Capcom Vs SNK (the first one)...

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Megamixer

Capcom Vs SNK (the first one)...

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:13 pm

Is there any way to play this aside from on the Dreamcast and not including the inferior PS1 version (which I've already owned in the past)? Has it been re-released digitally on anything at all?

As much as the sequel is one of my favourite games ever, I do also really like the first game and would really like to play it again but I don't want another Dreamcast just for this one.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Antiriad2097

Re: Capcom Vs SNK (the first one)...

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:47 pm

Can't you just emulate the DC version?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:50 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Can't you just emulate the DC version?
I would have thought you knew me better than that...

Well it's an option I suppose. I'm just surprised that this game hasn't had a PSN/XBLA re-release or something. They did the PS2 version of the sequel on PSN (I think) but seemed to have skipped the original.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:59 pm

Well, since you said you didn't want a DC (which is the really hard thing to believe ;)), I didn't see you had many other options and wasn't sure how informed you were on DC emulation. Its pretty good, I've even had DC stuff on my Android tablet! And it is one of those games where you're probably going to want to use a fight stick, so retaining the original controller isn't as much of an issue with the emulation experience.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:11 pm

I've owned a DC but it was one of the many consoles that I didn't have room or time for so I sold it.

I'm not against emulation at all; my PC's are just old and crap and not situated anywhere where I can sit and play games comfortably on them for any length of time. It would just be more convenient to get the game going on a console but obviously Capcom don't want my money :wink:

Son_of_Shinobi

Post by Son_of_Shinobi » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:29 pm

Megamixer wrote:I've owned a DC but it was one of the many consoles that I didn't have room or time for so I sold it.

I'm not against emulation at all; my PC's are just old and crap and not situated anywhere where I can sit and play games comfortably on them for any length of time. It would just be more convenient to get the game going on a console but obviously Capcom don't want my money :wink:
Dude, you DON'T own a specially kitted up original Xbox then?

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:38 pm

Son_of_Shinobi wrote:
Megamixer wrote:I've owned a DC but it was one of the many consoles that I didn't have room or time for so I sold it.

Dude, you DON'T own a specially kitted up original Xbox then?
No room for one. I do have an original Xbox but I just don't have space to have it under the telly unfortunately so I've never bothered to do much with it. It's just in storage until the day I have time/space to get through some of the games I have for it.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:52 am

The original CvS only got a Dreamcast release, with the pseudo sequel Pro getting both a DC release (Japan only) and Playstation (now with long load times!). Your out of luck I'm afraid unless you just go for the sequel which got a PS2 release and I believe it might have been re released via the PS3 digitally.
While I'm not a fan of the fixed ratio stuff and some of the cast on the first game I do really love the backgrounds and the killer soundtrack. And the Geese stage.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:49 am

First one>Second.

It feels like they messed up the SNK charaters giving them a third punch and kick

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:25 am

ShadowMan wrote:The original CvS only got a Dreamcast release, with the pseudo sequel Pro getting both a DC release (Japan only) and Playstation (now with long load times!). Your out of luck I'm afraid unless you just go for the sequel which got a PS2 release and I believe it might have been re released via the PS3 digitally.
While I'm not a fan of the fixed ratio stuff and some of the cast on the first game I do really love the backgrounds and the killer soundtrack. And the Geese stage.
CvSNK2 is one of my all-time favourites. I actually played it before the original and ended up with the PS1 Pro version at one point which is butchered but still decent given the obstacles. I didn't keep it though and wouldn't exactly be crazy about buying back a poor port.

I would have thought that it would have been re-released by now. The fact that the sequel made it to PSN proves that there are no licensing issues with SNK.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:11 pm

Best fighting game ever. I own a Dreamcast only for this game.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Trixta

Post by Trixta » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:20 pm

You could buy the arcade board + a super gun?

Didn't it also come out on neo geo?
psn- jason_trixta
wii u - trixtaa
twitter - @jason_trixta

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:29 pm

You should deffo get an original modded xbox and a stick for your beat em ups.you can get them all running arcade perfect pretty much.all the stretfighters,vs series darkstalkers theres loads.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:32 pm

Trixta wrote:You could buy the arcade board + a super gun?

Different game,
Was SNK vs capcom Chaos and was a bit cack.
Dont think the first came out in the arcade

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:51 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Trixta wrote:You could buy the arcade board + a super gun?

Different game,
Was SNK vs capcom Chaos and was a bit cack.
Dont think the first came out in the arcade
It came out on Naomi.

SNK vs Capcom had a Neo Geo MVS cart as well as it's own dedicated JAMMA board.

Can't agree with these Xbox comments though. :lol:
Logged out 15/07/2014.