Did you ever get an expensive disaster for Xmas?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mancman

Re: Did you ever get an expensive disaster for Xmas?

Post by Mancman » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:38 am

Spector wrote:On the Retro Video Gamer site, we've been discussing the merits of the great Amstrad GX4000 console. The thing is, I've never come across anyone who actually got this machine at the time it was heavily marketed (Xmas 1990). The same applies to the elegant, stylish Commodore 64GS Games Console, also released in 1990.

Is there anyone on this forum that actually received one of these disastrous machines for Christmas the year it was full price? Were you expecting a Master System or NES instead? When you unwrapped the console, how awful did you feel? Did you throw up and sh1t yourself on purpose?

To anyone with a story like lhis, my commiserations in advance.
I share your pain.

I got one at release, an upgrade from the CPC464. It didn't take long for me to realise I'd made a huge mistake. There were a couple of great games, Switchblade and Robocop 2 spring to mind but I made the decision to return it Dixons, however I knew they wouldn't take back a non faulty GX4000 so I dug out an old copy of Amstrad Action and found a double page spread on the GX4000 including the inner workings.

I located the sound chip and snipped a couple of wires and put it back together!

Returned it to Dixons and claimed the sound had stopped working, they didn't even check it. They asked if I wanted a replacement to which I replied "Can I have Gameboy instead"

Lo and behold ten minutes later I'm walking out a happy teenager!

I don't mind admitting that, Amstrad pretty much gave up the GX4000 shortly after release!

Spector

Post by Spector » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:19 am

Mancman wrote:
I share your pain.

I got one at release, an upgrade from the CPC464. It didn't take long for me to realise I'd made a huge mistake. There were a couple of great games, Switchblade and Robocop 2 spring to mind but I made the decision to return it Dixons, however I knew they wouldn't take back a non faulty GX4000 so I dug out an old copy of Amstrad Action and found a double page spread on the GX4000 including the inner workings.

I located the sound chip and snipped a couple of wires and put it back together!

Returned it to Dixons and claimed the sound had stopped working, they didn't even check it. They asked if I wanted a replacement to which I replied "Can I have Gameboy instead"

Lo and behold ten minutes later I'm walking out a happy teenager!

I don't mind admitting that, Amstrad pretty much gave up the GX4000 shortly after release!
What an absolutely brilliant story! I always suspected there would be at least one unfortunate soul on here that got one that Christmas, but your method of getting rid of it, by snipping the sound cable and changing it for a gameboy, is genius. Has there ever been a bigger two fingered salute to "Lord" Sugar than this one? :mrgreen:
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:49 am

I still remember a mag at the time did a vs feature on what console to get for Xmas ( i think it was mean machines ) and they said the Gx4000 would be the one to go for.

I feel sorry for anyone who followed that peice of shitty advice.

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:13 pm

Same surely must go for anyone who got a 3D0?

And I'll take issue with the article that tried to claim it was 'ahead of its time'. Clearly it wasn't, as shortly after it was released the vastly superior Playstation came along and utterly trounced it.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:25 pm

joefish wrote:Same surely must go for anyone who got a 3D0?

And I'll take issue with the article that tried to claim it was 'ahead of its time'. Clearly it wasn't, as shortly after it was released the vastly superior Playstation came along and utterly trounced it.

depends, I imagine that if, at the time, you woke up at christmas to a fancy new CD machine with need for speed, road rash, and streetfighter etc you would have had a grat christmas morning. longterm maybe not so much.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:36 pm

psj3809 wrote:As for friends one had a Dragon 32 for Xmas (lol), one of our best mates somehow got an Oric which was ridiculous !
Depends what year that was. When I got my Oric is one of the best Christmases ever, and for the couple of years they were still around the games were comparable to the Speccy and other systems. Its only in the long term that devs got to know the Speccy and really pushed it, making games far better than expected. Looking at modern Oric games, it can still hold up pretty well to some of the later Speccy stuff.

If you'd got an Oric when it was on its last legs, then that's not so good.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

tux

Post by tux » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:07 pm

I wanted a c64, i ended up with an Atari 65xe.
"nowt wrong with that" i hear you cry

*listens for cries*

Well it may have retro kudos now but back in the day i was the only one in my whole school with one(that fact is not based on me asking everyone). I couldnt swap games with anyone. My local retailer on stocked about 4 games for it at any one time. Also while my friends could get great arcade conversions- Atari seemed to make weird PD style games that no one had ever heard of mostly.

Mancman

Post by Mancman » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:59 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:I still remember a mag at the time did a vs feature on what console to get for Xmas ( i think it was mean machines ) and they said the Gx4000 would be the one to go for.

I feel sorry for anyone who followed that peice of shitty advice.
I was preaching to anyone who would listen about how the GX4000 was the future of gaming and far superior to anything sega or nintendo would ever release.

Suffice to say I was proven wrong and that was last time I ever was :wink:

alistair_thomas

Post by alistair_thomas » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:11 pm

My parents got me Mortal Kombat 3 for PC (CD-Rom DOS version) for Christmas 1995. We couldn't get it to work until around July 1996!

EDIT: I also asked for a Game.Com for Christmas one year (I think it may have been 1997) and although I loved it at the time, playing it recently, it's horrendous! We also ended up with two. It was ordered from Index (remember Index?) but never received, so my parents called them up and a replacement was sent. About half a year later, my dad was doing some gardening for next door whilst they were on holiday, and he found a soggy package in a bush. It turns out it was the original Game.Com that had been sent, and for some reason just thrown over next door's fence. The actual item inside was in pristine condition and Index didn't want it sent back.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:08 pm

Closest we got was christmas day plugging in the brand spanking new family Speccy +2 and just before starting the tape to play Ghosts n Goblins the whole thing 'froze' and refused to do anything. A swift unplug , wait and second try to no avail. Few days later we had taken it back and got our replacement +2 , never looking back.

Never really received disastrous games or consoles as gifts. Even mistakes were tolerable. A couple of the first games I was ever bought for my MD were Castle of Illusion , Strider and Streets of Rage all of which are games I still enjoy now. Although to be quite fair after months of only having Altered Beast anything was welcome.

Spector

Post by Spector » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:33 pm

alistair_thomas wrote:My parents got me Mortal Kombat 3 for PC (CD-Rom DOS version) for Christmas 1995. We couldn't get it to work until around July 1996!
Isn't that normal for DOS games? :lol:

A lot of these stories are funny and sad in equal measure. In particular I'm thinking of the story regarding psj3809's next door neighbour. Having considered the options, I think in his position I would have said to my parents "look, we've made a mistake. Let me take it back for a refund and I'll use some of my xmas money to get a Spectrum instead. Alright??" No way would I spend a year with that in my bedroom. But I am so sorry for the orics and game.coms that you guys in this thread were saddled with. Maybe you should have cut the sound wires like Mr GX4000 did!
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

Son_of_Shinobi

Post by Son_of_Shinobi » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:58 pm

psj3809 wrote:My folks got me tons of presents every year but relatives were mostly just a game if that.
spoilt brat were we :lol:

rolan

Post by rolan » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:21 pm

Zelda 2 the adventure of Link.... Worst sequel ever. Still annoys me anytime I'm reminded of its existence to be honest.... only other Nintendo published game that managed to annoy me more was the uncontrollable mess that was wonderful 101.

sirpigmeat

Post by sirpigmeat » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:06 am

Can't remember if it was xmas or a birthday, but my first Spectrum 48k sort of fizzled and let out a stream of black smoke soon after plugging it in... my parents must have replaced it though and never had a problem again with it...

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:49 am

The year I got my C64, LOVED LOVED it but it was died before the new year. We had to sent it back, my mum got a refund then she had to buy me another one. I took months before I was back playing on a C64
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image