Video/Computer Game History Books

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

kiwimike

Re: Video/Computer Game History Books

Post by kiwimike » Tue May 01, 2018 4:32 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 3:34 am
That's an interesting take on things. As an American book, how skewed towards their perspective of gaming is it? I do note that it covers very early history and Japanese developments, so is it fairly neutral?
It just arrived today (I bought from UKs book depository site) so haven't had a really good read so shouldn't get too carried away until I read it properly! I just found the concept quite intriguing. But for a graphic novel that comes in at just under a couple of hundred pages it does seem to try to cover as much as it can and does an admirable job of it. As you would expect it does go heavily for the US-centric story with the NES salvation after the crash type thing. From what I can tell there isn't a lot on the UK scene, if any...though I did note a little spectrum in a graphic panel with a group of other eight bit computers and wee ZZap 64 cover in another panel! :lol:

It is a really interesting spin for a book on gaming history though, which is why I bought it, it was something a bit different.
The best summation I think at this stage before reading it, is it covers the timeline history along the same kind of line as the Tony Hawk narrated Video game invasion DVD :)

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:12 am

Just thinking I was considering a pick up of 1001 games to play, being on a good deal from Amazon atm. Light reading but a great coffee table book. Will have a good think about this, as the hardcovers on a good special at the moment, but still have to consider how much room is in the bookcase vs how much more value it would give to the video game history book collection...considering it is so light n fluffy in regard to information depth...yet is the size of a brick.

Phoenix IV is now out of course, and keen to get hold on the deluxe, colour hardcover version- but damn it's expensive along with hefty post cost. It will need to wait for a price drop, or favourable exchange rate, or preferable both :lol:

Also checking out the Playstation Anthology currently, this book looks rather gorgeous

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:04 am

kiwimike wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:12 am
Also checking out the Playstation Anthology currently, this book looks rather gorgeous
Got a link to that one? Only ever had the RG bookazine thing when it comes to Playstation "books" but I got rid since most of the articles were of no interest to me or covered games that I'd heard way too much about.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:11 pm

I'm crap at links that work. It's on amazon though. Looks nice- there are a few online reviews on it. I had originally seen it promoted in RG mag, but wasn't until I saw the reviews online that you could see it was something pretty nice.

Expensive though- it isn't cheap.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:07 am

This one?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/1001-Video-Gam ... 1844037665

Looks like there's been some revisions, or at least some cover changes over the years.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:27 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:07 am
This one?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/1001-Video-Gam ... 1844037665

Looks like there's been some revisions, or at least some cover changes over the years.
Cheers...no that's the one I was looking at, Megamixer was keen on the 'Playstation Anthology' book.

I nearly did buy that 1001 games book, cheap enough, certainly page value! But at the end of day it's more bookshelf space taken for nothing not had already. You can be more choosey now with so many game and game history books now. My next one will probably be the Zzap annual via the kickstarter :)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:09 am

Doh, so it is.

Double doh! I missed the Zzap! annual kickstarter by a day, so I'll need to wait until later to buy it :(
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:28 pm

Y'know, this is a good opportunity to give Fusion retro books a plug here. My first one was oli freys art book kickstarter, which was one of the best and fun ones I've been involved in. Sine then I've bought the ocean and us gold ones, done the crash kickstarter with the bonus little spectrum book and now zzap kickstarter. They never disappoint - the books are superb quality and highly recommended ☺

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:58 am

There's a rather nice new book looking at 8-bit budget games that just launched on Unbound 8)

https://unbound.com/books/8-bit-on-a-budget/

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:36 am

Looks good. Is this ready to go to print, or a work in progress?

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:02 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:36 am
Looks good. Is this ready to go to print, or a work in progress?
About 3/4 done, finishing it is a formality really.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:04 pm

https://www.bitmapbooks.co.uk/collectio ... ture-games

Had to buy this, it looks amazing and i splurged on the deluxe version for a change, ive not bought from Bitmap Books as yet so if this turns out good i shall investigate their back catalogue further. :)

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:40 pm

Who else has received issue #1 of the Fusion game mag? It's a nice little read, covers all sorts from retro to modern and even a little feature on the Tabletop stand alone Grandstand Astro Wars.

A fun mag which I'll be getting every second month :)

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:47 am

I keep forgetting to mention this new book on here The SNES Omnibus: Volume 1

Both Darran and I made contributions to it. 8)

merman

Post by merman » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:37 am

Here's one you might not have seen:

The Secret History of Mac Gaming by Richard Moss

https://youtu.be/Nlds1_sKxOw
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube