Mario Kart 8

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

kelp7

Re: Mario Kart 8

Post by kelp7 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:43 am

Mootown wrote:
SonicTheHedgehog wrote:In 2 player mode can 1 have the TV screen whilst the other has the gamepad screen???
Nope!
This is ridiculous. You can do this on the Sonic All-Stars game. The vertical split screen is taking quite some getting used to, not a big fan of that. But that's just a minor thing, as are most of the problems I have with MK8. It's an amazingly awesome game overall. I'm finding it a lot more difficult so far than the Wii one but then that's because I got used to using the 'Automatic' drift setting in the Wii version (yeah, laugh it up but the Wii version was my first exposure to MK). So now I've got to drive like a re@l man and use proper drift. I'm sure i'll get used to it eventually. Everything else is spot on. The only course issue I have with it is that the new rainbow road doesn't really feel that much like a rainbow road, just a big space station. But also the Mario Kart 7 rainbow road seems to be better than this one. Online play is great fun, haven't dug into what these tournaments are yet.
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:58 pm

ivortheinjun wrote:dropping the ability to drag a second item feels like a backwards step
I agree, dropping the ability to hold a second item was an incredibly stupid move, almost every online race is now down to pure luck, the amount of times that I get hit on the finish line (or hit some one else) is incredible! there is an element of skill involved on the wii & 3ds versions, now there's not just the blue shell you've gotta deal with if your in 1st, there's also the red, the green, the boomerang, the plant...

It's still a great game, just flawed!
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:39 pm

TheNewMonkey wrote:
ivortheinjun wrote:dropping the ability to drag a second item feels like a backwards step
I agree, dropping the ability to hold a second item was an incredibly stupid move, almost every online race is now down to pure luck, the amount of times that I get hit on the finish line (or hit some one else) is incredible!
Doesn't it go both ways though? I mean yes it's always frustrating when you get shelled approaching the finishing line but do any of us have any sympathy when we do it to someone else? You could equally say that making it harder for first place to protect themself gives the rest hope. You could start a race with a string of back luck and somebody could capitaise and establish a decent lead, and you can't touch them unless you get a blue shell because they're dragging a banana behind them.

As it goes both ways I don't really mind either way when that ability stayed in the game or not, I am a bit surprised they removed it though, would be interested to know why.

I find games like Mario Kart and Mario Party aren't games I play really expecting to win, I've learned to accept the fun really is in the taking part, you're efforts aren't always fairly rewarded and at times it feels downright cruel but victory when it happens tastes all the sweeter for it.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:04 pm

pratty wrote:
TheNewMonkey wrote:
I agree, dropping the ability to hold a second item was an incredibly stupid move, almost every online race is now down to pure luck, the amount of times that I get hit on the finish line (or hit some one else) is incredible!
Doesn't it go both ways though? I mean yes it's always frustrating when you get shelled approaching the finishing line but do any of us have any sympathy when we do it to someone else? You could equally say that making it harder for first place to protect themself gives the rest hope. You could start a race with a string of back luck and somebody could capitaise and establish a decent lead, and you can't touch them unless you get a blue shell because they're dragging a banana behind them.

As it goes both ways I don't really mind either way when that ability stayed in the game or not, I am a bit surprised they removed it though, would be interested to know why.

I find games like Mario Kart and Mario Party aren't games I play really expecting to win, I've learned to accept the fun really is in the taking part, you're efforts aren't always fairly rewarded and at times it feels downright cruel but victory when it happens tastes all the sweeter for it.
I think the best racer should win, MK8 doesn't allow that a lot of the time. Taking part being fun or not, it was easy to fix and continues to be an unnecessary frustration.

crusto

Post by crusto » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:09 pm

They should just introduce a "pure" mode for serious racers where skill and not shells win races. Just offer up the odd speed boost here and there as a reward for excellent driving..

Eat your nans pants

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:13 pm

crusto wrote:They should just introduce a "pure" mode for serious racers where skill and not shells win races. Just offer up the odd speed boost here and there as a reward for excellent driving..
... And so easy to implement. But you know they won't.

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:27 pm

Be interesting to see how Amiibo will work with this game. Perhaps some character unlocks or something to do with the items, I dunno.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:08 pm

sscott wrote:
pratty wrote:
TheNewMonkey wrote: I agree, dropping the ability to hold a second item was an incredibly stupid move, almost every online race is now down to pure luck, the amount of times that I get hit on the finish line (or hit some one else) is incredible!

I think the best racer should win, MK8 doesn't allow that a lot of the time. Taking part being fun or not, it was easy to fix and continues to be an unnecessary frustration.
Well now we're talking about Blue Shells. Trailing an item behind you never stopped these (unless it does in MK7 which I haven't played much of).

I think just because you're in the lead at any given moment doesn't necessarily mean you're the best pure player and deserve to win. Anybody has the right to shoot you in the back at any time, just as you have to right to shoot them back and retake the lead. That's how mario Kart works, otherwise there would be a lot less overtaking and would be relatively boring.

Taking away the ability to defend yourself a bit better doesn't necessarily mean the best player can't win, it just means it's harder to protect your position, for everybody, the challenger behind you faces the same problem. By it's very nature being first is always difficult to protect anyway as everybody is beind you and gunning for you, and it's easier to shoot forwards than backwards, the best weapon you have is to strategicly leave banana skins. It only seems unfair when you're in the lead, but maybe you wouldn't have been in the lead if you didn't do to someone else exactly what you're complaing about happening to you, how often does somebody establish the lead without using an item on anybody?

Blue shells are another matter though as they are designed specifically to keep things tight until the end.

Nautical Rudie

Post by Nautical Rudie » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:12 am

pratty wrote: Well now we're talking about Blue Shells. Trailing an item behind you never stopped these (unless it does in MK7 which I haven't played much of).

I think just because you're in the lead at any given moment doesn't necessarily mean you're the best pure player and deserve to win. Anybody has the right to shoot you in the back at any time, just as you have to right to shoot them back and retake the lead. That's how mario Kart works, otherwise there would be a lot less overtaking and would be relatively boring.

Taking away the ability to defend yourself a bit better doesn't necessarily mean the best player can't win, it just means it's harder to protect your position, for everybody, the challenger behind you faces the same problem. By it's very nature being first is always difficult to protect anyway as everybody is beind you and gunning for you, and it's easier to shoot forwards than backwards, the best weapon you have is to strategicly leave banana skins. It only seems unfair when you're in the lead, but maybe you wouldn't have been in the lead if you didn't do to someone else exactly what you're complaing about happening to you, how often does somebody establish the lead without using an item on anybody?

Blue shells are another matter though as they are designed specifically to keep things tight until the end.

This one of the reasons I love MK Super Circuit so much. If you're a skilled race you can outrun any shell if you are fast enough, including blue shells. Added to that there were a ton of shortcuts to find in most circuits, most of which took a lot of skill and gonads to attempt when you're in the middle of a close multiplayer race. In MK8 online you can usually win if you get out in front early, cos due to the lack of blue shells you're unlikely to get shelled much as everyone from 3rd downwards just smashes the hell out of 2nd place.
3DS Friend Code: 0130-1873-6926. Give me a shout if you add me!

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:28 pm

For those who still care, Wii U hardware slaes fell in MK8s 2nd week by 42% to 7,062 units, which is still almost 6,000 units more than it sold in the week before MK8s release. The game itself has now sold 86,643 copies in the UK.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:09 pm

Well, Nintendo finally caved in. Mario Kart 8 is getting Paid DLC, featuring characters and even new tracks from non-Mario games.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/26/607182 ... ossing-dlc
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:30 pm

Oh how things change, Nintendo where anti paid DLC

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:06 am

DPrinny wrote:Oh how things change, Nintendo where anti paid DLC
Well they've been doing it for a while on the 3DS anyway but I agree with the sentiment.

People will buy this anyway - guaranteed. Could still do with being a little bit cheaper though I reckon.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:25 am

They're also doing preorders right now for the packs, including an £11 bundle for both. Buying both also gets you different coloured Yoshis and Shy Guys to play as well.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:00 am

I'm not a fan of DLC, but in fairness a mate of mine who has the game has said to me on several occasions he wanted more characters and more tracks. :|

Seems they're striking while the iron is hot with this, but I feel like, at least personally, I would be more welcoming say in a couple of years, once the game has been played to death. £11 to quid to spice up an old game again with new characters and tracks seems far more agreeable then, though of course I suppose the content will still be available for download in a couple of years if they release it now, so maybe might as well have it now.