CPC Emulator With Graphics Filters

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Managarm

CPC Emulator With Graphics Filters

Post by Managarm » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:40 am

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know an Amstrad CPC emulator with graphics filters/smoothers. I've tried WinAPE, CPCe and Arnold and they just offer basic blending.

Thanks,
Rob.

gunbladelad

Re: CPC Emulator With Graphics Filters

Post by gunbladelad » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:56 am

To be fair you don't really need much in the way of advanced filters when it comes to the CPC - especially when quite a few of the more popular games were essentially type-in listings (most early Amsoft stuff were coded entirely in BASIC) or rather lazy-looking ports of spectrum games.

Before anyone thinks I'm bashing the CPC - I do love it loads (still regularly playing Fruit Machine, Logistic and Fantasy Land Dizzy) - and in my opinion you should love the graphics as they were back then - not apply so many filters you could purify the worlds' most toxic water supply through them.
Where logic won't work, I will

Managarm

Post by Managarm » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:55 am

Hehe, fair enough. Maybe I should just play the games on my normal 17" TV monitor and not the 42" plasma next to it that makes it seem like I'm playing Legoland Dizzy!

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:47 am

I would guess it doesn't look to bad on a plasma. I use a 50" Panasonic plasma for VHS and Playstation 2 and I am happy with how it looks. Had it been on a LED/LCD I assume it would look terrible. Thats why I bought the plasma as it looks better on lower resolution/quality signals and even today most channels do not use 1080p and if they do much of it is upscaled .

I haven't tried my Amstrad CPCs/Spectrum+3 or C64s on my TV yet. But the lowresmodes of the C64/Amstrad CPC will probably not look to good in that size. Its only 160x200 pixels... Dizzy uses 320x200 pixels on the Amstrad CPC. Filters would make the emulator PC-output more like a real CPC or C64 so in my opinion it is something we should want and need. The Amstrad CPC RGB-monitor had a built in smoothing effect that we do not see in emulators. Thats why screenshots or videoes from CPC emulator do not look as good as the real thing. Of course most of the monitors have lost some quality compared to how it looked as new, so emulator output that look like how the screens looked like in the old days is probably what we should be looking for.