Xbone without Kinect!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Son_of_Shinobi

Re: Xbone without Kinect!

Post by Son_of_Shinobi » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:36 pm

How eva you look at it, must be kinda embarrasing for Microsoft having too back track. They had a vision in which they thought they could dictate certain policies, and lo and behold, once the sales figures started coming in they realised - k, maybe we can't do that after all.

My 360 is a keeper, especially considering most game companys are going to keep making games for it as well as the One.

It would have been interesting to see how a Japanese manufacturer would have reacted in the same situation - don't think they would have reversed certain policies once they had been thought up/implemented, as they don't take losing face very well.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:16 pm

I think the events of the last year have been a bit of a wake up call for Microsoft. They did come into this gen with ideas and policies like Kinect and DRM that were largely unpopular at best and downright derided at worst. They came in from the lofty heights of the 360s success (which, as I understand it, was largely the most successful console in it's generation for most of its life) thinking they could pretty much do anything they wanted and people would lap it up. They were wrong.
They have reversed unpopular decisions, they have dropped prices and they have eaten a big slice of humble pie in the process. Yay... Applause... Victory for the little guy... Whatever... They have been damned both ways. Quite rightly for rolling in full of pride, this Is what were doing you will buy it, and quite wrongly for reversing unpopular decisions. Kinect is good, Kinect is bad... Whatever. At no point has Kinect ever been forced on anyone. It's unplugs from the rear of the console. Don't want? Don't buy.
Now however you have a choice. Good work Microsoft. Xbox One with no Kinect means they have listened to consumers and acted accordingly in a relatively short space of time.
The console has now been out what? Six or seven months and people are taking about games droughts. It's barely halfway through it's first year... There ain't gonna be no vast library for another six months to a year and the same goes for the PS4. Most, not all, of the people moaning about the lack of games don't even own one.
So, what are we left with... well for the majority of us that own the machine we have a nice piece of kit with some cool games, not too many as yet but this baby is here to stay and the games count is only going up. Like Megamixer said you'll all be buying one in a year or two so censored up and cut the horse crud.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:28 pm

gman72 wrote:I think the events of the last year have been a bit of a wake up call for Microsoft. They did come into this gen with ideas and policies like Kinect and DRM that were largely unpopular at best and downright derided at worst. They came in from the lofty heights of the 360s success (which, as I understand it, was largely the most successful console in it's generation for most of its life) thinking they could pretty much do anything they wanted and people would lap it up. They were wrong.
They have reversed unpopular decisions, they have dropped prices and they have eaten a big slice of humble pie in the process. Yay... Applause... Victory for the little guy... Whatever... They have been damned both ways. Quite rightly for rolling in full of pride, this Is what were doing you will buy it, and quite wrongly for reversing unpopular decisions. Kinect is good, Kinect is bad... Whatever. At no point has Kinect ever been forced on anyone. It's unplugs from the rear of the console. Don't want? Don't buy.
Now however you have a choice. Good work Microsoft. Xbox One with no Kinect means they have listened to consumers and acted accordingly in a relatively short space of time.
The console has now been out what? Six or seven months and people are taking about games droughts. It's barely halfway through it's first year... There ain't gonna be no vast library for another six months to a year and the same goes for the PS4. Most, not all, of the people moaning about the lack of games don't even own one.
So, what are we left with... well for the majority of us that own the machine we have a nice piece of kit with some cool games, not too many as yet but this baby is here to stay and the games count is only going up. Like Megamixer said you'll all be buying one in a year or two so censored up and cut the horse crud.
I love my Xbox, and have had no problem keeping occupied.

Forza 5, great game, started getting a little boring but then they added a couple of tracks free and even incorparated them into career mode. even recently added a free update with another free track and 200 more GS to aim for.

Dead rising 3, great game and a lot of fun.

Fifa 14, Fifa is a timesink anyway and it actually plays a lot lot better than the 360 version, and now it has a free world cup updare.

Killer instinct, free of charge and much much better tthan anticipated, free arcade mode upgrade and 2 free extra characters to spice things up a little.

Also enjoying Ghosts, Need for speed rivals, and lego marvel superheroes. out on 360 but so what, its still games to play.

Just downloades Max, and Spartan assault for Free.

Just got MGS for £10, short, but a lot of fun for a tenner.

I have not even bought the likes of Ryse, Titanfall, Wolfenstein, or Watchdogs.

So yeah, I am a little perplexed to this apparent lack of games.

As for Kinect, I never wanted it, still don.t want it, and do not even have it connected. Id MS had done the optional thing in the first place then the Xbox one would have a lot for systems sold.

Son_of_Shinobi

Post by Son_of_Shinobi » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:33 pm

They came in from the lofty heights of the 360s success (which, as I understand it, was largely the most successful console in it's generation for most of its life) thinking they could pretty much do anything they wanted and people would lap it up. They were wrong.
They have reversed unpopular decisions, they have dropped prices and they have eaten a big slice of humble pie in the process
Yes, and their arrognce was unbelievable, sorry, I mean astounding.

They have ownly been chowing down on lorries full of humble pie as they knew that if they didnt, sales for the One would have been very bad indeed.

They had no choice but to reverse some of those policies, as it would have been too damaging had they not. And I dont think their motives for doing so was because "we've listened to consumer feedback".

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:40 pm

What do you think their motives were?
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:47 pm

I think it was due to consumer feedback TBH. it was well known people were put off by Kinect and if sales are slow it is only common sense to renmove something that people said they do not want to try and speed up sales.

The only possible reason I can think of ( and this is only my own personal theory ) is that they are losing ground to Sony in certain territories that the Xbox has not released yet. Now the only reason it has not been released in certain countries is because its taking time to localise the Kinect for different languages. Now rather than take any longer I reckon MS have just decided to release Kinect less Xbox consoles to get them out in those countries as quick as possible .

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:08 pm

I think the PS4 is selling more because it had Sonys marketing genius behind it (as opposed to Microsofts inept series of mistakes) and it is the more powerful machine. It certainly ain't the games. I have less for my PS4 than I do for my One and I'm currently enjoying my One more. But if last generation is anything to go by my favour will fluctuate between Sony, Microsoft an Nintendo as the generation progresses. :D

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:31 pm

gman72 wrote:I think the PS4 is selling more because it had Sonys marketing genius behind it (as opposed to Microsofts inept series of mistakes) and it is the more powerful machine. It certainly ain't the games. I have less for my PS4 than I do for my One and I'm currently enjoying my One more. But if last generation is anything to go by my favour will fluctuate between Sony, Microsoft an Nintendo as the generation progresses. :D

in terms of worldwide sales its got to be helping Sony being able to release in countries where the Xbox is not even released.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:42 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
gman72 wrote:I think the PS4 is selling more because it had Sonys marketing genius behind it (as opposed to Microsofts inept series of mistakes) and it is the more powerful machine. It certainly ain't the games. I have less for my PS4 than I do for my One and I'm currently enjoying my One more. But if last generation is anything to go by my favour will fluctuate between Sony, Microsoft an Nintendo as the generation progresses. :D

in terms of worldwide sales its got to be helping Sony being able to release in countries where the Xbox is not even released.
I'm sure it's playing it's part, Rodimus.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:14 am

ToxieDogg wrote:
Matt_B wrote:Yeah, but at the same time you know what you're going to get with the XB1 and the PS4, based on what's been on offer for the last few generations of both families. So, even if the games aren't quite here yet, there'll still be plenty of people willing to take the plunge with them at least so long as the price is right.

Besides, with E3 coming up, I'm pretty sure that there'll be plenty to talk about in a couple of weeks time.
That's the bit I find strange Matt....the Wii was very popular with families and had tons of games available, but now people aren't buying Wii Us because 'there's no games'. But people are willing to buy something with next to no games now because of stuff they might be able to play next year? :?
That's because the Wii was a "fad". I knew the moment it came out that it was weak, overpriced (250 bucks for a re-packed GameCube? Yeah right.) and forced motion-control to gamers, yet it was a massive success. I remember back in 2008/2009 it had literally next to nothing going for it in terms of games, yet sales were at an all time high. If it wasn't for some class Nintendo's own games (the Mario Galaxy games in particular) and backwards compatability/Virtual Console, it would have been a pretty pointless system for your average gamer.

Thankfully, the fad died down this time and Nintendo's forced to actually make an effort to garner gamer's interest. But it still doesn't change that they are several years too late to the party. The U is the "true" successor to the GameCube, imho.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:00 am

Son_of_Shinobi wrote:
They came in from the lofty heights of the 360s success (which, as I understand it, was largely the most successful console in it's generation for most of its life) thinking they could pretty much do anything they wanted and people would lap it up. They were wrong.
They have reversed unpopular decisions, they have dropped prices and they have eaten a big slice of humble pie in the process
Yes, and their arrognce was unbelievable, sorry, I mean astounding.

They have ownly been chowing down on lorries full of humble pie as they knew that if they didnt, sales for the One would have been very bad indeed.

They had no choice but to reverse some of those policies, as it would have been too damaging had they not. And I dont think their motives for doing so was because "we've listened to consumer feedback".
Indeed, as is usually the case when a company has a rich vein of success, the risk is that it becomes arrogant and believes the consumer will suck up whatever it puts on the table. Microsoft certainly aren't the only company to have fallen into the same behaviour.

Yes, they listened to consumer feedback, but then they had little choice in the matter. If it was up to the execs at Microsoft, you'd still have to divvy up £429 with Kinnect and all the DRM/online gubbins that went with it. Of course, Microsoft are damned if they do and damned if they don't now but that is the situation of their own making. Whether "we all buy one in a couple of years" is up for debate personally. Nothing is certain, even buying an xb1 when there are other alternatives out there or coming soon eg PC, Steam Consoles, PS4.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:44 am

Yeah, true enough.
I think when megamixer made that quote and I quoted him we meant the new gen of consoles rather that Xbox One specifically although it may not read like that. Other next gen consoles are available etc etc etc
It's funny how the one we are almost always discussing is the Xbox One :lol:

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:38 am

gman72 wrote:Yeah, true enough.
I think when megamixer made that quote and I quoted him we meant the new gen of consoles rather that Xbox One specifically although it may not read like that. Other next gen consoles are available etc etc etc
It's funny how the one we are almost always discussing is the Xbox One :lol:
I think we tend to discuss a particular format when then a console manufacturer makes a few missteps. Same thing has happened with Nintendo' & its WiiU console but for different reasons. It will only take somebody to hack the PSN network again and then we can aim our anger or vitriol at Sony instead.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:33 am

The issue with Kinect wasn't so much that it was included, but that it made the console significantly more expensive than its nearest rival, compounded by a lack of killer app or clear understanding of what it gave the user.

It's undoubtedly a good move offering a console without it, although it kind of kills the Kinect surely?
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:45 am

slacey1070 wrote:The issue with Kinect wasn't so much that it was included, but that it made the console significantly more expensive than its nearest rival, compounded by a lack of killer app or clear understanding of what it gave the user.

It's undoubtedly a good move offering a console without it, although it kind of kills the Kinect surely?
I would say so mate, but it only takes one killer app to change all that. However, the chances of that happening now are pretty slim for me.