Video Games Within Video Games.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ToxieDogg

Re: Video Games Within Video Games.

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:51 pm

killbot wrote:Also, the SNES version of Prince of Persia is hidden in The Forgotten Sands on the Wii. The 360 and PS3 versions, IIRC, contain PoP2 instead.
It's actually the MAC OS version of the original game that's unlockable in Forgotten Sands on the Wii. Neither the 360 or PS3 versions have an unlockable game (and they themselves are a completely different game to the Wii version anyway).

Prince Of Persia: The Sands Of Time on PS2 and Gamecube has the original game as an unlockable, whereas the Xbox version of Sands Of Time contains both the original and Prince Of Persia 2 as unlockables.

Also, I think you can play Zork within Call Of Duty: Black Ops? :?
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:19 am

Not sure if it counts as it's not strictly a video game that was ever released on its own, but there was a 'Streets of Rage'-style game called 'Armies of the Night' that could be unlocked in 'The Warriors'. Pretty decent, too.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

PlodMadLoon

Post by PlodMadLoon » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:32 am

Id Software's "Commander Keen in... Goodbye Galaxy!" (aka Keen 4) has got a pretty good version of Pong incorporated into the menu screen.

32Bitter

Post by 32Bitter » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:44 am

The PDA game in Alien Hominid.
Sonic in Sonic Generations
Don't think!....Feel!.

Mallo

Post by Mallo » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:40 pm

Legend of the Mystical Ninja (aka Goemon) for the SNES has some great mini games in it, including Gradius/Nemesis, a TV quiz show, and a neat horse racing game, among others. Love that game :)

sludgefeast.co.uk - the slimy underbelly of human existence Image Image Image

Gibberish Driftwood

Post by Gibberish Driftwood » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:32 pm

Banjo Kazooie has this bit towards the end the game turns in to a quiz show. :?:
Really weird, but a nice change of pace.
Ken sent me.
Do the Kirby dance: (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')>

thebear

Post by thebear » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:12 am

HisNHer_LP wrote: GTA SA - in your house on grove street you can play some form of space invaders game

Think it;'s a Gyruss clone rather than Space Invaders
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

SNESdrunk

Post by SNESdrunk » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:54 am

Blades of Steel for NES had a really crappy version of Gradius (barely) that you played at an intermission, that blew my freaking mind as a kid
SNESdrunk
Is ____ Worth Playing Today?
Why the Hype for _____?
https://www.youtube.com/user/1SNESdrunk

ootini

Post by ootini » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:05 pm

Gibberish Driftwood wrote:Banjo Kazooie has this bit towards the end the game turns in to a quiz show. :?:
Really weird, but a nice change of pace.

Was it this or Donkey Kong 64 that had the Speccy version of JetPac hidden in it?

Wizkid on the Amiga also required you to play a variant of asteroids after you'd collected all the cats and got to the island. You needed to beat Zark's high score in order to complete the game properly.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:39 pm

ootini wrote:[

Was it this or Donkey Kong 64 that had the Speccy version of JetPac hidden in it?
Donkey Kong 64 it was. DK64 also had a playable version of the original Donkey Kong arcade game in it as well.
ImageImage

killbot

Post by killbot » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:41 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:
ootini wrote:[

Donkey Kong 64 it was. DK64 also had a playable version of the original Donkey Kong arcade game in it as well.
Does it have the Pie Factory level? If so I'd like to find that as most of the official conversions omit it (except the anniversary version for the Wii, which frustratingly hasn't been re-released since).

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:50 pm

killbot wrote:Does it have the Pie Factory level? If so I'd like to find that as most of the official conversions omit it (except the anniversary version for the Wii, which frustratingly hasn't been re-released since).
Yes, it does has all 4 screens. It's an emulation of the arcade version as opposed to the NES version :)

Within the level you find the DK arcade machine on, you can only play through it twice (which you do do to earn a Nintendo coin you need later in the game), but you can also unlock it to play from the main menu as well.

This, along with the fact that it also contains Rare's own Jetpac game is the reason I believe why Donkey Kong 64 never turned up for download on Virtual Console, unfortunately :(
ImageImage

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:28 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Well there you go, I thought it was just the two vector games.
The first two can be unlocked normally, while the third requires cheat codes to do that.

On a side-note, not only does Bully have some retro-style games on the arcade machines (all of which can be found in the fairground - the various save houses only have one in each), it also has has a "Qix"-style game for the art class - probably one of the more enjoyable classes. Depending on the version of Bully the chemistry class is essentially a rhythm game - and of course there's a grass cutting task as well (Lawn mower simulator anyone...)
Where logic won't work, I will

killbot

Post by killbot » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:59 am

ToxieDogg wrote:
killbot wrote:Does it have the Pie Factory level? If so I'd like to find that as most of the official conversions omit it (except the anniversary version for the Wii, which frustratingly hasn't been re-released since).
Yes, it does has all 4 screens. It's an emulation of the arcade version as opposed to the NES version :)

Within the level you find the DK arcade machine on, you can only play through it twice (which you do do to earn a Nintendo coin you need later in the game), but you can also unlock it to play from the main menu as well.

This, along with the fact that it also contains Rare's own Jetpac game is the reason I believe why Donkey Kong 64 never turned up for download on Virtual Console, unfortunately :(
Excellent. Maybe its time I finally dug out that old copy of DK64.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

PlodMadLoon

Post by PlodMadLoon » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:18 pm

I've always found it strange how seldom the arcade Donkey Kong pops up (far less common than the NES version). Am I right in understanding there's some kind of legal reason for it? I think I remember reading somewhere that Ninty farmed out the coding duties on the arcade version to an outside company and so there were a few things in it which are therefore legally dubious when it comes to redistributing it (whereas the NES version has got a clean bill of health because it was entirely 100% coded from scratch in-house by Nintendo itself).

That could all just be an 'internet myth' though.