a little.

I usually have to tone Street Fighter II down because while I adore the game, I'm too crap at it compared to later SF games or other fighters. I'm useless at combos and getting near to the opponents without being thrown etc.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:57 pm

I usually go for default difficulty, except for shmups, which i'll happily admit to playing on Very Easy or Child or This Game Is Too Hard For You levels, as frankly, I suck at them!

Racing games are an odd one. Codies racing games I have to set to hard otherwise it just seems unbalanced, but with Forza I always set it to easier with assists on. Until Forza 4 that is, where I turned it all off and suddenly the game became far more interesting. I was so accustomed to automatically putting braking lines on, or every assist on, that I'd completely missed the enjoyment of the game.

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:20 pm

Default, if I really like the game I may replay it hard setting.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:29 pm

Depends on mood. Sometimes I play on easiest setting, sometimes on hardest. Usually on "normal" or default, except for games which I'm experienced with. I like hard games though. Easy games get boring to me.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:21 pm

a good question. In general I will try to play a game in its default made, because it was "meant" to be played in that state. But certain games like driving games, quite frankly I don't want to be stressed out that much because driving should be enjoyable dammit, so I chuck in on easiest.

Adventure games, I was scarred deeply from Hitchikers Guide way back as a kid so gimme that walkthrough, from start to finish. If its a good adventure, it will still be highly enjoyable and you get to see all the locations and hear all the jokes. I don't care so much for puzzles.

But never will I put a game on hard. I don't see the point. I like the immersive experience as opposed to the 'challenge' of beating a game on its highest level. Which is probably why I never played cricket at the top level either and like to take on schoolkids, and with a tennis ball.

that last bit was, of course, a joke. They are usually pre-school.

And that last bit, of course was a joke. They would still probably beat me.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:46 pm

I tend to stick to most defaults unless its a game I enjoy a lot. I don't want to ruin my enjoyment of a game through frustration at overly hard difficulty detracting from the reason I like the game.

I have no desire to play Walking Dead Survival Instinct on anything other than normal setting or to get my ass kicked completely on SF4 when all i really want to do is practice the few skills I do have.

Doom , I play on average settings cos otherwise I suck completely. I do try hard settings but I never seem to get far and revert soon after.

dste

Post by dste » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:49 pm

Never on easy.

Will pretty much always play the first time on normal/default and then if I really enjoy the game I will play through it on a harder level like Arkham Asylum.

Only time I've ever Youtube'd anything has been when I've recently played some point and click games for the first time ever and I've become stuck on a puzzle. Will try and crack it for a bit first and then if no joy just check a video. Broken Sword had one recently where I couldn't figure a puzzle where you had to slide bolts to open a locked gate, had to watch that one and glad that I did.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:59 pm

Same here never play on easy unless its cave games.. I won't even continue on arcade games as I believe they should be done on 1 cc and your not learning anything by continuing.. Even stuff like the 360 versions of Splatterhouse and Force Unleashed 2 where super easy on the hardest difficulty
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:16 pm

I also generally play on normal, since I figure it's the way the game was designed to be played. I always use manual gears on racing games and generally switch off things like traction control, but that does depend on the car and game. I'll use easy mode on fighting games as I'm rubbish at them, or for things like SIm City where I want more freedom to create or mess around. I'll play hard mode on games I really like, but rarely bother with the insane/veteran modes as I don't find dying over and over again much fun

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:25 pm

I'm definitely a normal setting for any game I try at first, unless it's fps. I am utter dog wipe at fps, so will tend to try it in normal at first, but after about an hour of running into walls and firing wildly and inaccurately in all directions, I may drop it down to wuss.
Strategy games though, I like them on hard, and will tend to try it out on normal to get used to the controls, then go for it in big man mode pretty soon after.

Son_of_Shinobi

Post by Son_of_Shinobi » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:43 pm

I only use easy methods on games I want to see all the way through if I cant do them without. So have watched many youtube vidz to complete the likes of Doom (keys could be a beatch to find on some leveles)

killbot

Post by killbot » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:47 pm

If I have a large backlog of games for a particular console then I'll tend to clear it by blasting through them on easy, making a note of any I really enjoyed so that I can go back and do them again on a harder setting. But generally I try to stick to the default difficulty.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

MysticalMachineGun

Post by MysticalMachineGun » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:23 am

I'm a default warrior :) But I have to nth the easy mode for fighting games - the difficulty curve when it comes to some bosses is more like a cliff. It does make the earlier rounds difficult, but in games like Mortal Kombat the final boss is cheap as hell even on the easiest difficulty.