For Sale: Capcom

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

shakeyournoggin

For Sale: Capcom

Post by shakeyournoggin » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:23 pm

Capcom is up for sale as they abandon their stock take over defenses.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/06/17/c ... -to-buyout

Who would you like to see purchase the beloved developer and all the fantastic franchises that come with them?

I'm hoping Nintendo takes the reigns as Capcom have enjoyed some great success with their Nintendo exclusives (e.g. Ace Attorney, Monster Hunter, Resident Evil: Revelations), and it would be great to see that continue.

crusto

Re: For Sale: Capcom

Post by crusto » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:25 pm

Anybody but EA or Microfilth

Eat your nans pants

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:53 pm

Platinum Games to buy Capcom so Mikami, Kamiya and Inaba can revive all their franchises that died after they left Capcom.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:54 pm

Nintendo I guess. They might be able to do something with some of the classic franchises. Either that or just sell off Megaman to Inafune so he can finally make Legends 3. Honestly this comes as no surprise, they've been on a downward spiral to me since last year and their poor E3 showing means this news comes to no surprise. Pity, as I am playing their NES era stuff at the moment and they were fantastic back then.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:03 pm

Scary to think if they get bought out by the wrong company that they could disappear forever :shock:

Maybe a merger with konami?

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:02 pm

Well considering all the Pr disasters they have been having (Resi 6, SFXT on disc DLC, countless SF4 updates, MVC3 updates)

Maybe a Sega/Sammy/Capcom thing could happen

Or Konami

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:09 am

Nintendo would be good, they need some more exclusives and I think they'd treat their franchises well. I reckon they'd love to get their hands on things like Viewtiful Joe, Okami and Mega Man.

Imagine if Nintendo had the next Streetfighter exclusively. What about a Nintendo vs Capcom 3 on 3 fighter? Ryu in Smash Bros? Monster Hunter eclusivity would probabally ensure Nintendo's handheld future, certainly in Japan anyway.

Problem is Nintendo are under pressure to become profitable again, and 500 mil spent on Capcom wouldn't help with that, not in the short term anyway.
Last edited by pratty on Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:13 am

Probably Konami or Sega. If Nintendo buy them, I'll never see another game from them ever again, which would be a shame. Same with MS. I don't think any of the main three console companies should get them.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:32 am

ShadowMan wrote:Nintendo I guess. They might be able to do something with some of the classic franchises. Either that or just sell off Megaman to Inafune so he can finally make Legends 3. Honestly this comes as no surprise, they've been on a downward spiral to me since last year and their poor E3 showing means this news comes to no surprise. Pity, as I am playing their NES era stuff at the moment and they were fantastic back then.

Nintendo would seem the logical step for both parties. Perhaps it will be a lesson to other companies that systematically annoying your customers isn't such a good idea?

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:48 am

With a rich history that has been scarred by recent misdemeanours, it would need to be a company with a sympathetic approach.

It would be a shame to lose that past and Id have to agree that Konami or Sega would at least keep the name multi format. Cant see it though.

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:01 am

I don't see the likes of sega or Konami having the money to buy Capcom.

I worry its going to be Sony or MS.

Anyway, the thread title is misleading, The avtual company is not actually for sale.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:50 am

As we saw with SEGA it is much more likely to be an unknown company that want's a videogames division, or a Chinese investment firm, or most likely a mobile game developer looking to exploit the IP. Can't see Nintendo buying them.

They are not up for sale yet, but if investors want more profits it's probably not a good indication.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:59 am

Very sad that Capcom have fallen this low in the space of a single console generation :(

Hopefully somebody who takes some risks with older, dormant IP might get involved but I can see how that these could be perceived as financial risks.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:23 am

Fightersmegamix wrote:As we saw with SEGA it is much more likely to be an unknown company that want's a videogames division, or a Chinese investment firm, or most likely a mobile game developer looking to exploit the IP. Can't see Nintendo buying them.
At the time of the Sega-Sammy merger, Sammy already had a games division that developed and published games for arcades and home consoles, including games such as Guilty Gear and Viewpoint. Additionally, Sega acquired Atlus only last year. Bearing all that in mind, I can't see that Sega's case offers any evidence against the prospect of an existing games company taking over Capcom.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:23 am

RodimusPrime wrote:I don't see the likes of sega or Konami having the money to buy Capcom.

I worry its going to be Sony or MS.

Anyway, the thread title is misleading, The avtual company is not actually for sale.
Yeah, they're no more for sale than any other publicly listed company, and with a market cap of 120 billion Yen, I doubt there are too many potential buyers either.

Nobody in the games industry outside the big three has the money to buy Capcom, and I can't see Nintendo stumping up what would be around a sixth of their cash reserves so yes, that pretty much leaves Sony and Microsoft.