one reason not to invest in xbox one or ps4

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RodimusPrime

Re: one reason not to invest in xbox one or ps4

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:42 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:My comment was mainly aimed at the above comment that higher poly counts don't benefit cartoony games which is simply untrue. Yea, there's more to graphics than poly counts, still, to have more curved objects never did hurt anyone. :wink:

No, he is just saying that its less intensive power wise to produce cartoony type graphics. therefore there is sometimes not as big a difference between generations as graphic intensive realistic games.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:46 pm

Quality 3d cartoon graphics on consoles have been with us for ages. Saying they can be higher resolution on more powerful machines is rather stating the obvious.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:38 pm

Back on topic....

After much deliberation, I'm not going to buy either console at present. There's nothing that really screams out at me being as a "must have". It's all a bit shinier than before, which is fine, but when I've got pile of shame to play though on my 360, dropping the best part of £300 on a new console just doesn't seem worth it.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:56 pm

Nemesis wrote:Back on topic....

After much deliberation, I'm not going to buy either console at present. There's nothing that really screams out at me being as a "must have". It's all a bit shinier than before, which is fine, but when I've got pile of shame to play though on my 360, dropping the best part of £300 on a new console just doesn't seem worth it.
yes, that sums up how I feel to be honest. I have a 360 and a wii u - both of which I have many games I've yet to enjoy. Buying another console and stack of games just doesn't seem a good use of money. Plus I'm really enjoying the 3ds at the moment.

However, I'm sure I'll get one at some point - when a game that really grabs me shows up. A Skyrim 2 or a Bad Company 3 would probably do it.

Although, I haven't ruled out a gaming PC instead - all 3 have similar games and I can use the PC for other things too - so might be a wiser purchased.

But wait and see is the order of the day.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:13 pm

Derailing slightly again. Non uniform rational B-splines are not polygons. They don't really have a direct comparison, though they can be used as a basis to create polys.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

crusto

Post by crusto » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:57 pm

The Laird wrote:The bottom one probably looks better, yet another great example of why the original Xbox isn't retro.
Is that a fact :lol:

Eat your nans pants

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:20 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Derailing slightly again. Non uniform rational B-splines are not polygons. They don't really have a direct comparison, though they can be used as a basis to create polys.
Does it make the piccys look good? I bet it does. I approve if it does. More splines. Pour on the splines. Like it was gravy.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:24 pm

I'll take a large portion of spleens please
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:50 am

Nurbs are good because they allow complex curved shapes to be described in a relatively simple fashion, and most 3D modelling tools use them for that reason.

However, GPUs still work in terms of straight lines and flat polygons, so games have to convert between the two when rendering graphics. As such, more polygons means more accurate rendering, and that's why games are now able to do with realistic graphics what they could previously only manage with cartoon styles a couple of decades ago. That said, cartoons don't tend to look much better for it, although I suppose Mario gets an animated moustache these days.

the1980gamer

Post by the1980gamer » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:13 am

I will be looking at getting a steam machine at some point.
Ive always been a console gamer but I go where the games are and there is loads of games on pc/steam that don't come out on console and that's not to mention how many really good free to play games on steam alone.

I have the xbox 360, Xbox one, ps3( and soon a ps4) and a steam machine would compete all the platforms I want so depending on price I will be getting one of these as well.
check out my youtube channel at, http://www.youtube.com/user/the1980gamer