one reason not to invest in xbox one or ps4

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

stayAwhile

one reason not to invest in xbox one or ps4

Post by stayAwhile » Wed May 14, 2014 12:17 am

the steam machine is on its way and to be fair yes theres a cheaper xbox one due but can that compete with an upgradeable console that lets you play all your steam games on your tv?
This guy are sick

Antiriad2097

Re: one reason not to invest in xbox one or ps4

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed May 14, 2014 1:18 am

stayAwhile wrote:an upgradeable console that lets you play all your steam games on your tv?
I have that already, its called a PC.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Misery

Post by Misery » Wed May 14, 2014 1:29 am

Same.

It's a bit interesting, conceptually, but... yeah, I dont see a use for it myself. A good PC already has access to literally every thing there is about Steam, but then can also be used to do about a billion other non-Steam things.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed May 14, 2014 1:36 am

Yes, an interesting concept...but is it redundant?

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Wed May 14, 2014 3:04 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
stayAwhile wrote:an upgradeable console that lets you play all your steam games on your tv?
I have that already, its called a PC.
I find connecting a PC to a TV a bit weird and surely must add to the clutter underneath your television. Personally, I'm looking forward to hearing more about the Steam machines before I make up my mind about the "new" gen.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed May 14, 2014 3:20 am

A steam box is not something that would make me not want a PS4/Xbox One TBH. I know a lot of people love the idea but I would still prefer one of the consoles.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Wed May 14, 2014 4:33 am

The kind of person who may buy one will generally be more interested in PC gaming than console gaming in general. Just buy a PC which has already been said as it will do a lot more. Unless they have the balls to make the unit the only way to access steam. Which won't happen in a million years.

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Wed May 14, 2014 4:56 am

I cant see steam machines taking off anytime soon, I don't think MS, Nintendo & Sony have got anything to worry about here
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Wed May 14, 2014 5:53 am

If it's as modular and easy to upgrade as promised, I'd be very tempted. I don't have room for a desktop PC, and I prefer laptop's for my non-gaming stuff as I need their mobility; but laptops are of course pretty much non-upgradable so not suited for committed gaming.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Wed May 14, 2014 6:03 am

a decent gaming pc is expensive takes up lots of space rmust run windows 7 for newer games hopefully steam machine will be cheaper and compact and it runs a steam dedicated OS
This guy are sick

merman

Post by merman » Wed May 14, 2014 6:12 am

che_don_john wrote:If it's as modular and easy to upgrade as promised, I'd be very tempted. I don't have room for a desktop PC, and I prefer laptop's for my non-gaming stuff as I need their mobility; but laptops are of course pretty much non-upgradable so not suited for committed gaming.
I like the modular approach, allowing users to upgrade. However, the multiple designs and companies approach reminds me too much of MSX and 3DO, neither of which ended well...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Wed May 14, 2014 8:41 am

merman wrote:
che_don_john wrote:If it's as modular and easy to upgrade as promised, I'd be very tempted. I don't have room for a desktop PC, and I prefer laptop's for my non-gaming stuff as I need their mobility; but laptops are of course pretty much non-upgradable so not suited for committed gaming.
I like the modular approach, allowing users to upgrade. However, the multiple designs and companies approach reminds me too much of MSX and 3DO, neither of which ended well...
But on the same note IMB pcs soon stopped being IMB pcs and just pcs so maybe this will be a perfect pc console hybrid
This guy are sick

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Wed May 14, 2014 9:31 am

TheNewMonkey wrote:I cant see steam machines taking off anytime soon, I don't think MS, Nintendo & Sony have got anything to worry about here
Valve won't go for an all-out assault on the Console makers, that's not their way.
Instead they will release their new OS for the Steam machines (which they are letting other companies take the financial risk with) and slowly work their way into the market.
When the Steam PCs release they will only make up a very small part of the market but 5 or 6 years down the line I think they will be a major player.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Wed May 14, 2014 9:49 am

I'm kinda skeptical about the "Steam Box" too. A lot was said and rumoured about it but nothing concrete outside of that odd shaped controller (might be good though) and a variety of different boxes, from those that fit into a palm of hand with absurd price tags (Piston's variant) to more console-like ones ("I Buy Power") which promise better capabilities than the new consoles. But neither was really convincing. I think Valve might be facing issues positioning the device on the market. Most PC gamers already are satisfied with their systems and don't want to get a new console-like system and console gamers probably aren't that interested into PC experiences to buy a wholly new system for them either. So it kinda falls in a certain niche that might not be the kind of broad audience Valve want to get. Perhaps it would be better if they sticked to making software for a while still, and get the hardware endavours going when it really seems to be a good time to do so. History tells us many a hardware maker have fallen, even if they were visionaries, innovators and had a respected name.

killbot

Post by killbot » Wed May 14, 2014 10:23 am

I'm not sure about this. I don't know who the target audience is - people who use Steam heavily tend to be real PC-heads who aren't really looking for a console, while the whole thing is a bit too niche to tempt Xbox, PS or Nintendo fans away from their current consoles. The controller... well, people who have used it seem to think its okay, but putting the face buttons in the centre of the pad (where the start and select buttons usually live) seems utterly bizarre, I can't possibly imagine how that could feel intuitive. The fact that it's upgradeable is good but then you're faced with the problem of different streams of users - will all games work with all Steam Machines, or will I have to buy a particular combination of upgrade modules to make certain games work? Lots of people grumbled about buying a RAM expansion for the N64 and that was a one-time deal, having to continually upgrade to play the best stuff is the kind of ball-ache that people get consoles to avoid, if people were okay with the constant need to upgrade we'd all just be PC owners.

On the face of it, coming up with a baseline hardware model and letting other companies licence it is a great business model but as others say it's been tried before with the MSX and 3DO and both failed miserably. Plus it seems the specs will be different depending on which model you buy, which adds to the confusion. Valve's design doesn't include an optical drive but apparently some licencees will include one. For what? Will there be physical Steam Machine games? Will it run PC games? If so, which ones? Presumably not ones designed for Windows since it's purely Linux based. Will it play DVD or Blu-Ray movies? Nobody seems to know.

Sony won't be worried because the PS4 is already selling like hot cakes. Nintendo won't be worried because their first-party games, which are the key reason people buy Nintendo hardware, aren't available on Steam so it's unlikely to be competing in the same arena they are. MS... may be a little worried. A console heavily based around PC architecture with a similar line-up of games makes the Xbox the console Valve are most obviously targeting with the Steam Machine. But frankly, I doubt they're losing much sleep either.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360