XBone ad

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

crusto

XBone ad

Post by crusto » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:55 pm

Just seen the latest Xbone ad on ITV HD..

WTF is that all about?

To sum up, basically an annoying so and so sitting on a sofa bigging up so so features that have little to do with gaming :shock: . Are Microsoft actively trying to discourage sales or what?

Who on earth would want to watch TV whilst playing an intense online match of Titanfall? Not me, a major distraction imo.

Who would quickly become sick of shouting commands at a console. (Xbone or any other) When a quick button press is just as effective, and probably more reliable? Yeah.

Epic Fail.

Just focus on the games MS. If you had served me a 1 minute ad of the Halo HD collection followed by the statement "only on Xbone" I may have shown some interest.

Eat your nans pants

Negative Creep

Re: XBone ad

Post by Negative Creep » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:49 pm

They have been pushing the entertainment machine angle from day one, though admittedly that may not be the wisest of moves. Voice commands are the only thing the Kinect is good at, so may as well plug them as well.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:15 pm

My Kinect is rubbish at voice commands. In the ad Aaron Paul from Breaking Bad casually chats to his Xbox, I have to scream at my Kinect and even then it rarely does as I've asked. I do know why this is however, it's because I have to put my Kinect behind the TV whenever I've finished playing so my 2 year old daughter doesn't grab it and smash it and I can't be bothered to re calibrate it everytime, it's largely a useless lump of plastic. As for the add, well I'm a fan of Breaking Bad so I like Aaron Paul and I like Xbox Ones so I quite like the commercial.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Son_of_Shinobi

Post by Son_of_Shinobi » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:16 pm

Yo, the ad is awesome. Jesse Pinkman fronting Xbone - WINNER! censored.

The one thing that made me laugh, is just who would want to watch TV when playing Titanfall, or any other game from that matter - you concentrate on one rather than the other, well - I assumes most people do anywayz

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:23 am

I dunno, I was playing a game and watching the football via my ipad the other day. world cup is probably the only time i'd do that, and only for the group stages though :D

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:18 am

Well, you all remembered it and are discussing it so it has obviously worked. TV ads on ITV are not exactly aimed at core gamers.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:41 am

... because historically speaking every add for a console has been outstanding :roll:

That said can anybody remember the add for the Playstation in which a guy is sitting in a restaurant and gets served a PS1 and proceeds to eat it bit by bit, he even does the memory card in one... that was a cracking add. Another one that springs to mind is the add campaign that SEGA put out when the Master System was released in the UK... A talking TV says to the viewer DO ME A FAVOUR PLUG ME INTO A SEGA :lol: class :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:22 am

Looks like they're still under impression that the good Kinect sales on the 360 mean that people want more of the same with the One... :wink:

Can't fully blame them, though. The original Xbox and the 360 used to be "money burners" untill Kinect came along. But I think it's now becoming obvious that the majority simply wants a "game box", not a multi-media/entertainment hub.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:10 am

XBOX ONE if you don't have HD MI TV MS want you to fu*k your self now theres your ad i would love an XBO but it would cost me double due to the mandatory tv upgrade
This guy are sick

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:17 am

In fairness, I found it impossible to use my 360 without an HD tv - the resolution was so poor, I couldn't see a lot... made it look like an N64.

And the ad is horrible - but then Sony, MS they want us to want media boxes, almost like they want to sell Tivos with added games - just give me games goddammit..
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

snesfanboy

Post by snesfanboy » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:12 pm

there is literally nothing worth playing on Xbox One now or in the near future, so they HAVE to play it up as an entertainment machine

when a HD collection of games from last gen is your big trump card (when it should be a release for the fans to support REAL big releases), then it's really poor

right now, if i would buy a next gen console, the Wii U would have the most chance

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:30 pm

Yeah, saw that ad and thought "what a load of rubbish". Definitely wouldn't sell the XBO to me but then again, if I paid any serious attention to ads then I wouldn't have bought anything from Nintendo DS/Wii onwards :lol:

At least we - the gamers - have the luxury of knowing what the score really is.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:30 am

slacey1070 wrote:In fairness, I found it impossible to use my 360 without an HD tv - the resolution was so poor, I couldn't see a lot... made it look like an N64.

And the ad is horrible - but then Sony, MS they want us to want media boxes, almost like they want to sell Tivos with added games - just give me games goddammit..

oh I have a hd tv just its the old crt ana'ouge type pre hdmi when you could have upscaled SD or 1080P NOTHING inbtween
This guy are sick

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:41 pm

I've just been unfortunate enough to watch this ad again. I think it may actually be the worst ad I have witnessed in a very long time.

Yyyyyyooooo

:lol:

What a load of old bollocks and a total non advert for a very capable system..

Eat your nans pants