OUYA!! Anyone have one?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

HisNHer_LP

OUYA!! Anyone have one?

Post by HisNHer_LP » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:18 pm

Thinking of picking up a OUYA! I remember when it was a kickstarter, the thing looked amazing, the idea of it sounded great, but up until last night, I seemed to have forgot about it, under the radar, does anyone here have one? whats it like?

I have been reading up on it today, Its main task would be for a emulation machine, a nice and compact one stop shop for everything, while im very slowly building up my retro games collections and Everdrives .

After reading up on it today, a few things tickled my fancy, including the XBMC, aswell as MASH UP, IceFilms, 1Channel, SportsDevil-Play, Navi-X, Live Sports Channels, Movie Channels, Documentary channels and News and network channels, there are prob more, but I have only seen these.

reading up on them, the thing sounds great! but is it? with the £80ish price tag, I may hunt Ebay and a few other places to see if I can get one cheap.

Is the machine stable? worth the punt? if you own one, would you recommend?

Scratch_Porkings

Re: OUYA!! Anyone have one?

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:25 pm

I'm personally waiting for Google TV, the joystick pad thingy looks just like a xbone controller and it's capable of running the unreal 4 engine. It might be a solid emu machine. Never know.
Scott me up beamie!

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:57 pm

I have one but havent had the time proper to invest in it . There are many youtube videos showing the plus and minus points. Me at the moment I really like it. It is the main place now i use my roms and emus. Im sure there is a huge amount im not doing with it, but even stupid things like pairing my spare ps3 controller with it impressed me.

Havent downloaded many games to be honest but for 80quid if you get it im sure youll be able to get your moneys worth.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:00 pm

No, I got a £50 android TV box instead
Any USB controllers supported, also bluetooth
Android market place
More powerful
Smaller

Was behind the Ouya, but then came the locked down market place

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:08 pm

The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

HisNHer_LP

Post by HisNHer_LP » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:58 pm

RetroAerosmith wrote:I have one but havent had the time proper to invest in it . There are many youtube videos showing the plus and minus points. Me at the moment I really like it. It is the main place now i use my roms and emus. Im sure there is a huge amount im not doing with it, but even stupid things like pairing my spare ps3 controller with it impressed me.

Havent downloaded many games to be honest but for 80quid if you get it im sure youll be able to get your moneys worth.
So I take it you dont know anything about setting up all these free TV services and stuff I said about in the first post? thats another strong plus for me if it all works as good as I have read.
DPrinny wrote:No, I got a £50 android TV box instead
Any USB controllers supported, also bluetooth
Android market place
More powerful
Smaller

Was behind the Ouya, but then came the locked down market place
Locked down market place? isnt this an easy fix or somthing or is this somthing I havent read about yet? Im still new to reading about OUYA so im prob way off with my information
HAHA! Funny! it was reading that thread that made me interested again in looking into the OUYA! now stop trolling ;)

junkmale

Post by junkmale » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:59 pm

I have one too but really haven't gotten around to using it much.
Like DPrinny i recently got an Android TV Box that came pre-installed with XBMC and all other sorts of goodness. I'm using it a lot.
Although my OUYA hasn't been used much i think i prefer the TV Box. It basically does the same thing but with many more options methinks.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:53 pm

HisNHer_LP wrote:
Locked down market place? isnt this an easy fix or somthing or is this somthing I havent read about yet? Im still new to reading about OUYA so im prob way off with my information
Soe something about the games having to be proted to work on it

On the other hand I still cant get touch screen only games to work without a touchscreen

TheVision

Post by TheVision » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:40 pm

A friend of mine had one and I thought it was terrible. The pad wasn't very good, there was a noticeable amount of lag on it and if I recall correctly, it was difficult to load up with roms.

If you're looking for something to emulate games, I'd spend the money on an old PSP or original Xbox.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:23 am

I'm surprised how good some of those sub-£50 tablets are.

I picked up a Sumvision Cyclone from Asda after a scratchcard win - handles N64, PS1, DS and Dreamcast hardly breaking a sweat. Battery life isn't great but considering the price it's hardly the most disastrous drawback.

It even came with an OTG cable - mere days after picking one up for my phone! :lol:

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:46 am

I have an Ouya, solely for emulation. The pad isn't the best, but I find it's necessary to set up the settings on the emulators etc, as it has the mousepad sensor thingy (not that it works amazingly well) on it. It's easy to connect a PS3 controller wirelessly, but after a while I always seem to keep getting an issue where the d-pad seems to get stuck in the "down" position (ie. my character will walk to the bottom of the screen, or crouch, and get stuck) when I'm not actually holding "down", if that makes sense? Anyone else had this problem? If X360 controllers are known to work better, I may consider getting one (I don't have a 360). I've tried reverting to the Ouya controller, but like has been said earlier, there is a slight lag, and it feels a bit clunky and cheap. When the PS3 controller works, the Ouya is amazing for emulation.
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:56 am

TheVision wrote:A friend of mine had one and I thought it was terrible. The pad wasn't very good, there was a noticeable amount of lag on it and if I recall correctly, it was difficult to load up with roms.

If you're looking for something to emulate games, I'd spend the money on an old PSP or original Xbox.
Yea, although for running on a TV and being compact i'd go for a hacked Wii. I absolutely adore my Wii - its a box of tricks with all its emulators, homebrew, Virtual Console channels, and is reasonable for multimedia (albeit not HD). Plus having access to every Gamecube and Wii game on top of that is a good advantage...

The "Classic" Controller for the Wii as well as the Wii remote also are decent control pads for the various systems you need to emulate. Its the reason i've never bothered with the Ouya.

thompson9980

Post by thompson9980 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:53 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:...I absolutely adore my Wii - its a box of tricks with all its emulators, homebrew, Virtual Console channels, and is reasonable for multimedia (albeit not HD)...
Out of interest, have you tried any Neo Geo emulators on the Wii? Or on the OUYA too for that matter (staying on topic :wink: )
STUFF WANTED:
Sega 32X
Sega Megadrive, Japanese, mark 1
Sega Megadrive II

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:29 am

^ For NeoGeo, RetroArch is reasonable as long as you get the right ROMs for it (you have to use ones from a certain revision of Final Burn Alpha, even then it can't handle files larger than about 24 meg so the later King of Fighters are out for example).

Mind you, a used Wii is only £20 or so...

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:27 am

Liamh1982 wrote:^ For NeoGeo, RetroArch is reasonable as long as you get the right ROMs for it (you have to use ones from a certain revision of Final Burn Alpha, even then it can't handle files larger than about 24 meg so the later King of Fighters are out for example).

Mind you, a used Wii is only £20 or so...
Then you have to get some decent controllers

This is the android box I got.
If only Mame4droid would read roms off and extruanl HDD
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151228066332? ... 1497.l2649