Video/Computer Game History Books

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RetroBob

Re: Video/Computer Game History Books

Post by RetroBob » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:47 am

Looking forward to Console Wars, it's coming out here in August if you want an actual book (the imaginary version is already available).
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:31 pm

Regarding It's Behind You by Bob Pape.

I so often see it referred to as 'the book about making R-Type'.

If I'm honest, I delayed reading it because I thought it would be too focused on one small(?) event.

In truth, it encompasses much more than R-Type, being a rough history of one man's journey through the 80s as a programmer.

There are so many little tales about other people he worked with and the places he went. Well worth a read even if you don't like R-Type since in many ways the game is just a background event to the real story.

Read it in the last few days and thought it was great, can't believe I put it off for so long.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

JoeNTMY

Post by JoeNTMY » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:45 pm

I'll have to check out Masters of Doom. I'm currently playing through the series in anticipation of the new Doom.
HisNHer_LP wrote:I don't know if it's what your looking for or not, but I'm currently reading, and playing through "1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die"

Gives a little info on each game, not too much but it's decent for looking at a few games and thinking "censored I remember that game" or finding games you never got a chance to play but always wanted to, I think it's a decent book to have around.

Again, not sure if it's what your looking for or not
Gotta agree with this.

stevenhowlett

Post by stevenhowlett » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:29 am

Shameless plug for my own computer history book...

Diary of an 80s Computer Geek

This is an autobiographical look at the development of home computers and games during the 80s from a teenager's perspective. The book provides an insight into how the availability of affordable functional devices generated legions of enthusiastic fans and spawned a new generation of coders and developers. The book touches upon many computers from the 80s, but focuses mainly on the ZX Spectrum.

Available from Amazon (Kindle), Google Play (Android) and Apple (iOS). Only 79p (UK) / 99¢ (US). Also available in Paperback too.

Other recommendations: The Masters of Doom book is superb. I read that from cover to cover in about 7 hours.

NEW RETRO BOOK - DIARY OF AN 80s COMPUTER GEEK
A Decade Of Micro Computers, Video Games and Cassette Tape
Available from Amazon Books (£3.50) and Amazon Kindle (79p)

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:16 am

I am currently reading back and forth in "Before the crash" http://www.amazon.com/Before-Crash-Hist ... me+history

It is ...different. Very academic "paper" style with annotated references etc, and many different topics. Still, many good parts, and it led me to the ambient arcade sounds on youtube. I also didn't connect the vector company Cinematronics with the laserdisc company behind Dragon's Lair, but they are the same!

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:04 pm

Just Bumping the topic up...

Just trying to remember who does the Visual Guide to Spectrum/C64 and Ocean books? I recall someone leaving a link in one of the topics and they looked damn nice. Was going to add them in this topic on gaming books but old age creeping in :lol:

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:03 am

Chris Wilkins (Boyo)?
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:14 pm

kiwimike wrote:Just Bumping the topic up...

Just trying to remember who does the Visual Guide to Spectrum/C64 and Ocean books? I recall someone leaving a link in one of the topics and they looked damn nice. Was going to add them in this topic on gaming books but old age creeping in :lol:
Those books are excellent...

http://www.fusionretrobooks.com/

Got all 3 speccy books plus the US Gold one which is a great read. The others i've heard are excellent as well

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:18 am

Thanks man, yeah I totally forgot, but felt they deserved to be added into this topic

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:23 am

In the last year I've read Service Games: The Rise & Fall of Sega, which is a little dry, but you can skip past the specs pages if that doesn't interest you. An interesting history of the company, just reads like a textbook in places though.

Console Wars is a good read too, although as mentioned earlier, a lot of it is dramatised, and some of the dialogue is cringeworthy, the way the author tries to squeeze as much exposition into conversation as possible. And yes, the bias in Tom Kalinske's favour is overwhelming - Nintendo are the huge corporate bad guys, and Sega are the up and coming underdogs. Nevertheless, an interesting read. I remember hearing that a documentary based on it was in the works, and also a movie, but I haven't heard anything about that in a while.

I'm currently reading Grand Thieves and Tomb Raiders, which is all about the birth of the British games industry. Really interesting to see how a lot of the famous publishers started out from such humble beginnings. Seems better written than the other books I've mentioned too.
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:29 am

I do love 'Arcade Fever' which is an older book on classic arcade machines, got the original plus its cheap to buy second hand on amazon i think. I'm surprsied how few books there are on arcade machines.

Books like '1001 video games to try before you die' i really enjoy, mention a lot of classics, well worth picking up.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:44 pm

Yes, arcade fever is not only cheap, it's actually surprisingly good, with plenty of great photos throughout. There aren't a great deal of good arcade books around, there's the encyclopedia of arcade games that has had a few mixed reviews...but has been so expensive I haven't bought it.
Looking forward to RGs Arcade Bookazine.

Last book I bought I think was Brett Weiss' 100 Greatest Console games '77-'87. Not a bad book to look out for, has a few different games added to the usual suspects, and I enjoy the style it's written in.

Timothy Redux

Post by Timothy Redux » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:59 am

kiwimike wrote:Yes, arcade fever is not only cheap, it's actually surprisingly good, with plenty of great photos throughout. There aren't a great deal of good arcade books around, there's the encyclopedia of arcade games that has had a few mixed reviews...but has been so expensive I haven't bought it.
Looking forward to RGs Arcade Bookazine.

Last book I bought I think was Brett Weiss' 100 Greatest Console games '77-'87. Not a bad book to look out for, has a few different games added to the usual suspects, and I enjoy the style it's written in.
yer, arcade stuff is defo top of the interest list for me too
The Artist Formerly Known as Timothy Lumsden...

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue May 01, 2018 2:06 am

I've just bumped this topic as I stumbled upon a book that's a bit different, and kind of cool. It may have been mentioned on the forum already as it was published in 2017, apologies if so.

It's called The Comic Book Story of Video Games By Jonathan Hennessey / Jack Mc Gowen.

Basically, it's a graphic novel of the history of the gaming industry. Although as in depth as you would expect it to be, I'm finding it surprisingly good and enjoyable, worth having a look at.

Just found it totally by accident :)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue May 01, 2018 3:34 am

That's an interesting take on things. As an American book, how skewed towards their perspective of gaming is it? I do note that it covers very early history and Japanese developments, so is it fairly neutral?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.