Mario Kart 8

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RetroBob

Mario Kart 8

Post by RetroBob » Fri May 30, 2014 10:47 am

So it's finally with us... I see people playing it although mine is still in the envelope waiting for me to finish work (quick tea break now!), go to the gym and eat.

How is everyone getting on so far? I'd imagine there are probably enough of us to get a few online races together (apparently it has lobby chat for friends groups), so get some invites sent out if you haven't already...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Son_of_Shinobi

Re: Mario Kart 8

Post by Son_of_Shinobi » Fri May 30, 2014 11:07 am

Can't wait to see rainbow road course

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri May 30, 2014 2:50 pm

Played it today on on a store set-up, it's decent enough I suppose but it's clearly trying (and failing to be) Sonic Racing Transformed. A long way from being the game to save the Wii U.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri May 30, 2014 2:59 pm

The Laird wrote:Played it today on on a store set-up, it's decent enough I suppose but it's clearly trying (and failing to be) Sonic Racing Transformed. A long way from being the game to save the Wii U.
Actully, Mario kart had transforming karts before Sonic transformed,
(Not sure if a Crash racing game did)
Sonic did it better

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri May 30, 2014 3:15 pm

Going pretty well so far. Must restrict myself post mass-posting videos to Youtube even if it takes awhile to upload a full min clip... XD
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri May 30, 2014 3:22 pm

Picking it up tomorrow for my son (and me!)

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri May 30, 2014 3:55 pm

DPrinny wrote:
The Laird wrote:Played it today on on a store set-up, it's decent enough I suppose but it's clearly trying (and failing to be) Sonic Racing Transformed. A long way from being the game to save the Wii U.
Actully, Mario kart had transforming karts before Sonic transformed,
(Not sure if a Crash racing game did)
Sonic did it better
And? I never said it didn't. You are right about the last bit though.

ulala

Post by ulala » Fri May 30, 2014 4:01 pm

A long way?

It seems to be selling consoles in every other forum I read, and great reviews/ recommendations from everyone who has played the retail versions.

Perhaps it's just you?

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri May 30, 2014 4:39 pm

ulala wrote:
A long way?

It seems to be selling consoles in every other forum I read, and great reviews/ recommendations from everyone who has played the retail versions.

Perhaps it's just you?

I actually can't remeber the last time everyone on this forum ( plus others ) were all taliking about a new release. Not just talking about it, but the sheer number of members that have went and bought it.

Everyone seems to like it, rightly so because IMO its brilliant.

Nintendo need to use this as a springboard. Why they just do not go all out and release a Zelda or Mario complete collection baffles me.

binaryRooster

Post by binaryRooster » Fri May 30, 2014 5:03 pm

I've ordered a Wii U and Mario Kart 8 was the main reason. It's funny as i watched videos of Titanfall, Watchdogs, Killzone etc and they all look good, but MK8 was the one game that made me think "i just want to be sat at home playing this".

killbot

Post by killbot » Fri May 30, 2014 6:33 pm

In what way is it trying to be Transformed?

Does it have the mission-centric single player structure of Transformed? No. Does it have transforming karts? Yes, but as Prinny points out those were introduced in MK7, some time before Transformed was released. Do they both have similar handling and controls? Yes, but that's because Transformed cribbed a lot of that stuff from Mario Kart, not the other way around.

It's all personal preference at the end of the day but insinuating that Nintendo are stealing ideas from Sega when there's clearly far more traffic going the other way just seems daft. The All-Stars games want to be Mario Kart so badly it hurts, and in fairness they do a better impression of it than most other MK clones over the years. At the end of the day Transformed and MK8 are both great, it's just a matter of personal taste as to which one people will like best, I would personally say MK shades it but I like both.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri May 30, 2014 6:40 pm

I was referring to the overall style/look of the game, Sonic Transformed looked very very different to the Mario Kart games, far cooler and stylised and less cutesy. Mario Kart 8 seems to be going for that look too, trying to appear much cooler.

Also referring to some previous comments, I am obviously in A LOT of gaming groups on Facebook and forums and stuff and I am actually very surprised at the amount of Mario Kart 8 chatter, I was expecting floods of it and just haven't seen that. Everyone I seem to see going on about it is already a die hard Nintendo fan and that, I believe, is Nintendo's biggest problem right now.

killbot

Post by killbot » Fri May 30, 2014 6:43 pm

The Laird wrote:I was referring to the overall style/look of the game, Sonic Transformed looked very very different to the Mario Kart games, far cooler and stylised and less cutesy. Mario Kart 8 seems to be going for that look too, trying to appear much cooler.
Really? On one track you're racing around a mountain made of sweets while being cheered on by Toads made out of gingerbread! I can't see that getting many cool points...

It does have a slightly different look to previous MK games, and I suppose there are one or two levels that visually have a bit of a look of Transformed about them, I'll give you that.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Fri May 30, 2014 6:47 pm

It does look really good fun, but I'm afraid it's still not enough to make me want to buy the console

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri May 30, 2014 7:05 pm

Mario Kart is Mario Kart. Just hope my son enjoys it when I buy it tomorrow morning, for me, I bet me and my son enjoy this game together as much as any other and I bloody hate the Wii U in general.