AMIGA items

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

retro_mongo

AMIGA items

Post by retro_mongo » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:06 pm

where can i get games, n all the other stuff for my Amiga 500?

it's like i need the work bench discs, a internal hard drive...yes i know ebay
but im a sucker for never be used items.

im still looking for the Amiga batman pack brandnew

DrBlue

Post by DrBlue » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:24 pm

Keep an eye on Amibench (http://www.amibench.org/). You can occasionally find some real bargains on there.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:27 pm

You'll be lucky to find anything Amiga related that isn't used.

The internal hard drive is a standard 2.5" affair I believe although I don't know what the maximum capacity an Amiga supports is.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

DrBlue

Post by DrBlue » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:33 pm

It is possible to fit a standard 3.5" HD to an Amiga (with a little internal modification and a beefed up PSU).

There is no limit to the size of a hard drive on the Amiga but it most be split into partitions of no bigger than 4.2gb each (there are a couple of ways around this though).

CrookedMouth

Post by CrookedMouth » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:34 pm

When was a 2.5" standard?
Couldn't resist since it was Dudley.

demon cleaner

Post by demon cleaner » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:44 am

One of the best online shops is www.vesalia.de

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:39 am

CrookedMouth wrote:When was a 2.5" standard?
Couldn't resist since it was Dudley.
It's standard in laptops and has been for 15 years. Amiga internal hard drives ARE 2.5" laptop style devices, at least in the case of "consumer" amigas like the A600.

If you're going to nitpick, it helps to be right.

Lindopski

Post by Lindopski » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:35 pm

Funnily enough the slap on the side drive that came with my A500 was a 3.5" inside , also the A1200 I had hard drived by Chester computers many years ago was fitted with a 3.5" drive.
even so I would usually associate 2.5" with Amiga.
Retro when it wasnt cool

Woody

Post by Woody » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:40 pm

Hi try these

http://www.amigadeals.co.uk/

I've used this site in the past, to buy work bench disk

or

http://amiga-shop.amigakit.com/

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:42 pm

Dudley wrote:You'll be lucky to find anything Amiga related that isn't used.

The internal hard drive is a standard 2.5" affair I believe although I don't know what the maximum capacity an Amiga supports is.
The maximum supported Amiga hard drive is a 4GB drive, but as for Amiga Hard Drives - it's only the 600 & 1200 that take an internal 2.5" HDD - the 500 doesn't have any provision for an internal HDD although you can get a addon, that plugs into the side expansion slot, enabling you to connect either a SCSI or an XT drive - but these addons take only a 520MB 3.5" drive !!!

DrBlue

Post by DrBlue » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:09 pm

The maximum supported Amiga hard drive is a 4GB drive,
IDE equipped Amiga's will accept drives larger than this. The 4.2gb is a limit on partition size. Although truth be told I doubt you'll ever use anywhere near 4.2gb (ahhh, remember when software was compact).

I believe that the 4 way IDE buffer that Eyetech used to sell solved this problem, but i doubt you'll find one easily nowadays.

Power Computing used to sell the Viper 520CD which was an IDE interface for the A500. But these are hard to find especially since Power Computing stopped selling Amiga stuff a few years back.

If you do find one though it will also give you the ability to add a CD ROM drive. But then you'll need more RAM. A500 RAM modules are easy to find on eBay but can be pricey.

It's sad to say but if you are looking to build a powerful Amiga nowadays you need alot of time and money. Your only other option is emulation.

michaelf

Post by michaelf » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:22 pm

Dudley wrote: The internal hard drive is a standard 2.5" affair I believe although I don't know what the maximum capacity an Amiga supports is.
The max capacity for Workbench revisions earlier than 3.5 was 4gb ... not sure what the max was / is for AmigaOS 3.5 / 3.9 / 4.0, though my 3.9-equipped Amiga has a 8gig HD. It's also a 3.5" doofer, but then I've cheated and installed my Amiga into a Power Tower (so it sits in a 3.5" drive bay).

I still remember my first Amiga hard disk ... a 2.5" one, capacity 80Mbs :D

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:26 pm

DrBlue wrote:
The maximum supported Amiga hard drive is a 4GB drive,
IDE equipped Amiga's will accept drives larger than this. The 4.2gb is a limit on partition size. Although truth be told I doubt you'll ever use anywhere near 4.2gb (ahhh, remember when software was compact).

I believe that the 4 way IDE buffer that Eyetech used to sell solved this problem, but i doubt you'll find one easily nowadays.

Power Computing used to sell the Viper 520CD which was an IDE interface for the A500. But these are hard to find especially since Power Computing stopped selling Amiga stuff a few years back.

If you do find one though it will also give you the ability to add a CD ROM drive. But then you'll need more RAM. A500 RAM modules are easy to find on eBay but can be pricey.

It's sad to say but if you are looking to build a powerful Amiga nowadays you need alot of time and money. Your only other option is emulation.
Yes 4GB is the maximum supported partition size, but unless you have OS 3.5 or above or you use an updated or third party partitioning tool (not the Commodore HDToolBox that comes with AmigaOS/Workbench) you won't be able you partition any drive above 4GB (you'll only be able to partition the first 4GB worth of the HDD)

Saying that, I have a 1.2GB drive in my Amiga 1200, and even with AmigaOS 3.5, shed loads of games & my fav applications, It's still only 30% full - software really was compact back then!

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:36 am

I'm not entirely sure about that, my Amiga folder is 19.5GB ;)

DrBlue

Post by DrBlue » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:20 am

You flash git :)

I still have an old 250mb in one of my A1200's and it is still only around 50% full.

68k assembler code is so much more compact than the hulking behemoth that is C.