Swearing in games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:55 pm

I played this game on Amiga - a bit like Elevator Action.I opened a door and this guy told me to "F*ck Off!" I was really suprised!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Utini

Post by Utini » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:30 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:I played this game on Amiga - a bit like Elevator Action.I opened a door and this guy told me to "F*ck Off!" I was really suprised!
Exactly the same thing happend to me today - for real! There I was at my local Sainsbury's, shopping trolley filled with the week's groceries. I press the "call" button, and after a short delay the elevator descends and the doors open for me to be greeted by some chav with the words "F*ck off you Polish w4nk3r!".

An old bloke who was also waiting for the lift immediately chimed in "You have some f*cking respect to visitors to our country, you foul mouthed f*ck3r!", the chav then ran off doing that stupid star jump leapy-arms and fingers pointed heaven-wards thing chavs do.

The old bloke then spent the journey up to the car park telling me how it was a disgrace when visitors to Britain, like me, had to put up with that kind of abuse.

And I'm not even bloody Polish!
Hey, Sweden!
They're not Swedish Mac, they're Norwegian!

MRMIdAS

Post by MRMIdAS » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:40 pm

Swearing makes a game "mature" apparently.....

Take san andreas, quality game, just could've done without everyone swaring like wounded sailors

Cabal

Post by Cabal » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:01 am

I think it was Command & Conquer that introduced me to whole new level of gamming...

"Show no mercy Commander! DESTROY THE BASTARD!"

:shock:

and, in Blade Runner as well...

"Shut it censored-BERG! I'm asking the questions here."

...which was damn funny. :D

Cabal

Post by Cabal » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:03 am

OMG - I GOT CENSORED!!!

Does that mean I will now become controversial and famous? :D

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:26 am

MRMIdAS wrote:Swearing makes a game "mature" apparently.....

Take san andreas, quality game, just could've done without everyone swaring like wounded sailors
I'd rather increase the swearing and drop the (c)rap. Swearing is the lesser of the two evils. Come to think of it, increase the body count and drop the (c)rap.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:47 am

I love the way some people 'may' be upset with the swearing but on the other hand dont say a word about clubbing some jogger with a baseball bat or mowing down people with an UZI in a game !

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:54 am

But swearing is real because you can hear it, whereas the violence in simulated.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:02 am

psj3809 wrote:I love the way some people 'may' be upset with the swearing but on the other hand dont say a word about clubbing some jogger with a baseball bat or mowing down people with an UZI in a game !
Same of course as getting upset about PG rated sexy ads in RG but not giving a toss about the piles of incredibly disturbingly violent games covered within :)
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

DrBlue

Post by DrBlue » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:38 pm

I have to admit, i think it is big and it is clever...

...and smoking makes me more cool!!

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:17 pm

As AP used to say "Remember kids, swearing isn't big, hard or clever. But we're all 3 so that's ok".

MRMIdAS

Post by MRMIdAS » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:05 am

psj3809 wrote:I love the way some people 'may' be upset with the swearing but on the other hand dont say a word about clubbing some jogger with a baseball bat or mowing down people with an UZI in a game !
With GTA it's a tad different though, lots of the missions CAN be done without violence, and i'm not against swearing pre se, it's just when i'm trying to show my younger cousin some cool insane stunts, i'd prefer it if the game didn't call me a "stupid motherf**king n**ger"

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:45 am

How olds your cousin ? So many young kids seem to know more swear words than me. I think sometimes we wrap them up in cotton wool too much though (not sure how old your cousin is) but kids started really swearing in senior school, in junior school it was just childish insults including the classic at the time 'joey' insult.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:38 am

MRMIdAS wrote:
With GTA it's a tad different though, lots of the missions CAN be done without violence, and i'm not against swearing pre se, it's just when i'm trying to show my younger cousin some cool insane stunts, i'd prefer it if the game didn't call me a "stupid motherf**king n**ger"
Then maybe you shouldn't be showing your cousin an 18 rated game?

Nightbreed

Post by Nightbreed » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:07 am

XIII is a great game that uses swearing very infrequently but to good effect. Swearing happens in all my games when im playing crap. :P
Bring back Thingy and Rockford!!! Zzap 64 liberation front!!! :):):)