Best ISS Games (Pre PES Era)

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Post Reply
User avatar
Sephiroth81
Posts: 4594
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:35 am

Best ISS Games (Pre PES Era)

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:15 am

What with the World Cup in full swing, I feel its time to dig out the old classic International Superstar Soccer games to get justice and revenge for Englands dismal early exit!

What are your favourites from the series? PES doesn't count!

I only played the 16bit SNES original (and Deluxe) briefly. My first one I played in earnest was ISS Pro '98, then went on to arguably the best in the entire series ISS Pro Evolution (its sequel may have been slightly better). I feel these were the games that evolved into Pro Evolution Soccer.

What are the numerous N64 versions like? I might give them a try later. I remember being very envious of not owning an N64 at the time, and seeing ISS 64 in reviews out score the PS1's "ISS Pro".

User avatar
RodimusPrime
Posts: 4141
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Re: Best ISS Games (Pre PES Era)

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:28 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:What with the World Cup in full swing, I feel its time to dig out the old classic International Superstar Soccer games to get justice and revenge for Englands dismal early exit!

What are your favourites from the series? PES doesn't count!

I only played the 16bit SNES original (and Deluxe) briefly. My first one I played in earnest was ISS Pro '98, then went on to arguably the best in the entire series ISS Pro Evolution (its sequel may have been slightly better). I feel these were the games that evolved into Pro Evolution Soccer.

What are the numerous N64 versions like? I might give them a try later. I remember being very envious of not owning an N64 at the time, and seeing ISS 64 in reviews out score the PS1's "ISS Pro".
Me and my friends played nothing but ISS on the 64 for a while. It was brilliant, fast arcadey, and with brilliant animation. It also had depth, although it was arcadey it had the full rnage of moves that would carry on to the PES series.

User avatar
Sephiroth81
Posts: 4594
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:35 am

Re: Best ISS Games (Pre PES Era)

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:06 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
Me and my friends played nothing but ISS on the 64 for a while. It was brilliant, fast arcadey, and with brilliant animation. It also had depth, although it was arcadey it had the full rnage of moves that would carry on to the PES series.
I remember FIFA 64 getting amusingly bad reviews at the time, and ISS 64 showed how it was done. Thats probably the time when the series had the biggest gulf in quality between them (Fifa Vs Konamis games). Now they all seem quite similarly matched.

Might give ISS 64 a go then - or is it worth going straight for ISS 98 or ISS 2000?

User avatar
resident paul
Posts: 4489
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:26 am
Location: Preston, Lancashire

Re: Best ISS Games (Pre PES Era)

Post by resident paul » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:51 pm

My first play with ISS is ISS Pro on the PS1.
I like the game & the commentary on it like this:

"I'm glad I got out of bed today!"
"He was BORN to score!"
"He's got a head of steel!"
"SCORCHIO!"
"My grandmother could've saved that one!"

:wink:
Image

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 15008
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: Best ISS Games (Pre PES Era)

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:12 pm

It doesn't carry the ISS name but Goalstorm on the PS1 is in the same family/timeline and is great fun as well as being ridiculous at the same time. Some classic examples:

- Why are the goals so huge?
- Why do defenders take goal kicks?
- What the hell is with the bizarre sound effects for run-ups and kicking of the ball?
- Why is it that yellow-carded players will (90% of the time) punch the ref and get sent off? It makes winning games very hard sometimes!

It's brilliant fun though, even if the game content is piddling, the graphics badly dated etc. The commentary is ace too with some particularly funny goal celebrations :lol:
"YEEEEEES!!! GOOOOAAAAL!!!"
"Goal, Goal GOAL!!"
"It's a rocket!"
"GOAL! SUPER GOAL!"
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
crusto
Posts: 5586
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Birmingham

Re: Best ISS Games (Pre PES Era)

Post by crusto » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:46 pm

Iss pro 98 on the N64 = awesome
Image

Eat your nans pants

Bub&Bob
Posts: 6833
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:24 am

Re: Best ISS Games (Pre PES Era)

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:58 pm

ISS64 = the best, post pub footie gaming fun ever
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

User avatar
dste
Posts: 7099
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:55 pm
Location: Northumberland

Re: Best ISS Games (Pre PES Era)

Post by dste » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:43 pm

ISS Deluxe on the SNES.

The scorelines that you can rack up on that is just insane.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

User avatar
Negative Creep
Posts: 3842
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:59 am
Location: Rochester, Kent

Re: Best ISS Games (Pre PES Era)

Post by Negative Creep » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:30 pm

resident paul wrote:My first play with ISS is ISS Pro on the PS1.
I like the game & the commentary on it like this:

"I'm glad I got out of bed today!"
"He was BORN to score!"
"He's got a head of steel!"
"SCORCHIO!"
"My grandmother could've saved that one!"

:wink:

From memory their pronunciation of Nigeria was also completely off key and sounded bizzare
Image

Steve1982
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:27 pm

Re: Best ISS Games (Pre PES Era)

Post by Steve1982 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:29 am

1 thing i will say

iss/Pes has the best soundtracks ever

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... aA7eNKUjuG

User avatar
ArchaicKoala
Posts: 1098
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:52 am

Re: Best ISS Games (Pre PES Era)

Post by ArchaicKoala » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:00 am

The first ISS game I played was ISS Deluxe on the SNES and even now it holds up well unlike some other football games from the era. I will add as well that I was blown away at the time with the fact that it had commentary albeit a bit lacking

My favourite though has to be ISS 98 on the N64. Even today me and a friend will fire this up and have a laugh with it. We are both terrible at the game but because of this much hilarity usually entails which usually culminates in a friendship ruining penalty shoot out :lol:

User avatar
Mire Mare
Posts: 2560
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:11 am
Location: onboard the Stellar Patrol Ship Feinstein

Re: Best ISS Games (Pre PES Era)

Post by Mire Mare » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:34 am

I'm another big fan of ISS64. It's probably my most played footie game since I started playing footie games. Single player was superb whilst two player added a huge amount of longevity to the game. I played ISS '98 but seem to remember preferring the purity, less options, of the original.

Rodimus summary of the game hits the nail squarely on the head. ISS64 straddles the line between arcade and simulation perfectly. It's fast, fun, football with a good amount of technical gameplay.

User avatar
nakamura
Posts: 7582
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:32 pm
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Best ISS Games (Pre PES Era)

Post by nakamura » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:02 am

Negative Creep wrote:
resident paul wrote:My first play with ISS is ISS Pro on the PS1.
I like the game & the commentary on it like this:

"I'm glad I got out of bed today!"
"He was BORN to score!"
"He's got a head of steel!"
"SCORCHIO!"
"My grandmother could've saved that one!"

:wink:

From memory their pronunciation of Nigeria was also completely off key and sounded bizzare
It was like the CD was swapping to another language at that moment!

Goal Storm is Winning Eleven in Japan and the birth of PES.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

User avatar
skodathegreat
Posts: 476
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:11 pm
Location: Stirlingshire

Re: Best ISS Games (Pre PES Era)

Post by skodathegreat » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:29 pm

ISS64 tops it for me.

It was the first of the series I played, and I feel that its how football games should be.

The last few versions (last 6 years) of FIFA / PES, while certainly more realistic, just aren't as fun to play.
Image

errolwd40
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:39 pm

Re: Best ISS Games (Pre PES Era)

Post by errolwd40 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:28 pm

I loved Iss pro evolution in ps one way back in 2000. It was the first one to include club sides via the awesome master league.

The following year the sequel iss pro evolution 2 was released and was even better, offering more clubs and 2 leagues where you needed to win promotion before you could really add to your squad of no hopers.

I still have master league data and some classic goals saved on my third party ps one memory cards.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests