For Sale: Capcom

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

pratty

Re: For Sale: Capcom

Post by pratty » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:16 am

Matt_B wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:I don't see the likes of sega or Konami having the money to buy Capcom.

I worry its going to be Sony or MS.

Anyway, the thread title is misleading, The avtual company is not actually for sale.
Yeah, they're no more for sale than any other publicly listed company, and with a market cap of 120 billion Yen, I doubt there are too many potential buyers either.

Nobody in the games industry outside the big three has the money to buy Capcom, and I can't see Nintendo stumping up what would be around a sixth of their cash reserves so yes, that pretty much leaves Sony and Microsoft.
I didn't the article so yeah i guess they're not actually 'for sale' then, maybe more open to offers.

Microsoft would probably have the cash but seeing how some investors aren't keen on their games division as it is maybe investing in Capcom wouldn't be a welcome move for them either. Although i guess anybody wanting to buy Capcom would only have to buy a controlling share rather than all of it. Might be best a 'neutral' outsider buy it if anybody, rather than the big three which might just asset strip the copmpany for it's IPs and a few select development teams.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Son_of_Shinobi

Post by Son_of_Shinobi » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:34 am

shakeyournoggin wrote:Capcom is up for sale as they abandon their stock take over defenses.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/06/17/c ... -to-buyout

Who would you like to see purchase the beloved developer and all the fantastic franchises that come with them?

I'm hoping Nintendo takes the reigns as Capcom have enjoyed some great success with their Nintendo exclusives (e.g. Ace Attorney, Monster Hunter, Resident Evil: Revelations), and it would be great to see that continue.
So what impact will this have on future Street Fighter games? And please dont say double :wink:

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:52 pm

silvergunner wrote:Scary to think if they get bought out by the wrong company that they could disappear forever :shock:

Maybe a merger with konami?
That would be good.

CapKomi.

Eat your nans pants

Son_of_Shinobi

Post by Son_of_Shinobi » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:14 pm

crusto wrote:
silvergunner wrote:Scary to think if they get bought out by the wrong company that they could disappear forever :shock:

That would be good.

CapKomi.

Koncom?

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:03 pm

SNK
SNK vs Capcom 2..........................

killbot

Post by killbot » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:44 pm

Nintendo. They need more first-party franchises and here's one way to get hold of dozens of great titles at a stroke. Sure, $500m is a lot for one company to shell out but Nintendo has the readies and the lure of having Street Fighter, Resident Evil and Monster Hunter exclusive to their consoles might mean they take the plunge.

While they're at it, they should buy Platinum and get them to work on updates of classic Capcom games.

The only other real alternative is for them to go to some investment bank that asset-strips them and breaks up the company, which would be a real tragedy.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Combo-Breaker

Post by Combo-Breaker » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:04 am

crusto wrote:

That would be good.

CapKomi.
I like it! :D

shakeyournoggin

Post by shakeyournoggin » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:05 am

Son_of_Shinobi wrote:
shakeyournoggin wrote:Capcom is up for sale as they abandon their stock take over defenses.

Who would you like to see purchase the beloved developer and all the fantastic franchises that come with them?

I'm hoping Nintendo takes the reigns as Capcom have enjoyed some great success with their Nintendo exclusives (e.g. Ace Attorney, Monster Hunter, Resident Evil: Revelations), and it would be great to see that continue.
So what impact will this have on future Street Fighter games? And please dont say double :wink:
I suppose if one of the three main console producers buys enough controlling stock it could mean that any future Street Fighter game is exclusive to their system. Since Street Fighter has always been a multi-platform title I personally think it would be sad to see that happen however, I think Nintendo would treat Capcom's franchises with a great deal of respect and perhaps revive a few of them as well.

Also I noticed some of you didn't think the title of this thread (For Sale: Capcom) was accurate so I thought I'd share my opinion on that. If one company buys a majority share of Capcom's stock they will essentially fall under that companies control and be able to influence Capcom's future direction. So in a sense Capcom can be bought however, Capcom have apparently stated if anyone does attempt to buy them out, they will take steps to insure that their board of directors and share holders have sufficient time to make a decision on it.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:22 am

shakeyournoggin wrote:
Son_of_Shinobi wrote:

I suppose if one of the three main console producers buys enough controlling stock it could mean that any future Street Fighter game is exclusive to their system. Since Street Fighter has always been a multi-platform title I personally think it would be sad to see that happen however, I think Nintendo would treat Capcom's franchises with a great deal of respect and perhaps revive a few of them as well.

Also I noticed some of you didn't think the title of this thread (For Sale: Capcom) was accurate so I thought I'd share my opinion on that. If one company buys a majority share of Capcom's stock they will essentially fall under that companies control and be able to influence Capcom's future direction. So in a sense Capcom can be bought however, Capcom have apparently stated if anyone does attempt to buy them out, they will take steps to insure that their board of directors and share holders have sufficient time to make a decision on it.
Still not for sale though. " For sale " implies the company is being made available by them to buy outright.

shakeyournoggin

Post by shakeyournoggin » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:49 am

I understand what you mean, and after reading a few more articles on the subject I could have used 'Possible Capcom Buyout/Takeover' which would have described the situation more accurately.

The Sane Psycho

Post by The Sane Psycho » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:48 pm

The Nintendo fanboy in me wants Nintendo to buy them out. I'm pretty sure that alone would be enough to sell systems for Wii U. Perhaps I'm just naive, but Capcom, despite some troubles in the past few years, is one of the most respected developers of all time, and their games and franchises are among the most popular. If franchises like Street Fighter, Resident Evil, and Mega Man (if they even careab out it) were exclusive to Nintendo, I can only see profit for them.