Super NES vs Mega Drive

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

And the winner is...

Super Nintendo
52%
Mega Drive
36%
Undecided
5%
Something else
7%

Total votes: 61

thompson9980

Re: Super NES vs Mega Drive

Post by thompson9980 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:56 am

Its the Mega Drive for me by default as its not only better than the SNES, its better than any other electronic device ever invented.

Plus it has the better version of Street Fighter II :o
STUFF WANTED:
Sega 32X
Sega Megadrive, Japanese, mark 1
Sega Megadrive II

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:59 am

thompson9980 wrote:Its the Mega Drive for me by default as its not only better than the SNES, its better than any other electronic device ever invented.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha. :mrgreen:

Personally, I thought that Street Fighter 2 Turbo : Hyper Fighting was the ultimate version of Street Fighter 2, and on the SNES (if you discount the arcade version).

Guitar_Geek

Post by Guitar_Geek » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:06 am

Has to be SNES for me, which still remains to be my all-time favourite console. Mega Drive is a close second though.

I am actually a big fan of the Mega Drive's sound chip. Sometimes I prefer the dirty, scratchy tone to the more muffled, dry sound of the SNES. It has a lot more energy and dynamic.

Still, it has to be SNES overall.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:17 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
thompson9980 wrote:Its the Mega Drive for me by default as its not only better than the SNES, its better than any other electronic device ever invented.

Personally, I thought that Street Fighter 2 Turbo : Hyper Fighting was the ultimate version of Street Fighter 2, and on the SNES (if you discount the arcade version).
Neither of them has a very good version of SF2. 3DO, PCE and arcade are better.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

quantum

Post by quantum » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:20 am

psj3809 wrote:I never got into any battles back in the 90's when it came to SNES vs Megadrive. I was over 18 and not bothered by what machine my friends had. I had a Megadrive (solely due to the Madden games which i loved), a friend had a SNES so i did love playing Mario Land on that.
Had a SNES, but always loved Madden on my friend's MD. Mario, Zelda and SF2* were the games that made the SNES. However, I eventually swapped the SNES for a MD so I could finally play Madden!

psj3809 wrote:In later years i loved downloading various SNES games for my emulator, playing games on my PC/Pocket PC/now iphone is great. I'm neutral , both machines had a lot of great games. If i have to say one i would say the SNES, i play many more SNES games on my iphone than Megadrive.
True. I've even played Madden on the SNES now and it's not that bad. Damn magazines making me think it was crap and needing the MD version! :x

* £75 for SF2 on import! But at the time it was the game.

How about a game screenshot quiz? Amiga, DOS, Megadrive and Commodore 64.

Son_of_Shinobi

Post by Son_of_Shinobi » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:27 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:

Agreed - SNES SF2THF is simply boss. So many hours spent playing that game in my youth

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:34 am

speedlolita wrote:
Neither of them has a very good version of SF2. 3DO, PCE and arcade are better.[/quote]

Arcade i'll agree with - its the definitive version. 3DO i've never played, but its Super Street Fighter II Turbo isn't it? Which is a bit less balanced than Turbo Hyper Fighting. It may have more characters and special moves, and better graphics and sound....but gameplay and balance wise, SFII Turbo Hyper Fighting is my favourite - the SNES and the Arcade had the best versions of this (arcade being the best).

PC Engine one....nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. :)

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:18 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Arcade i'll agree with - its the definitive version. 3DO i've never played, but its Super Street Fighter II Turbo isn't it? Which is a bit less balanced than Turbo Hyper Fighting. It may have more characters and special moves, and better graphics and sound....but gameplay and balance wise, SFII Turbo Hyper Fighting is my favourite - the SNES and the Arcade had the best versions of this (arcade being the best).
I also like the SNES version of Turbo better. Although the best is the (Japanese) Arcade version.

Anyway, SNES is leading currently. Mega Drive wins... ? :P

Concerning graphics and sound - it's not a so clear cut. SNES had better graphics in the sense that it could output more colours and more advanced effects (Mode 7), but MD had games running at a usually higher resolution (similar to Arcade games of the time [320x240] whereas SNES' average resolution was same as NES one [256x224]) and it also had a faster-clocked CPU, which gave it the edge in games with more scrolling backgrounds, sprites, polygons, and such. Also, some games on MD demostrated that the low colour and "scratchy" sound issues could be somewhat overcome in good developer's hands. Some MD games even exhibited Mode 7-like effects done in software mode.

Although both machines were gimped in various aspects to keep the general costs down. For example the SNES was originally supposed to have a 10 MHz Motorola 68000 CPU (same as MD one, but clocked higher) before it was decided to drop it in favour of a cheaper solution (the special cartride enhancement chips compensated for it) and the MD was lacking the hardware scaling effects (as later seen on Mega CD) and had the relatively limited colour palette/output.

But that holds true for basically all consoles... :wink:

And it didn't prevent developers form making some outstanding, even timeless, games for both machines.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:34 am

Sephiroth81 wrote: The larger SNES and Megadrive games could cost £60+. A total rip off.
Maybe. But it's also possible that ROM cartridges actually were that expensive to produce. If you look at Neo-Geo games, they costed nothing less than 200 bucks each. Plus several games had various enhancement chips in them which upped the costs even more. I personally prefer cartridges to optical discs for consoles but it wasn't untill FLASH ROM cartridges came along that larger space cartridges became viable for consoles. After all, the Mega CD games costed considerably less than "vanilla" MD ones. It's simply that Sega messed-up that CD addon and that Nintendo's answer never came along.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:54 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
speedlolita wrote:
Neither of them has a very good version of SF2. 3DO, PCE and arcade are better.

PC Engine one....nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. :)
Super Street Fighter II Turbo / Super Street Fighter II X: Grand Master Challenge is the only way to play Street Fighter 2.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:15 pm

speedlolita wrote:
Super Street Fighter II Turbo / Super Street Fighter II X: Grand Master Challenge is the only way to play Street Fighter 2.
Actually, Hyper SFII (aka Anniversary Edition) is the "pro" version of SFII. :wink:

I'm with those who hate combo-whoring and overpowered specials and prefer the "clean" feel of Hyper Fighting aka Turbo. :wink:

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:43 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
speedlolita wrote:
Actually, Hyper SFII (aka Anniversary Edition) is the "pro" version of SFII. :wink:

I'm with those who hate combo-whoring and overpowered specials and prefer the "clean" feel of Hyper Fighting aka Turbo. :wink:
Not sure what you mean by "Pro" version of SF2, since most pro tournaments in Japan are based around vanilla Super Turbo. Although, they also do occasionally include Hyper SF2. However, I suspect you were joking considering the wink.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:03 pm

Unusual the Snes is winning as according to people here nobody owned them :wink:

I had a Megadrive first with Shinobi, Shadow Dancer, Streets of Rage 1 and 2 and Sonic(I hate Sonic)

Friend invited me over his house as he had Super Metroid and I was blown away.. Still have my Snes with about 100 games and trying to go for a complete collection for it, well a complete scrolling beat em up collection.. To me there's just a lot more games that appeal to me on the Snes the big fighters such as MK , SF2 all versions, Samurai Showdown, Fatal Fury etc looked miles better on the snes and played better imo
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:21 pm

Shinobi wrote:Unusual the Snes is winning as according to people here nobody owned them :wink:
Who on earth said that? What a ridiculous statement to make! :shock:

The Mega Drive is my favourite console of all time and I personally believe it has a much better games library than the SNES, that doesn't mean the SNES doesn't have some great games though - because it does! :D

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:58 pm

Shinobi wrote:Unusual the Snes is winning as according to people here nobody owned them :wink:
Are you thinking of NES? That one was hammered by the SMS in the UK, but SNES was very popular.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.