Bullcrap gaming stories you heard as a kid

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

stayAwhile

Re: Bullcrap gaming stories you heard as a kid

Post by stayAwhile » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:19 pm

I was told there was a red dwarf game on ps1 but im glad it was untrue as the made up plot was terrible something about lister finding a gun and its a whole point and click mystery about why is there a revolver gun on the dwarf
This guy are sick

dste

Post by dste » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:55 pm

Cannot believe that no one has mentioned the infamous SFII you can play as the bosses story.

I can imagine that every single person back then tried to unlock those four bosses to play as.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

killbot

Post by killbot » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:00 pm

dste wrote:Cannot believe that no one has mentioned the infamous SFII you can play as the bosses story.

I can imagine that every single person back then tried to unlock those four bosses to play as.
ISTR trying a cheat for the Amiga version (published in an actual mag!) that said if you played through the whole game without losing a single pixel of energy then you'd unlock the bosses. My mate and I spent hours and eventually did it, only to realise it didn't work. Another one was that if you played 100 2-player games in a row you'd get the bosses, again we did it and again it didn't work. What a waste of time!

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

llj

Post by llj » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:31 pm

In Double Dragon, it was a popular rumour that you could climb up to the balcony Willy is standing on and grab the machine gun off the wall.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:33 am

snesfanboy wrote:a certain Dutch gaming magazine once posted an article in their cheats/moves section for Mortal Kombat 1 on the SNES where you had to do some strange things (like starting up the game x times, then do some button presses AND putting a couple of coins on top of the cartridge, since the pressure on the chips inside would help!) and when you did well, not only blood mode would be enabled, but all fatalities were changed in more brutal ones

i was young and i believed :roll:

NMS wasn't it?

Plenty of playground rumours about how to play as the bosses in Street Fighter 2. I seem to remember one kids claiming you had to hold down + b on both controllers as the game loaded

tux

Post by tux » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:16 am

When i was a "youth" i was at the centre of a lie.....the thing was, i wasnt fibbing but it was before the days of "google" and "youtube" so i couldnt prove it!
Some one back me up on this.I once played Rival Turf on SNES. I turned on the machine as usual and to my supprise some gibberish about a bouns stage popped up and my "fighter" appeared in a glitchy as hell room that wasnt in the game. It scrolled a bit, then the SNES crashed and it never came up again! My pants certainly were not on fire(as i was so cruely taunted at the time)

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:56 am

Negative Creep wrote:
snesfanboy wrote:a certain Dutch gaming magazine once posted an article in their cheats/moves section for Mortal Kombat 1 on the SNES where you had to do some strange things (like starting up the game x times, then do some button presses AND putting a couple of coins on top of the cartridge, since the pressure on the chips inside would help!) and when you did well, not only blood mode would be enabled, but all fatalities were changed in more brutal ones

i was young and i believed :roll:

NMS wasn't it?

Plenty of playground rumours about how to play as the bosses in Street Fighter 2. I seem to remember one kids claiming you had to hold down + b on both controllers as the game loaded
As well as this I remember a few playground rumours about codes that allowed some versions of SF2 to be played with Mortal Kombat style blood and fatalities. I get the feeling that some doctored pictures of this may have been published along the way too which fueled speculation.

I also eventually decided that the endless 1-up trick in SMB (NES version) was bullshit after endless failed attempts. It was easy enough to do on the SNES remake, but apart from one picture in a magazine, I've never heard of anyone who could do it on NES.
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

merman

Post by merman » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:32 am

Friend at school told me that if you played for long enough on Way of the Exploding Fist, wooden boards fell from the sky and you had to punch or kick them. Guess he was mixing it up with the bonus rounds in IK.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:36 pm

Im suprised theres never been an april fools fake game port i.e duke 3d on c64
This guy are sick

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:52 pm

the machine gun in Double Dragon... yeah I remember that one! But damn - I am SO sure that I did that once or twice, because every time I have played it I try to get the gun... did I do it, or am I dreaming it? Was it arcade or Amiga... if I did it then it was one of those two. But I just cant be positive... I am swaying towards yes though, that it is indeed possible.

Can anyone confirm this? Has anyone ever got the machine gun before? Because this is quite the mystery for me! .. did I do it once or not?

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:45 am

apparently 5 or 6 kids from my school unlocked Sheng long in Street Fighter 2: Championship edition on the mega drive.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:51 am

I confess to starting a short-lived rumour when I was at school. Must have been around 1983, when I had a Vic 20. C&VG run an advert for a Vic20 version of Monopoly. The author of this version shared my (uncommon) name - so... I walked around school telling people I had a game published and here was the proof...

... this lasted for all of a few hours, before guilt grabbed me and I confessed I'd made it up.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:53 am

a former sort of friend of mine claimed to escape the confines of the windy city skatepark in tony hawk I belived him stupidly but only on the basis of some odd syphon filter glitch I saw him trigger. he claimed you could skate around chicago but I soon knew it to be crap when my skater glitched out the map intoo darkness.

the best though was a friend who said pandamonium was so glitchy they wrote letters to everyone asking for the discs back.
This guy are sick

Dave300

Post by Dave300 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:01 pm

Approximately a third of cheat codes in magazines. They were bullcrap.

Evander

Post by Evander » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:07 am

I've mentioned this one before - in a bid to try and keep up with my SNES owning friends back in 1993 I excitedly announced that Mode 7 rotation was "coming out for the Amiga soon". To back up this claim further I even strategically left a pair of blank floppy disks in my room for my friends to notice, with "F-Zero disk 1" and "F-Zero disk 2" written on.

So I had the game ready, now I just had to wait for Mode 7 to land.....