Best Game Soundtracks

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ArchaicKoala

Re: Best Game Soundtracks

Post by ArchaicKoala » Thu May 22, 2014 10:16 am

The Zelda series as a whole has a fantastic soundtrack.
Goldeneye - N64 - The music works perfect, the second you hear that guitar intro to the Dam level it gets you pumped
Castlevania SOTN - I don't need to say anything about this, everyone that has played it falls in love with the soundtrack
Outrun - Magical Sound Shower... enough said

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Thu May 22, 2014 10:41 am

Probably not the best but ones that stick in my memory

Master of Magic - C64
Black Lamp - ST
Heroes of Karn - C64 (probably the first adventure I played with music in it)
Xenon 2 - ST
Forbidden Forest - C64 (Maybe not a soundtrack but superb atmospheric music at least)

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Fri May 23, 2014 6:59 am

Best soundtracks? Interesting looking it as an overall product rather than as individual tracks...

For that reason I'd have to say:

Proteus - the game is very niche, but regardless of whether you like it or not it's difficult to deny that the soundtrack really adds to the sense of place. Its use of music is very, very clever.

Journey - as above. Not a huge fan of the game, but the soundtrack is very effective.

Final Fantasy VII - a suitably epic soundtrack for a suitably epic game. The emotional music during THAT scene at the end of disk 1 really adds to the sadness of it all, and the use of sound to heighten the intensity, terror or even the joy in what you're doing is second to none.

Ocarina of Time - a game I think is very overrated, but much like Final Fantasy VII the music really adds to what's going on. And I challenge you not to get goosebumps the first time you step onto Hyrule field. The music helps make this open, spralling world feel enormous.

Fallout 3 - When you're not listening to the radio the Capital Wasteland feels empty, harsh and terrifying. But when it's on? Well, it's like a companion - perhaps your only companion depending on how you choose to play the game. It turns the horror movie-esque nature of your surroundings into something fun, perhaps even whimsical at times.

The Secret of Monkey Island - simply put, the music is perfect for the setting and game. I almost wrote 'more like a movie soundtrack' here before I realised that's just not true. It's nothing like a movie soundtrack, and that's what makes it so good. It's the perfect soundtrack for a story-orientated game.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles - suitably 90s, fast-paced and dramatic. It fits the character of Sonic much better than the kind of tunes Sonic Team use now. Mario music all feels as though it links together game to game. Sonic doesn't any more, and that's one of the many faults of modern Sonic games.

Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow - it can't be easy to create iconic music on such a limited machine, but that's exactly what the developers did here. So the games definitely deserve a mention.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri May 23, 2014 7:20 am

look at it sideways wrote:Final Fantasy VII - a suitably epic soundtrack for a suitably epic game. The emotional music during THAT scene at the end of disk 1 really adds to the sadness of it all,
I assume you're referring to the music used for the Jenova battle? That got me too.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Fri May 23, 2014 7:24 am

Megamixer wrote:
look at it sideways wrote:Final Fantasy VII - a suitably epic soundtrack for a suitably epic game. The emotional music during THAT scene at the end of disk 1 really adds to the sadness of it all,
I assume you're referring to the music used for the Jenova battle? That got me too.
Yup - the very tune. The fact it's used for the battle too really adds to everything. I'm not sure I remember a game doing something like that (carrying over THAT kind of music into a battle) before FFVII.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri May 23, 2014 7:53 am

This thread needs more SID goodness. All on C64:

The Sacred Armour of Antiriad
Armageddon Man
Ghouls n Ghosts
Sanxion
Hawkeye
Parallax
Wizball
Knucklebusters
Master of Magic
Mutants
Delta
Rambo
Commando
Trap (esp the hidden demo)
Firefly
Myth
Stormlord
Warhawk

And of course...

Ocean Loaders
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri May 23, 2014 10:38 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:This thread needs more SID goodness. All on C64:

The Sacred Armour of Antiriad
Armageddon Man
Ghouls n Ghosts
Sanxion
Hawkeye
Parallax
Wizball
Knucklebusters
Master of Magic
Mutants
Delta
Rambo
Commando
Trap (esp the hidden demo)
Firefly
Myth
Stormlord
Warhawk

And of course...

Ocean Loaders
They're all class tunes, mate. I put a few SIDs in my list but there isnt many on the thread. I had a listen to Trap Demo on the way to work this morning on the SID PLAYER app on my iphone... total class. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Fri May 23, 2014 11:14 am

gman72 wrote: They're all class tunes, mate. I put a few SIDs in my list but there isnt many on the thread. I had a listen to Trap Demo on the way to work this morning on the SID PLAYER app on my iphone... total class. :D
I've got a sid player app on my android, called 'sid player' by Jesper Hansen. I love listening to sid tunes with my buds in.
Scott me up beamie!

skodathegreat

Post by skodathegreat » Wed May 28, 2014 5:15 pm

A few that instantly spring to mind:
Cannon Fodder on the Amiga
Zelda Series
Sonic Series, with the Master System version of Sonic (1) being my highlight.
Civilization series, Civ 5 music is as epic as you get!

jimmyjimjim

Post by jimmyjimjim » Wed May 28, 2014 6:26 pm

One game for me stands out - Golvellius for the Sega Master System.

Plus the Mega-CD had some loads of games with fantastic soundtracks.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed May 28, 2014 6:29 pm

loads from the awesome C64

Last Ninja
Wizball
Parallax
Rambo
Ocean Loaders
Delta

Out Run arcade was brilliant too

GTA Vice City on the PS2

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Wed May 28, 2014 6:40 pm

This isn't really a fair question. I have a boatload of old C= 64 favourites, but you can't really compare them to something like Timesplitters 2 or the clever radio stations of GTA.
It's not the same thing.

Biggest impact ever: Monty on the run. SID of course.

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Wed May 28, 2014 7:19 pm

Created for and pushing the humble Spectrum to its limit, this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DODxFqjbXX8
Same for this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq4Uq6Ae4tc
And for the C64, the crème de la crème has to be this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93nIljXpqUY It's a brilliant reworking of Charles Williams' Devil's Gallop which was used to fantastic effect in censored Barton - Special Agent.
This, from the arcade (and, indeed, one of if not the very best gaming tracks ever): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzsqx5uXmpA
And this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_Tam9lv1KQ is a quality reworking of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y43FCDxu0QI

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Thu May 29, 2014 4:16 am

NorthWay wrote:This isn't really a fair question. I have a boatload of old C= 64 favourites, but you can't really compare them to something like Timesplitters 2 or the clever radio stations of GTA.
It's not the same thing.

Biggest impact ever: Monty on the run. SID of course.
If you want to put the old music next to the new, think of it like comparing Mozart with Buddy Holly. Both produced great music. Different styles completely, but good music nonetheless!
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Thu May 29, 2014 4:26 am

SuperMarioLand
GTA:Vice City
Final Fantasy VII
Vandal Hearts

instantly spring to mind...but there are sooooo many fabulous soundtracks, especially amongst the RPG's.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)