Video/Computer Game History Books

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Tabe

Re: Video/Computer Game History Books

Post by Tabe » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:45 pm

Just finished "Grand Thieves and Tomb Raiders". Very good book with lots of great stories on the humble beginnings of so many famous developers and games. Does have some laughably terrible or incorrect moments though - the author claims that "Earthworm Jim" was the first game to get licensed products arising from the game. I guess in the world of the author, Pac-Man never existed. Later, the author tries really hard to put Earthworm Jim on the same level as Mario and Sonic as mascots. Sorry but no. Just no. Still, overall, a very good book.

And, if anybody in the US wants my copy, it's yours if you pay shipping to get it.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:22 am

Tabe wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:45 pm
Just finished "Grand Thieves and Tomb Raiders". Very good book with lots of great stories on the humble beginnings of so many famous developers and games. Does have some laughably terrible or incorrect moments though - the author claims that "Earthworm Jim" was the first game to get licensed products arising from the game. I guess in the world of the author, Pac-Man never existed. Later, the author tries really hard to put Earthworm Jim on the same level as Mario and Sonic as mascots. Sorry but no. Just no. Still, overall, a very good book.

And, if anybody in the US wants my copy, it's yours if you pay shipping to get it.
I was at a gaming event where he was doing a guest talk and after one of the most vague fact-less talks you'll ever hear he did a Q&A where he couldn't seem to answer a single question properly! When it ended he actually seemed quite embarrassed and made a pretty hasty exit.

I am even more intrigued to read the book now!

Tabe

Post by Tabe » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:47 pm

The Laird wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:22 am
Tabe wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:45 pm

I was at a gaming event where he was doing a guest talk and after one of the most vague fact-less talks you'll ever hear he did a Q&A where he couldn't seem to answer a single question properly! When it ended he actually seemed quite embarrassed and made a pretty hasty exit.

I am even more intrigued to read the book now!
Interesting. I certainly would not have gotten the impression from the book that the author didn't know their stuff. My feeling from the book is that the author went all-in on the "how Britain conquered the world" angle and just ignored anything that went against that. I mean, obviously, British game developers have had massive influence but not *EVERYTHING* was done first by a British developer. No, Earthworm Jim did not invent licensed products. Yes, one or two groundbreaking games have been developed in the US or Japan by developers not transplanted from England :)

I do recommend the book!

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:48 pm

Bumped this topic, as had some good ones recently. Along with RG #200 which is like a Bookazine in itself and excellent.

Fusion have been producing some real quality productions, along with Fusion magazine, the Fusion and ZZap recent annuals are just superb and up with their usually high standard.

I have in recent times taken to Audio books, I just find them a great way to do other activities, like painting/art while taking in a book. Not game history but I do love ready player one, and Will Wheaton does a great job on that audio book. Steven L Kents Ultimate history is a bit US-centric for many but I love that book for it's novel style over dry encyclopaedia format so have just found that. Future ones will be Masters of Doom, Console Wars- all the ones that are written in the story format which make for a good listen!