Zool Games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

djslope

Zool Games

Post by djslope » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:09 am

Hey Guys im trying to find out more info about the Zool series of games

I am up to my eyeballs in info about Zool & Zool 2 BUT...

According to Wiki there is a japan only release for Zool 3 & Zool 4 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gremlin_Interactive

Does anybody have ANY information about these games as I cant even find a logo???

any help from you guys will be very much appreciated
Much love
-DJ SLOPE

PostieDoc

Re: Zool Games

Post by PostieDoc » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:34 am

I didn't think the Zool games appeared on consoles as I always associated them with the Amiga (were they on PC as well?).

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:44 am

Don't forget that there was also the arcade machine. It was the first Zool game, but came in an arcade cab.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:04 pm

PostieDoc wrote:I didn't think the Zool games appeared on consoles as I always associated them with the Amiga (were they on PC as well?).

Gameboy, Gamegear, Snes, Megadrive, and Jaguar all got versions.

never liked them though, they all had that horrible immediately noticable feeling all home computer platformers had ( zool, superfrog etc ) that just completely off.

Alarm

Post by Alarm » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:45 pm

There is not a game of that title for the Sega 32X. The 'Zool 64' game is actually Zool: Majou Tsukai Densetsu and is a pretty obscure RPG from the equally obscure devco Pandora Box.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:48 pm

As always, just remember that Wiki is community-edited so it isn't always 100% reliable for information.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:56 pm

RodimusPrime wrote: never liked them though, they all had that horrible immediately noticable feeling all home computer platformers had ( zool, superfrog etc ) that just completely off.
What about Jazz Jackrabbit? :wink:

Granted, he was no Sonic or Mario, but a decent little computer platformer. Also, Amiga's Brian the Lion, C=64's Great Giana Sisters and DOS' Commander Keen.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:11 pm

I thought Flood and James Pond 2 were very good as well.

killbot

Post by killbot » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:56 pm

Zool 1 was released for the Amiga, ST, PC, Archimedes, CD32, both 16-bit consoles, the Game Boy, the Game Gear and the Master System. There was also a very limited arcade release. It is most associated with the Amiga, as it was hyped as the machine's answer to Mario and Sonic (it wasn't). The console versions all had slightly different level layouts and aren't as well regarded as the Amiga version. Also, ISTR that there was an extra level on the CD32 version (possibly on the floppy AGA version too, though that version is widely considered inferior due to various bugs and a lot of slowdown).

Zool 2 is by far the better game but wasn't anywhere near as popular and AFAIK the only releases were for the Amiga, CD32, PC and Jaguar.

I have heard rumours that Zool 3 was in development for the Wii but after a legal wrangle was reskinned as Ninjabread Man and Rock n' Roll Adventures (both of which are largely the same game with different graphics). Ninjabread Man got terrible reviews, so perhaps the franchise dodged a bullet here.

There is not, and never has been, a Zool 3 or a Zool 4/64 so I have no idea where the guy who put that on Wiki got his info from. Possibly a misunderstanding.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:50 am

RodimusPrime wrote:
PostieDoc wrote:I didn't think the Zool games appeared on consoles as I always associated them with the Amiga (were they on PC as well?).

Gameboy, Gamegear, Snes, Megadrive, and Jaguar all got versions.

never liked them though, they all had that horrible immediately noticable feeling all home computer platformers had ( zool, superfrog etc ) that just completely off.
I think the problem most Amiga platformers had was with level design. They all went after Sonic-type speed, but didn't grasp that the way to do that was to have large, sparsely populated levels where the player could get up a head of speed. In Zool (and to a lesser extent Superfrog) the problem is that every few seconds you're crashing into something because the level design is just way too busy.

Amiga platformers I remember enjoying are Harlequin, Tearaway Thomas, The Addams Family, Flimbo's Quest and Ruff 'n Tumble. Arabian Nights and Brian the Lion were also supposed to be excellent.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:55 am

Woody's World was my favourite.

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:35 am

Oscar was bloody awful, mind. Who the hell uses up to jump???
Going Solo...................

djslope

Post by djslope » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:44 am

yeah I thought this much that the games didn't exist...

this is apparently the intro made for the wii version (zool 3 or what ever it would had been called)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBxWhMcbzSk

Thank god they didn't make it lol

killbot

Post by killbot » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:18 pm

djslope wrote:yeah I thought this much that the games didn't exist...

this is apparently the intro made for the wii version (zool 3 or what ever it would had been called)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBxWhMcbzSk

Thank god they didn't make it lol
As I say, the game was finished and released, just with the Zool licence taken off it and the main character replaced with Ninjabread Man. The signs that this was supposed to be a Zool game are all over it (the first level is full of sweets and looks just like a 3D version of the first level of Zool 1, also the energy pick-ups are exactly the same hearts-with-wings as in the previous Zool titles). If you squint a bit while playing, Ninjabread Man even looks a bit like Zool, with the big head and bandana. He has swords and a projectile weapon, just like Zool. IMO they basically just swapped out the graphics for the lead character and left everything else more-or-less untouched.