Bullcrap gaming stories you heard as a kid

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

GigaPepsiMan

Bullcrap gaming stories you heard as a kid

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:22 am

This thread is dedicated to all the lies and urban video game myths you heard as a kid.
Just to get a few out of the way:
Naked Lara in Tomb Raider
All the capturing Mew stories in Pokemon (he can be captured but no one ever actually knew the real method until much later)
Various lies about Final Fantasy VII

My own personal one.
That the PS1 could run PS2 games if you overclock it

HisNHer_LP

Re: Bullcrap gaming stories you heard as a kid

Post by HisNHer_LP » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:48 am

I remember the naked Lara one, there was xploder codes all over mags for it!

What was the pokemon / Mew one? I had Mew, but I only managed to get him by using a xplorer..... and I made a killing a school because of it.

Never heard any FF7 ones, intrested to see what they are

One I always remember, if you enter a 17 button code on Resident Evil as the blood comes out the eye, you start the game, stamp the head off the first zombie, get a key, go outside, and find the rocket launcher or somthing like that..... I may have just put two cheats together.....

Got so bad on the resident evil one that me and a friend claimed to have done it, and told everyone how great it was......

thebear

Post by thebear » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:02 am

were tons of FF7, biggest probably bring Aeris back
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:02 am

All the Nude Raider ones are the first things that spring to mind.

Another one that a few people I know claim is possible is being able to shoot yourself in Goldeneye (none explosive) total BS...

Also the staple being able to revive that character in FF7 is one that always reared it's head in school yard conversations

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:57 am

Not long after I arrived at uni, a flatmate tried to tell me that only five people had ever beaten Metal Gear. I nodded along, thinking "yeah mate, keep digging..."

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:08 am

A guy at school for months said that he had a memory expansion pack and Ridge racer for his amiga.

This was when everyone was mesmorised by preview screenshots in magazines of the game for PS1. he was a huge amiga fanboy and would defend it to the death against anything else. he made all the excuses in the world to prevent anyone from seeing the game or even the box. we all deep down knew it was bullshit but kids being kids we all had that little voive in our heads that was going " but what if he is telling the truth ".

lying little bastard.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:25 am

The infamous Jet Set Willy lie !

You go to the end of the yacht i think it was, wait 12 hours and you then go to an island. Got to that point, kept my Speccy on overnight and in the morning - nothing. Apart from the Speccy so hot i could have fried eggs on it.

Still remember 'Monty' from school telling me he had Rambo on tape a few weeks before it was out, i gave him a tape and some money and finally after much hassling he gave me the tape back with Rambo written on it, nothing ! Just a game which wouldnt load, wasnt too happy !

noobish hat

Post by noobish hat » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:50 am

In about 1998, my friend told me about a game he had for the PS1, called Sledgehammer. It was basically a 3D GTA, where you could go where you wanted, do what you wanted, kill who you wanted, there were loads of different weapons and a whole city to explore. A few years later, and GTA 3 came out. Read into that what you will.

The stupidest one I ever fell for was a ridiculous April's fool's day cheat in CVG for some football game my friend had on the PS1. If you pulled off a ludicrous sequence of events, requiring a specific score at half time, bouncing the ball of the cross bar and other impossible crap, you could unlock a roster of players from probably 11 different copyright holders (Crash Bandicoot, Lara Croft etc etc). We spent a couple of hours trying to get that to work...

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:20 pm

hehe good idea for a thread. The two I can remember were the c64 emulator for the apple 2, which I actually still don't know about to this day, i'll have to research that. and the other was double dragon finally released for the C64... my lord ... kids would be swapping tapes and you would see "Double Dragon" on the load screen and get Jack The Nipper come up eventually. Of Phantom Karate Devils, that was a popular one. And these kids would get a huge thrill out of it... telling all their mates how they gave you a tape of double dragon that really wasn't double dragon. Don't you just want to shoot kids these days?

and of course in the end the real double dragon was one of the most disappointing, heartbreaking things ever, right up there with real heartbreak. Melbourne House... damn. You guys didn't even try. WHY DID YOU DO IT?!? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!???? IT BROKE MY HEEEEEAAART!!!!!!!!

*sniffs*. ok I'm better now.

*goes back to eating*.

snesfanboy

Post by snesfanboy » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:32 pm

a certain Dutch gaming magazine once posted an article in their cheats/moves section for Mortal Kombat 1 on the SNES where you had to do some strange things (like starting up the game x times, then do some button presses AND putting a couple of coins on top of the cartridge, since the pressure on the chips inside would help!) and when you did well, not only blood mode would be enabled, but all fatalities were changed in more brutal ones

i was young and i believed :roll:

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:49 pm

HisNHer_LP wrote:What was the pokemon / Mew one? I had Mew, but I only managed to get him by using a xplorer..... and I made a killing a school because of it.
You had to trade a Pokemon from another player that already knew the 'Cut' move and progress through the game without boarding the SS Anne (so that it doesn't leave the Vermillion harbour). Then come back later with the Surf HM, surf around the ship or something like that to find Mew. This was the 'method' that was always passed around at school anyway but I've not tried it.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Spector

Post by Spector » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:00 pm

Somebody at school back in 1985 claimed that if you finished the last screen on the C16 version of Punchy, you would see a female sprite meant to be his wife with a speech bubble coming out of her mouth saying "You're late, dear."

This was one of many absurd pieces of pork that fell out the guy's mouth.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:17 pm

Another Pokemon Red/Blue tale of bullcrap...

Some kid at school used to say that using a 'walk through walls' cheat with the cheat cartridge (this bit at least does work), you could walk north through some surrounding trees for a while and find a secret house. Inside were 3 fat guys who would give you five Master Balls.

:roll:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Dave300

Post by Dave300 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:29 pm

One of my schoolmates told me that on the Amiga version of Dungeon Master (I had an ST), on the top level (Hall of Champions) there was a certain invisible wall that opened if you waited by it, and inside was Lord Chaos sitting at a desk who looks up and throws fireballs at you. I totally believed him like a fool.

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:59 pm

Sensible World of Soccer coming out on the Mega Drive. Some kid said he'd played it and even though it was obviously untrue, it did make lot's of people wonder.
Oh, the kid was me. I'm not proud of it. :oops: