Home-Computers or Consoles?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

If you had to chose what would be your favorite 8 and 16 bit gaming platform:

Home Computers.
70%
Consoles.
30%

Total votes: 37

Matt_B

Re: Home-Computers or Consoles?

Post by Matt_B » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:52 am

gman72 wrote:Consoles for me every time. PC owners must all drive BMWs. Looking down their noses at console owners with this kind of faux superiority and smug countenance.
Er... we're talking about 8 and 16 bit computers here and how many Spectrum and C64 owners do you think drove a BMW?

If anything it was the rich kids who had the consoles back then; you'd need to be on pretty good pocket money to afford the cartridges at any rate.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:20 am

outdated_gamer wrote:
gman72 wrote:Consoles for me every time. PC owners must all drive BMWs. Looking down their noses at console owners with this kind of faux superiority and smug countenance.
I think you're talking about "PC elitists". :wink:

Look at Steam hardware stats - most have PCs that are worse from the current consoles. Maybe even from last-gen ones as integrated graphics just aren't very good for gaming.
I don't know what any of that actually means nor do I care.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:21 am

Matt_B wrote:
Er... we're talking about 8 and 16 bit computers here and how many Spectrum and C64 owners do you think drove a BMW?

If anything it was the rich kids who had the consoles back then; you'd need to be on pretty good pocket money to afford the cartridges at any rate.
Well if were talking 8 bit then it's computers and for 16 bit it was consoles. For me at any rate.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:51 am

Started off with a VCS , but then it was computers all the way until the death of the 'miggy.

This would in the main have to do with cost. A new cartridge tended to cost £40-£50, whereas a C90 cost about a quid.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:54 am

No option for both?

As a kid I had access to both (my own C16 & Speccy, plus my best mates 2600), so I have equally fond memories of both.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:13 pm

learnedrobb wrote:No option for both?
It was a 'if you had to chose' question, learnedrobb. I know a lot of people used both, as did I :mrgreen:
I think the Megadrive was when I started getting properly into consoles.

The first thing I played were PONG type TV-Games machines, the word 'console' wasn't really used then.
I went from VIC-20 to Spectrum to Atari 800XL to Amstrad 1640 PC, by that time I was mostly playing arcade games on a SEGA Master System, then to the MegaDrive...
Last edited by GarryG on Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:15 pm

Funny, you've just demonstrated exactly the same attitude that you're trying to put down.

People like you make me laugh.

Why have a preference either way? I have a very capable gaming PC and an assortment of consoles.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:24 pm

I wasn't really asking 'PC or consoles' for modern gaming :?
More, what were you most fond of, or played exclusively or mostly, in the 8 & 16 bit era?

But I do think they both have an equally valid and different place in gaming now. Your right, it shouldn't be a competition, or an elitist thing!
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

Son_of_Shinobi

Post by Son_of_Shinobi » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:00 pm

speedlolita wrote:
Funny, you've just demonstrated exactly the same attitude that you're trying to put down.

Why have a preference either way? I have a very capable gaming PC and an assortment of consoles.
^This^

been readin the forum for a while before I started posting, and your attitude towards people making even the slightest dig at the xbone was hilarious - never seen anyone so passionately defend something to the hilt, I actually thought you was a MS employee for a while. Your not, are you? :shock:

ZXSabreman

Post by ZXSabreman » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:04 pm

8-bit was computers for me the Sinclair variety, I did have access to an Atari VCS and a Philips Videopack tho, 16 bit was consoles mainly the Snes then a mixture of both since then but I do prefer consoles these days.
"Time fades even legend..."

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Son_of_Shinobi wrote:
speedlolita wrote:

^This^

been readin the forum for a while before I started posting, and your attitude towards people making even the slightest dig at the xbone was hilarious - never seen anyone so passionately defend something to the hilt, I actually thought you was a MS employee for a while. Your not, are you? :shock:
No, sir, not an employee. Just a passionate guy. If you don't like my posts then you always have the option to not read them. If however you find them, as you put it, hilarious then enjoy. :D

necronom

Post by necronom » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:54 pm

Almost exclusively computers. I had a VCS first, but I soon got a Vic-20, then C64, then Amiga 500 and finally an A1200. I used computers at school as well (PET and BBC), then mini-computers at college and polytechnic.

It was only in the new millennium that I changed to the Playstations, with a bit of PC gaming here and there.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:56 pm

speedlolita wrote:
People like me? Do I detect a bit of faux superiority?
It's ok, speedlolita, I actually didn't read the poll header completely when I posted my rant this morning and thought it was referring to modern gaming but I'm glad my response made you laugh none the less. :D

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:04 pm

People like you, as in, a fanboy.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:10 pm

Welcome to the forum. :lol:
And, really, lets not name call.