Daytona USA or Ridge Racer?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Combo-Breaker

Daytona USA or Ridge Racer?

Post by Combo-Breaker » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:47 am

Which do/did you prefer and why?

Daytona ALL DAY for me. RR was awesome and is still damn good, but Daytona USA, simple as it may be, is just so fun! Love it.

outdated_gamer

Re: Daytona USA or Ridge Racer?

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:15 pm

Graphics-wise, Daytona was miles better than Ridge Racer, comparing the Arcade versions. Gameplay-wise I have mixed feelings. I haven't played Daytona with a wheel so I don't think I have a good idea of the handling. The handling in RR was okay but not that good today, imo. I think OutRun is the better Arcade racer, even if you don't compare them.

tux

Post by tux » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:37 pm

Ridge racer on PS1 probably gave me my biggest ohmygodicantbelievethisisonahomeconsole moment of all time even. Playing Daytona on Saturn at around the same time failed to give the same effect, in fact i thought it was absolute guff. So due to rose tinted memories, i vote Ridge.

Montytom

Post by Montytom » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:40 pm

Can I choose rage racer. That was in my eyes the best of yhe ridge racer series

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:34 pm

Arcade wise Daytona was always the winner with a group of friends and the linked machines. The original RR machine with the clutch pedal was also good fun as well if you liked the challenge.

On consoles RR wiped the floor with the horrible conversion of Daytona!

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:39 pm

Montytom wrote:Can I choose rage racer. That was in my eyes the best of yhe ridge racer series

Would have been a great game if it weren't for the collision mechanics. I was certainly a raging racer after coming to a virtual standstill every time you brush the barrier or another car.

Saturn Daytona was a bit of a mess, but the arcade and 360 versions are epic, and overall I feel it's aged better than RR

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:17 pm

Riiiiiddddge raaaaaccceeerrrrrr! for me

Eat your nans pants

Tabe

Post by Tabe » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:36 pm

Negative Creep wrote: Would have been a great game if it weren't for the collision mechanics. I was certainly a raging racer after coming to a virtual standstill every time you brush the barrier or another car.
Hahaha, funny stuff. And so, so true. I played the heck out of that game after playing the demo that came on one of those PS1 sampler discs you used to be able to get right after the release of the system. I think I subscribed to them or something - I remember having at least 7 or 8 of them. But I digress.

Like I said, I played the heck out of Rage Racer despite the awful cheating. You hit a computer car from behind, your car comes to a dead stop, the computer guy rockets ahead. A computer guy hits you from behind? You....come to a dead stop and the computer guy zooms on by. Incredibly frustrating. And yet...it had great graphics for the time and was a load of fun.

I've never played the original Ridge Racer so can't vote one way or the other compared to Daytona. That said, while I loved Daytona in the arcade, I thought it was a really limited game for a home release. I only every had the redone 60fps version for the Saturn (the original US version being 30 fps and not very good) and I liked it but it wasn't great. Great graphics and fun and all that but...limited. I have the PS3 version and feel the same way about it. It's just one of those perfect "arcade" games that simply doesn't work as a home game, IMHO.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:04 am

I did have some fun with Rage Racer and managed to complete the standard tracks (although not the backwards ones) since at the time modifiying and repainting your car was fairly unique. However it obsolete the second Gran Turismo was released.

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:25 am

In the arcades I would choose a linked up Daytona over Ridge Racer any day, at home though It has to be Ridge Racer.

Truth be told I didn't play Daytona on the Saturn until at least a year after playing Ridge Racer on the Playstation but I was very disappointed when I eventually did get to play the game given how "Arcade Perfect" Ridge Racer felt.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:04 am

As most of you have said, there was nothing quite like Arcade Daytona USA against your mates.

Ridge Racer was a much better and more impressive PS1 game though than Daytona USA was a Saturn game.

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:14 am

I would choose 4 player Daytona link-up on intermediate level with 3 other mates it is great fun! :D

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:45 am

Comparing the arcade releases, unquestionably Daytona USA due to the multiplayer, the three tracks and the absence of any bloody commentators.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:38 am

NickThorpe wrote:Comparing the arcade releases, unquestionably Daytona USA due to the multiplayer, the three tracks and the absence of any bloody commentators.
I thought Daytona had a commentator as well (undeniably less irritating that the RR one though) - although i thing the one in Daytona USA could be your engineer/pit crew talking to you.

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:35 am

Yup, that's right - I'm much happier to listen to pit crew advice than commentary in arcade racers. Mario Kart Arcade GP 2 has an infuriating commentator, too.