Help! Amiga 500 blues

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Sepp Salerno

Help! Amiga 500 blues

Post by Sepp Salerno » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:27 pm

Hello everyone! Firstly - I know it's been a while since I've popped up on here, but work has been super busy and have lead me to become somewhat nomad mostly playing emu on my DS, but I'm back now and on returning we found out that our LG LED tv has decided to bite the dust (man they don't make stuff to last anymore...the thing was only 4 years old)

Who cares, and what's it got to do with us or Amiga 500's? You might ask

Well, I replaced the TV this afternoon with a samsung LED and the set up I had in the front room is now totally F'd :(

Up in the attic/mancave I have mostly the old cart consoles set up a chunky old sony but I keep my beloved Amiga 500 pride of place in the front room with the ZX, and where the LG would manually tune in the 500, now this new samsung (which only seems to have auto tuning) will not tune in with the 500...all I get is a fuzzy image of the load screen.

Can anyone help!? Other than take my amiga up into the attic with the rest - how can I play this bad boy in my comfy set up on the LED?

Antiriad2097

Re: Help! Amiga 500 blues

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:43 pm

Get an RGB cable instead of using RF would be the best option, then you wouldn't have to tune it and you'd get a sharper image.

You might get away with tweaking the screw on the modulator though. Depends what model Amiga you have. There's a screw on the modulator that just needs turned a fraction (not even a quarter turn) and that adjusts the frequency the signal is output on. That might let your auto tune pick it up better. Failing that, there's always the Amiga > VCR > TV route, using the VCR as your tuning device and taking SCART from there to the telly.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:46 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Get an RGB cable instead of using RF would be the best option, then you wouldn't have to tune it and you'd get a sharper image.

You might get away with tweaking the screw on the modulator though. Depends what model Amiga you have. There's a screw on the modulator that just needs turned a fraction (not even a quarter turn) and that adjusts the frequency the signal is output on. That might let your auto tune pick it up better. Failing that, there's always the Amiga > VCR > TV route, using the VCR as your tuning device and taking SCART from there to the telly.
Thanks sir, If anyone was going to pop up with the tech knowledge I was pretty sure it'd be you :wink: I will give it a cog tomorrow :D

skodathegreat

Post by skodathegreat » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:57 pm

My Samsung LED does not like the RF signal from older consoles at all.

Both the Master System 2 and NES have a rolling flicker and poor sound quality, completely unplayable.

Using av cables, the NES is fine, unfortunately the MS2 doesn't have av out (as standard!).

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:36 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Get an RGB cable instead of using RF would be the best option, then you wouldn't have to tune it and you'd get a sharper image.

You might get away with tweaking the screw on the modulator though.
Sorted :D
Tweeked with the 520 mod like you said and done! Think I'll spend sunday on some pure point and click beauty :wink:
although on a dodgy note one of boxes I was keeping a load of my games in seems to have got mouldy since we've been away...and pretty much the only game left that loads is Night Breed...and who wants to play that anyway. Lucky it was mostly full of the titles I didn't bother with much like flight sims, and a few of my doubles, but somehow Shadow of the beast found it's way in there and is now knackered.

Ebay here I come

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:19 pm

An old sock or similar filled with some rice put in the box with your toys will minimise moisture and thus rot. Its cheaper than silica gel packs.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

skodathegreat

Post by skodathegreat » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:42 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:An old sock or similar filled with some rice put in the box with your toys will minimise moisture and thus rot. Its cheaper than silica gel packs.
A great tip.

Also provides a backup meal in the case of a zombie apocalypse.

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:19 am

skodathegreat wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:An old sock or similar filled with some rice put in the box with your toys will minimise moisture and thus rot. Its cheaper than silica gel packs.
A great tip.

Oh man, you've solved two issues in one there sir :wink:

Flint

Post by Flint » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:30 pm

skodathegreat wrote:
A great tip.

The geekiest episode of Doomsday Preppers ever.
Last edited by Flint on Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:11 pm

Flint wrote: The geekiest episode of Doomsday Preppers ever.
:lol: