Did you ever get an expensive disaster for Xmas?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Spector

Did you ever get an expensive disaster for Xmas?

Post by Spector » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:36 pm

On the Retro Video Gamer site, we've been discussing the merits of the great Amstrad GX4000 console. The thing is, I've never come across anyone who actually got this machine at the time it was heavily marketed (Xmas 1990). The same applies to the elegant, stylish Commodore 64GS Games Console, also released in 1990.

Is there anyone on this forum that actually received one of these disastrous machines for Christmas the year it was full price? Were you expecting a Master System or NES instead? When you unwrapped the console, how awful did you feel? Did you throw up and sh1t yourself on purpose?

To anyone with a story like lhis, my commiserations in advance.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

Negative Creep

Re: Did you ever get an expensive disaster for Xmas?

Post by Negative Creep » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:42 pm

Not for me, as I tihnk all mine were Birthday or other presents (and were all great) but my best friend in primary school got a Watara Supervision whilst I had a Game Boy. Ouch.

Spector

Post by Spector » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:52 pm

Just looked up the Supervision games list on Wikipedia. How sad I feel at never having played the likes of 'John Adventure', 'Recycle Design' and 'Witty Cat'. Funnily enough though, I do seem to remember playing 'Hash Block' in my teenage years, though not with a Supervision.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:12 pm

the only bad xmas expirances for me were being excited about getting a karate game on pc but it refused to run on pc and getting a cd with most of my amiga games in rom form with an emu as I recall I only had a 600 at the time so I count play certain games the emulator was very hit and miss ((this was pre broadband thats why it was bought on cd).

also got time crisis on ps1 when I was much yonger and was disapointed at how much diffrent it was when your not at a blackpool arcade with the recoil gun metal pedal and such. but no major console disasters
This guy are sick

crusto

Post by crusto » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:59 am

My first PCE was practically dead on arrival. The picture would go black and white and flickered as soon as the machine warmed up. The fly by night (but very professional looking) company that sold it to my mom had long since bolted when we tried to return it.

Good old Telegames eventually sorted it out for us, after losing the machine we sent them for repair lol. They gave me a brand new replacement. :D

Eat your nans pants

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:47 am

When i got my Amiga for Xmas it had issues, i was devasted, second the shops opened again my folks took me back to get a replacement.

Also got a voodoo 3d card for Xmas, i'm crap with hardware so i was sure i had messed it up as i couldnt get it working, not the case, just a faulty card and the replacement worked fine.

As for friends one had a Dragon 32 for Xmas (lol), one of our best mates somehow got an Oric which was ridiculous ! He managed to persuade his rich parents a few months later to get a Speccy instead.

Spector

Post by Spector » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:50 am

psj3809 wrote: As for friends one had a Dragon 32 for Xmas (lol)
There you go, I mean, that's just beautiful. Waking up on Xmas Day with so much expectation... only to find your parents have bought you the biggest pile of crap imaginable. I don't know what I would have done if I had been him. Surely he didn't ask them specifically beforehand for it??

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:54 am

He was my next door neighbour and was yeah pretty gutted. I must admit it was interesting seeing games on the Dragon as back then it was actually quite good when mates had something different like a Beeb/Oric/Dragon. Made me appreciate my Speccy tons !

But yeah the Dragon, a weird choice. Again why didnt parents back then just ask neighbours what computers their kids had instead of making a crazy decision like that ?!

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:08 am

My biggest disaster was last christmas.

I got the PS4 player edition (with killzone, camera and 2 pads). Waited all day until the kids went to bed. Set it up. Red Light!!!!

Very unhappy.

Luckily went back to Game on boxing day. Managed to swap it over (they still had some of that pack left in stock).

I think the manager only swapped it because he saw the size of the queue going out of the shop! :lol:

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:54 am

psj3809 wrote:He was my next door neighbour and was yeah pretty gutted. I must admit it was interesting seeing games on the Dragon as back then it was actually quite good when mates had something different like a Beeb/Oric/Dragon. Made me appreciate my Speccy tons !

But yeah the Dragon, a weird choice. Again why didnt parents back then just ask neighbours what computers their kids had instead of making a crazy decision like that ?!
when most people had a nes or sms I had an A500 a speccy 48k and a tatung einstein and i got a nes when every one had snes or md but I always had more games so mabybe that was the logic for the dragon 32 also on ps1 launch I Got an A1200 then got ps1 when more games were out
This guy are sick

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:49 am

Not expensive by these standards, but £15 was a lot of money when I were a lad and my Dad was a teacher and father of four; and it was my own fault for asking for it. White Lightning on the Spectrum, that promised to be a tool for creating your own brilliant and amazing games. So why on Earth was it based around the truly terrible programming language FORTH? I mucked around with the sprite editor, but that was it. And the manual was printed in tiny text on green paper (in an attempt to stop people photocopying it) that just made it unreadable.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:16 am

joefish wrote:Not expensive by these standards, but £15 was a lot of money when I were a lad and my Dad was a teacher and father of four; and it was my own fault for asking for it. White Lightning on the Spectrum, that promised to be a tool for creating your own brilliant and amazing games. So why on Earth was it based around the truly terrible programming language FORTH? I mucked around with the sprite editor, but that was it. And the manual was printed in tiny text on green paper (in an attempt to stop people photocopying it) that just made it unreadable.
I'd think that the fact that White Lightning didn't come with any games as demos ought to have been a hint that it was a bit of a lemon. Indeed, I don't think I've ever come across anyone who managed to make a non-trivial game with it.

Anyway, I think it's a bit unfair on FORTH to judge it by White Lightning as it's a decent enough language for what it is, albeit based on a very different paradigm to BASIC, and you really need a proper text editor to use it. The abomination that White Lightning came with looks like it was cobbled together in five minutes and simply isn't up to the job.

The closest equivalent for me would be Melbourne House's HURG; I did actually succeed in making a couple of games with, but they were fairly dreadful affairs. If they'd marketed it as a Make-Your-Own-Horace (without sound) that'd have been a fair representation of what it was, but it certainly wasn't capable of more sophisticated fare.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:33 am

I got Mortal Kombat on the Game Boy one Xmas, some might think that to be a disaster but I quiet enjoyed it at the time.

Flint

Post by Flint » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:13 am

Not quite the same but...

I got a NES for christmas which was one of the best presents I got as a kid.

Then on boxing day I got another one, I think my Aunt and Uncle were expecting a better reaction that the one they got.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:15 am

Damn your aunt/uncle were generous !!

My folks got me tons of presents every year but relatives were mostly just a game if that.