Xbone without Kinect!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

sscott

Re: Xbone without Kinect!

Post by sscott » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:40 pm

slacey1070 wrote:The issue with Kinect wasn't so much that it was included, but that it made the console significantly more expensive than its nearest rival, compounded by a lack of killer app or clear understanding of what it gave the user.

It's undoubtedly a good move offering a console without it, although it kind of kills the Kinect surely?
Not sure about that, there is the 5 million or so that already own one and not everyone will be buying the XB1 without a Kinect either.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:05 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
I love my Xbox, and have had no problem keeping occupied.

Forza 5, great game, started getting a little boring but then they added a couple of tracks free and even incorparated them into career mode. even recently added a free update with another free track and 200 more GS to aim for.

Dead rising 3, great game and a lot of fun.

Fifa 14, Fifa is a timesink anyway and it actually plays a lot lot better than the 360 version, and now it has a free world cup updare.

Killer instinct, free of charge and much much better tthan anticipated, free arcade mode upgrade and 2 free extra characters to spice things up a little.

Also enjoying Ghosts, Need for speed rivals, and lego marvel superheroes. out on 360 but so what, its still games to play.

Just downloades Max, and Spartan assault for Free.

Just got MGS for £10, short, but a lot of fun for a tenner.

I have not even bought the likes of Ryse, Titanfall, Wolfenstein, or Watchdogs.

So yeah, I am a little perplexed to this apparent lack of games.

As for Kinect, I never wanted it, still don.t want it, and do not even have it connected. Id MS had done the optional thing in the first place then the Xbox one would have a lot for systems sold.
Some personal opinion here, but here goes.

Dead Rising 3 - I am interested in this but it's also no longer completely exclusive (PC version announced). I'd rather play it on a console though.
Forza 5 - Looks good, but I don't consider a racer to be a system seller (I've also said the same thing about Mario Kart 8 )
Killer Instinct - Have disliked the series for a while and the new version isn't doing anything to change that for me.
FIFA 14 - I'm not into FIFA anyway but even if I was, the versions on other consoles are more than adequate.
CoD, Need For Speed, Lego Marvel - All decent games, but it's hard to justify buying £300+ console for them especially when there's practically identical last gen versions available for a lower RRP.
Watchdogs - multiformat, don't need to buy a new console to experience it.
Wolfenstein - same.
Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes - same
Titanfall - Obviously looks and runs better on the One, but perfectly fine version available on the 360. Same as Half Life 2 on the original Xbox was perfectly fine at a time when everybody was saying it should have only been released on Xbox 360. The almost complete lack of a proper single player element puts me off it a lot anyway.
Ryse - Critically panned and apparently very short, doesn't appeal.

So basically that leaves me to decide whether Dead Rising 3 is a good enough game for me to buy a console for (I can give or take Forza 5).

I'm not trying to p!ss people off. The situation on PS4 is pretty much the same. I think we'll see a couple of great games this Xmas and the situation this time next year will be different, just like the Wii U landscape is different now it has the likes of Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8.

Really surprised there's no major exclusives coming out over the summer (as far as I'm aware) though. :?
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:23 pm

What is all this talk of a " system seller "

Who cares. All it needs is a handfull of games that you are interested in. as long as there are 2-3 games I quite like the look of thats fine to me.

You could wait 2 years for one single game that you would buy a system for, yet it could have around 20 that pique your interest. Is that 1 single game all you are ever going to play, No, you will eventually try out other games that you fancy trying out, so why not get the system and try out those titles.

Same as the Wii U. People are saying They need one single game to get them to buy it. Fine, keep waiting, but in the meantime you could be trying out Mario 3d world, Super mario, Pikmin, Mariokart etc. a nice little library of games.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:33 pm

sscott wrote:
slacey1070 wrote:The issue with Kinect wasn't so much that it was included, but that it made the console significantly more expensive than its nearest rival, compounded by a lack of killer app or clear understanding of what it gave the user.

It's undoubtedly a good move offering a console without it, although it kind of kills the Kinect surely?
Not sure about that, there is the 5 million or so that already own one and not everyone will be buying the XB1 without a Kinect either.
Maybe... and they are still in the other bundles... do any of the current titles use it well?

Will be interesting to see how sales of the "non-Kinect" v bundled xb1 sell over the next 6-12 months...
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:37 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:What is all this talk of a " system seller "

Who cares. All it needs is a handfull of games that you are interested in. as long as there are 2-3 games I quite like the look of thats fine to me.

You could wait 2 years for one single game that you would buy a system for, yet it could have around 20 that pique your interest. Is that 1 single game all you are ever going to play, No, you will eventually try out other games that you fancy trying out, so why not get the system and try out those titles.

Same as the Wii U. People are saying They need one single game to get them to buy it. Fine, keep waiting, but in the meantime you could be trying out Mario 3d world, Super mario, Pikmin, Mariokart etc. a nice little library of games.
The Wii U has a nice library of games - better than XB1 or PS4 in my opinion. Although, I suspect the Wii U will be lagging come this time next year.

Its back to the "how many games do you need?" isn't it? Right now, today, beyond BF4 there's nothing to draw me to either PS4 or XB1, however in a years time I'm sure there will be a list of games I fancy and as development tails off on the 360, that adds interest too.

I'd argue that right now, the PS4 or XB1 don't have a "wow" game that makes the 360/PS3 look out of date. If you look at a wii U, then it looks loads better than a Wii...
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:49 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:What is all this talk of a " system seller "

Trouble is, whilst there might be a couple of games I might like the look of on the xb1/PS4, there are loads more on the current gen systems. There needs to be that great game that shouts "yes, I need that console!"
Halo on the Xbox was a great example of this, Ridge Racer another on the PS1 and then there's WIi Sports.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer